Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the BFG All terrain tires on my Jeep. I am a newbie to trail riding and do not have much experience. Is there something I should do to my tires to assist with traction on rocky (some loose, some not) trails? Deflate some? Something else?

Just looking for some advice before i hit the Colorado trails in a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have bfg ko2s (c rated 35s). Less for traction but for more comfort, i air down to 15-20psi. Then cruise along at right speed for my suspension to absorb the rocks (ie not too slow that i climb on every piece of pebble but not too fast that that i start floating over huge rocks), this combo helps me quite a bit.

Airing down also helps with preventing punctures and that rocky terrain is prime for that.

Have fun, was just there a week ago and mountains were awesome.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,148 Posts
I have the BFG All terrain tires on my Jeep. I am a newbie to trail riding and do not have much experience. Is there something I should do to my tires to assist with traction on rocky (some loose, some not) trails? Deflate some? Something else?

Just looking for some advice before i hit the Colorado trails in a couple of weeks!
Yes, air down to 15-18psi and have fun.

·
Administrator
12,503 Posts
Also look under your jeep and see what hangs down. Then as you pick your line in the rocks keep those lower hanging points in mind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! So if I stick around 20 psi, there is little risk to loosing a bead? As to clearance that is a good idea. I do have multiple skid pans installed as well.

·
No Whining now....
229 Posts
I air down my 37s to ~13 psi and have no issues with bead loss thus far. Others have gone down even lower on the trails. I was reminded to "protect your pumpkins". In other words, try not to drive the differentials into rocks.
After you've aired down, take note of the clearance along your rocker panels. That's what you need to work with. Put the front tire on the obstacle and let the back tire follow.

Good luck, have fun and no whining now....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! That helps. Wish we knew more trail folks at the new place we live. Would be good to go with someone experienced to learn more about the technical aspects of trail riding prior to solo, but we don't have that.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hey now, thompsdw!
I have KO2s in 33x10.5x15, C rated. I regularly air down to 14-16 psi on the trail, and did just that on Sunday. I was able to crawl and claw a little rocky glen/garden without breaking anything, including a sweat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts