Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have searched through the tech forum before posting and found a few people that had issues with overheating (or the Gauge telling them so) but not the other way around. This just started two days ago:

When the Jeep is cold, I start driving and the Temp gauge takes a while to even move anywhere. The Jeep hick-ups if I give her too much gas: no big deal. Then the temp needle starts to rise and later falls ALL the way back down again.

When the needle is down, she has all of the typical "cold" issues. The hick-ups, idles a bit higher than normal. If I gun the gas, the temp needle races back up to normal. After a while of driving, this behavior stops altogether...

Thankful for any feedback.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's possible that your thermostat is bad, hence the length of time it takes to get warmed up. You could also have some air in the system from not getting all if the air purged from the cooling system (if you have flushed/changed your coolant) or you may be losing coolant somewhere. The leak could be external or internal. If the radiator and/or overflow bottle appear low top it off and monitor it. At any rate I'm willing to bet that there is air in the system from either of these scenarios. That air travels around and can end up at the coolant temp sensor and make it read a low temp. The computer reads this low temp and makes the engine run open loop (I.e. High idle for warm up) which is why you're getting a higher idle like you described. It could be a faulty sensor but I doubt it based on your description. In short: check your coolant and add to it and then monitor it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts