Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night, my son and I went to remove the skid pâté that is under the tranny. When we took one side off I found that the tranny was resting on the skid plate!!! I quickly jacked that skid pâté back up and bolted it back......is something wrong with our jeep?? Justin

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would check your tranny mounts. The skid plate is supposed to protect your tranny not support it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Was it resting on, or attached? Your transmission is attached to your skid plate and must be unbolted before you lower the skidplate. If it was resting metal on metal your trans mount bushings are shot or missing, an easy fix with new mount, otherwise unbolt it, support the tranny and drop the skid plate.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Your tranny actually should bolt to it. There is a center trans mount that has two nuts you have to loosen. Then also on the pas. side of the trans there is a torque stud mount. You have to loosen these and jack up the TC output and support the trans from there. After that go ahead and continue lowering the skid plate.

·
Registered
332 Posts
So last night, my son and I went to remove the skid pâté that is under the tranny. When we took one side off I found that the tranny was resting on the skid plate!!! I quickly jacked that skid pâté back up and bolted it back......is something wrong with our jeep?? Justin
Your skidplate is the support for the tranny. There is a mount bolted to the trans and then to the skidplate. Put a jack with a block of wood on the oil pan and you can remove the plate. Do not jack up the engine, just support it. There is three bolts sticking out of the bottom of the plate, 2 are 5/8 and one is 9/16 (pretty sure) remove those bolts before you try to remove the plate. There's nothing wrong!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys so much. This my first jeep and it came in a box.....most assembly required. My sons first car if I an get it going. Thanks again for the support!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your skidplate is the support for the tranny. There is a mount bolted to the trans and then to the skidplate. Put a jack with a block of wood on the oil pan and you can remove the plate. Do not jack up the engine, just support it. There is three bolts sticking out of the bottom of the plate, 2 are 5/8 and one is 9/16 (pretty sure) remove those bolts before you try to remove the plate. There's nothing wrong!
Thanks for the step by step. I need it lol

·
Registered
704 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Jay, I hope you get the Jeep running right and your son enjoys his first JEEP....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Us red jeep guys arr sew gud, an smrt two

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
and you all have red Jeeps. Weird!!!!:rofl:
That was the first thing I noticed too.... Not too shabby, especially considering that I had no idea what to tell the OP. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts