Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first jeep and the temperature gauge does not move. I replace the thermostat and gasket and that did not fix anything. If I need a new gauge can I just get one at the dealer and do they just plug in?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
first check the sending unit. it is all the way to the rear just behind or next to the valve cover. one wire. could be disconnected. the one up front with the two wires is not the one that sends to the temp gauge.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was dark outside and I was in a hurry because the ole lady was mad at me for buying the jeep. I will check them both out. If the sending unit is connected and I'm still getting no reading should I just replace it. $43.99 at orielly

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked and on the drives side there was a brown and yellow wire the ended in a connector that was unplugged. I couldn't find where it might go. Does the sending unit screw down into something or does it screw into the side of something?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Like said above the sending unit sensor is a small one wire sensor that plugs in to the back driverside of the top of the head. Right next to the valve cover. One side will be screwed into the head the other will be a one wire plug and they connect. And autozone should have a sending unit for like $10.00.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
It was dark outside and I was in a hurry because the ole lady was mad at me for buying the jeep. I will check them both out. If the sending unit is connected and I'm still getting no reading should I just replace it. $43.99 at orielly
I don't know what they tried to sell you but neither the temp sending unit or the temp sensor sending unit cost that much.......

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
the temp sender should be $8-$10. the sensor up front is $30 plus.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Garyk said:
I don't know what they tried to sell you but neither the temp sending unit or the temp sensor sending unit cost that much.......
I was just looking at the website. I was prob looking at the wrong thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but how do you test the temp sending unit with a voltmeter? I just replaced mine (the one near the firewall) Should the engine be running? voltmeters confuse the heck out of me... so the more detail the better... (past connecting the black to ground... I get that part)

I think my gauge is bad and I am trying to figure out if its the gauge, the wire from the unit to the gauge, or the sending unit...
Any help to troubleshoot would be great... the gauges are laying in my passenger seat as I type and I want to get it fixed today...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Turn your meter to ohms. Put your red lead on the plugin; your black on the body. if you have a curcit it will meter will move if not the unit has no curcit and it is bad

·
Registered
39 Posts
OHMS is the little upside down horseshoe looking symbol? (Omega symbol) In the My meter has 20m 2m 200k 20k 2k 200 the speaker looking symbol and an arrow with a small cross symbol. Which one should I turn the dial too? And also, engine running or not?

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are correct with the Ohms setting. Motor off, unplug wire and the test for continuity with the Ohms symble on your meter, like described.

·
Registered
1 Posts
temp gauge issues

k i have a 94 yj with the 2.5 my temp gauge isnt working correctly. No its not the sensors. It goes up to 100° will not read higher. I jiggle the wire harness on the fire wall n it come on but as soon as i start driving or hit a bump it goes back to 100° anyone know what to look at. This issue is causing my motor to dump to much fuel into the injectors which in terms is filling my oil up with fuel which will blow my motor very soon

·
Registered
665 Posts
k i have a 94 yj with the 2.5 my temp gauge isnt working correctly. No its not the sensors. It goes up to 100° will not read higher. I jiggle the wire harness on the fire wall n it come on but as soon as i start driving or hit a bump it goes back to 100° anyone know what to look at. This issue is causing my motor to dump to much fuel into the injectors which in terms is filling my oil up with fuel which will blow my motor very soon
Check for a break in the wire of a loose or dirty connection to the sensor. Mine had the same problem, replaced the sensor problem fixed. After looking at the old sensor found that it was broken inside and would only make connection sometimes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts