Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I l've been having my 2014 Willy's wheeler hardtop for a few months now, and I'm finding it to be very loud on the hwy. Now I do understand its a jeep and it will be loud. I did figure out that the previous owner never rotated the tires(24,000 miles without rotation) and they are worn improperly. I do plan on replacing them soon, since I believe they are the main culprit. However, I am concerned if I still want to go with the BF KM2s. It would really be nice to just replace three tires instead of five though. Before I decide on which tires, I would like to know which Mud Tires are best suited for everyday driving/quiteness? Also I do not want to go with an all terrain.

Also do boom mats help? And are there any other tricks for sound deadening?
Thanks, Matt

·
Premium Member
7,473 Posts
Also do boom mats help? And are there any other tricks for sound deadening?
Thanks, Matt
Those are the ones we have on ours. We have all-terrain tires on it, so there's not as much road noise as there would be with off-road tires. The Boom Mats do help with the sound deadening as well as insulation in the hot summer and cold winter. They're available in 3 colors for around $165 from Quadratec.

·
Registered
516 Posts
All mud tires are going to be loud. that's a given and probably why you haven't got much of a response. There are middle of the road tires that provide an aggressive look, better road manners, less noise, and good off road performance. Sorta like a bridge between AT and MT. Take a look at these tires:

Goodyear Duratracs
Cooper St Maxx
Toyo Opencountry RT

Swap your four on the floor and keep your spare. No one will notice.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
As stated, mud tires are going to be louder on the road. We have the boom mats in our JKU and are very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Those stock MT's are not good on road and need frequent rotations to keep the cupping and noise down. When others drive my jeep, they say it feels like it's driving on marbles.

I can't wait for mine to wear out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My bf Goodrich km2 in 35 were almost silent for 10k miles. Rotated them and man they sound like an airplane. So next set I will not be rotating them. I know it sounds silly but its that or rotate every 3500-4k wich is silly. Couple friends said it might quiet down shortly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All mud tires are going to be loud. that's a given and probably why you haven't got much of a response. There are middle of the road tires that provide an aggressive look, better road manners, less noise, and good off road performance. Sorta like a bridge between AT and MT. Take a look at these tires:

Goodyear Duratracs
Cooper St Maxx
Toyo Opencountry RT

Swap your four on the floor and keep your spare. No one will notice.
I don't mind them being loud, but my set is oppressive. You can easily visually see that each knob is worn at different heights. I got them rotated recently, and they are starting to even out. I actually find they drive pretty good, and have never had problems in the wet, which it seems a lot of people have problems with the KM2s.

I read the sticky on tire size, but it did not say "exactly" the largest size you can fit in the Duratracs and Toyo's you mentioned. Would anyone have experience with those and size on stock suspension? I would love to do some suspension mods, but I don't have the money/time right now. The only problems with swapping all the tires is having a non-complete set bothers me, lol. I'm a bit O.C.D. Do people know of anyway to sell one tire lol?
I probably will have to invest in the boommats no matter what, my end goal is to quite the interior as much as possible
Thanks, Matt

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,071 Posts
I rotate my MTs every 5k miles. I notice a slight increase and "imbalance" for a few hundred miles after the rotation, but then it subsides. Got 16k miles on them now without any wear issues or loud noise

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My bf Goodrich km2 in 35 were almost silent for 10k miles. Rotated them and man they sound like an airplane. So next set I will not be rotating them. I know it sounds silly but its that or rotate every 3500-4k wich is silly. Couple friends said it might quiet down shortly.
That's how mine are. I rotated at around 15k just because of the visual cupping. After that rotation they were loud as hell for 500 or so miles.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I rotate my tires every oil change, every 3K. I know that's more often than some people will say is necessary, but that's how good old Dad taught me many years ago and it stuck. I run Mastercraft MXT mud terrains and they have zero odd wear issues.

What size wheels do you have? You can fit a narrow 33" tire with no lift or wheel spacers. you'll just have to be mind full off road and probably keep your sway bar connected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need help! I am looking to get new tires on my wrangler. I hate the 16in stock tires and I want to upgrade to a bigger more agressive all terrain. I am looking for a look like the left picture and mines is on the right. I was thinking of buying the usual stock sahara wheels 18in. Does anyone have any advice

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rotate my tires every oil change, every 3K. I know that's more often than some people will say is necessary, but that's how good old Dad taught me many years ago and it stuck. I run Mastercraft MXT mud terrains and they have zero odd wear issues.

What size wheels do you have? You can fit a narrow 33" tire with no lift or wheel spacers. you'll just have to be mind full off road and probably keep your sway bar connected.
I have the Rubicon 17"s with 255/75/17. I was thinking of a 285/75/17, unless there is a preferred size. Could I get away with just spacers on that tire size? Also if I did consider a lift, (2-3in) would it be best to keep my rubicon shocks and go with a budget boost, or do a complete overhaul with premium shocks(fox or something like that)? I don't know much about lifts, and I don't know which ones are good. I figure the mopar one would be great, but it's just so darn expensive. I would like to retain the driving character/ride. Also I wouldn't be doing this anytime too soon.

Has anybody tried adding sound deadener under the carpets? I was watching bitch'n rides yesterday and they were restoring an old truck and they added stick on(looked like a foil) sound deadener right against the metal of the floor board. Which got me thinking, with how easy it is to remove the carpets in a jeep, I could just remove them apply the deadener to the floorboard and lay the carpet right Where it was. Does that sound like a good or bad idea? Or has anyone tried similar?
I think it was something like this http://m.summitracing.com/parts/dyc-xgmf2u?seid=srese1&gclid=CPK_yvrQgMsCFZQjgQoduzYOBw
Thanks, Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts