Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install my CB in my JK and would like to tap power for it only when the key is in the ignition. Is this possible? Where is best? How about for a ground? Details please!

The manual says to go directly to the battery for both, but I'd like to keep the cb powered off the ignition just in case I leave it on when I exit the car to prevent a dead battery.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Wire it up to a cigarette plug and use the power plug on the dash, it's ignition active only. There's also a kit that taps the same cigarette plug on the dash and allows more to be used on that circuit.

Personally, I would just wire it direct and not worry about it. It's pretty hard to forget the CB is on as most use volume for the on/off switch too. Doing it this way also keeps electronic interference at a minimum.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Ground it to the factory points in the driver side footwell, run positive to the battery.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Never ever ever hook a CB up to anything but the battery if you're at all concerned about performance of the CB. For positive anyway. You can ground it directly to the factory ground points or could make your own. If you mount it to metal you can just ground it to one of the bolts for the mount...as long as you make sure that piece of metal is grounded GOOD. It better have a wire from it to the frame if its "good".

Basically, you'll get more radio frequency interference and less power from hooking the positive up to pretty much anything else. You won't notice it, but you'll have more noise and have to turn the squelch up, and because of that you'll miss weaker transmissions and lose a LOT of range. you wont notice it until you hook it up right.

CBs dont use much power to receive and you could leave it on for hours with no ill effect....someone will ask why the car is talking eventually.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points about interference. Where's the factory ground in the drivers foot well?

Also, what's the best way to get through the firewall to the battery for power?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Drill a hole and use a grommet. There should already be plugged holes if you dont have ac.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Theres a ground point beneath the kick panels you have to remove the panel to see it. Just a bunch of wires on a bolt.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If you killed the battery because you left your CB on, you have bigger issues than the CB being on.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Good points about interference. Where's the factory ground in the drivers foot well?

Also, what's the best way to get through the firewall to the battery for power?
I have a 2012 with automatic and AC. Who knows if that makes a difference. There are 2 ground points right near the door hook for the limiting strap. Use one of those. Don't drill something new.

Use a coat hangar, tape wire to it and poke through from the engine bay. My 2012 the access hole is on the driver side. The wire feeds down when pushing it through from the engine bay. You will see the wire near the floor if you push enough through.

In a 2013 with manual transmission and AC the access hole is on the passenger side. I wired up my brother's Jeep and was dumbfounded it was not on the driver side like I was used to. Easy to find though.

If you find it easy ground it all the way back to the battery, but you should not have to.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts