Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tapping noise that sounds like it's coming from what appears to be a distributor, on the passenger side of engine. The noise goes away once the engine warms up. Is this the opda ? I've done some reading on the forum and I think that is what it is. Haven't had a lot of time to research, too busy with other things. If so, is it difficult to replace ? Is this something I can do or should I have a shop do it? I have a fairly good mechanical background, but this is my 1st Jeep and I've only had it a few months. Not real familiar w/this type of system. Btw, it has 66k on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I had some down time this afternoon and had a chance to do more research. Definitely the opda. The replacement procedure looks pretty straightforward, much the same as removing/installing a distributor. I understand indexing the pointer/housing/block, but is there anything else I should look for? Is a stock replacement the only one I can get ? Will it do the same thing in the future or has the manufacturer made improvements to it ? Once again, thanks !

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't want to be negative on the issue but do A LOT of research on the OPDA on the 05/06 TJ's. It kind of scares me thinking about the fact that such a silly thing as the OPDA can be so destructive to a motor. Basically they changed the design on the OPDA in 05 and it has a MAJOR flaw that puts a load on the shaft when it spins. The load it puts on the shaft cause abnormal gear wear on the camshaft gear. Needless to say it can make your motor go BOMB! There isn't a lot of info on this site about it and I'm not trying to send you to another forum or anything but the guys on Jeepforum have SOOOOO much info on this including mods to the OPDA that help the issue and it even gets as detailed as what oil has the highest zinc levels that put less load on the shaft. I'm not an expert by any means but have been to the stealership MANY times with an OPDA issue that they claim is not related to the OPDA at all....call me paranoid.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh and to answer your question last time I checked an OPDA was on back order until April of 2011....still on back order and they weren't able to give an availability date on them. No modification had been made as far as the dealership was aware of. Also the stock OPDA is the only one that is available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. A few more questions if y'all can bear w/me. If mine is still functioning, is it serviceable ? It's not squealing, just the tapping noise until it's warmed up. Can I replace just the shaft and bushing, or either one for that matter ? Will it hurt to drive it until I get it replaced ? Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the info. A few more questions if y'all can bear w/me. If mine is still functioning, is it serviceable ? It's not squealing, just the tapping noise until it's warmed up. Can I replace just the shaft and bushing, or either one for that matter ? Will it hurt to drive it until I get it replaced ? Thanks.

I drove mine cause I had no other choice and had to get to work. The scary part about it is you never know if the part of the shaft that isn't getting lubricated properly is just going to seize up and there goes your motor all because of a stupid oil pump design flaw. I don't think you can get the parts but it has been a year and a half since I have had any issues and haven't checked on availability. I would call the dealer tomorrow and see if you can order a whole new OPDA. If they are available let me know! lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple of more questions. When I get the new opda do I need to do any mods to it to prevent this from happening again ? Also, if it does seize up, does the engine shut down due to the cps not turning ? Just trying to avoid catastrophic damage. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts