Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the oil in my tranny and tcase what should i use:confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
i have an 04 not sure if it is the same for all tjs-ruby,sahara,x,se mine is an x and called for atf+4 full synthetic im sure someone knows if its model specific or not?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found what i needed for the tcase.You use atf in it so I got full synthetic mobil 1.Still don't know what I need for my 5speed.:confused:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Ok, then you have an AX-15 transmission which requires a GL-3 or GL-4 75W-90 gear lube. NOT a GL-5.

The most popular gear lube for the AX-15 is Redline MT-90 available from Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030 or (more $$$) Red Line Oil MT-90 is a well-thought of synthetic gear lube that will work well. It's seldom available retail so I wouldn't bother looking around the local autoparts stores for it. Amsoil has a new GL-4 75W-90 synthetic that should work well too.

It's darned hard to find anything on the store shelves that is compatible with your AX-15 since most 75W-90 gear lubes found in auto parts stores are GL-5 which is not suitable for your tranny.

By the way, it's always a good idea to give all the basic info (year, engine, tranny at a minimum) about your particular Jeep while asking questions, it sure makes it easier for all concerned. :)

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
If you have a 99 then they recommend you use ATF+3 for the TCase.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
If you have a 99 then they recommend you use ATF+3 for the TCase.
ATF+4 is fine for the t-case too, so is Mercon. Unlike an automatic transmission that is very fussy about its ATF, the Jeep's chain-driven NP-231 could care less what kind of ATF it gets. Jeep only specifies the kind of ATF for the t-case so it matches the ATF the automatic transmission for that year requires. :)

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Yeah, I've had different stuff in my slush box, but I've found that the ATF+3 actually gives it a bit more lubrication. I think the little pump sometimes has some issues with the thicker stuff.

ATF+4 is fine for the t-case too, so is Mercon. Unlike an automatic transmission that is very fussy about its ATF, the Jeep's chain-driven NP-231 could care less what kind of ATF it gets. Jeep only specifies the kind of ATF for the t-case so it matches the ATF the automatic transmission for that year requires. :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
:confused: I thought ATF+3 and +4 had identical viscosities. No? :confused: So far as I know, they're the same viscosities but ATF+4 maintains its viscosity longer than ATF+3 does.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Entirely possible Jerry. I've found better love with the +3 than I have with any synthetics or thicker lubes.

I think the +4 has some kind of friction modifyer in it too right?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jerry.:D So was puting the mobil 1 full synthetic atf in my tcase a good or bad thing.:confused:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my manual says GL-5 for the tranny why is that?:)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have 4 qts of valvoline full synthetic 75W-90 just lying around it's gl-5 can I use this?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
my manual says GL-5 for the tranny why is that?:)
There were a couple years where Jeep mistakenly printed GL-5 but quietly went back to GL-3 in the shop manuals.

GL-5 doesn't cause immediate damage so there were no howls from owners who installed GL-5. What most GL-5 gear lubes do (some do not but they are in the minority) is cause slightly accelerated wear on soft yellow metals which is what our tranny's gear synchronizers are made out of. That's why Jeep quietly removed the GL-5 and replaced it with GL-3 in the shop manuals.

Note there are a few GL-5 75W-90 gear lubes that won't cause this problem but they are "botique" gear lubes like from Royal Purple and Amsoil so you probably won't find them on your local store shelves. They use a different non-sulphur based additive to make them GL-5 compatible rather than the sulphur-based additives used in the rest of the GL-5 gear lubes that are hard on the synchros.

GL-5 gear lubes are meant for our axles and the hypoid cut gears inside. :)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So if I put this in will my tranny crap out.Should I use it?:confused:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I heard penzoil sysncromesh was good?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts