Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this Jeep has really squeezed my wallet. and I love it. but still, trying to save money and plan for the future. on my short list of 'must haves' is a cover for when I need protection temporarily, and a way to remove my hardtop. Its a 2 door Willys.
Now I plan to tackle the top myself when it warms and someones around in case I cant manage it alone, but based on videos Ive seen I should be able to handle it solo. winded story for naught, so my real question is what size tarp should I buy to cover my Jeep in case of rain? a search turned up 12x16 as sufficient for one person, but that seems too small to wrap around the door openings completely. I know covers are only like 60$, but again, really pinching the pennies right now.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm a tightwad at times. I keep meaning to order a cover. Instead I took the rain fly from an dome tent I had, and I use it. When I run topless i stuff it in back compartment. I've only had to use once, pretty good rain, but did it's job. The price was right too!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a tightwad at times. I keep meaning to order a cover. Instead I took the rain fly from an dome tent I had, and I use it. When I run topless i stuff it in back compartment. I've only had to use once, pretty good rain, but did it's job. The price was right too!
Hmm, I do have a rather large one of those, but I think the back would still be exposed and Im not pulling the carpet..yet

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hmm, I do have a rather large one of those, but I think the back would still be exposed and Im not pulling the carpet..yet
I didn't worry about the back, I've had it flooded once due to rain, but that was a real heavy rain. I spread out a couple beach towels, the next day I hung those up to dry, the back was barely damp. Just an option, not perfect but cheap. Keep eye out here on the for sale forum, often find a member selling one.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Wife and I used a 16x20 tarp for a long time before we broke down and purchased a Rain Gear cover for our JKU. I will say it doesn't stay any drier with the rain gear cover than the Tarp. It just looks better. Dry is dry my friend. BUT the plus with a tarp is you always have a good ground cover with you. we carry both now, just a bit smaller tarp.

When we pull our windows and doors we don't leave home without a good cover and adjustable lenth bungee cords from Harbor Frieght..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts