Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My temperature gauge was running high on my 93 4.0L. I replaced the radiator, hoses, thermostat, and the cap, and changed the coolant. The system cools perfectly when driving; I drove a lengthy distance from what I normally drive to work today doing about 50 mph for 20 miles or so each way. The temp gauge was reading below 210, it was actually quite cool. However, when I idle for longer than 30 seconds, the gauge rises past 210, all the way to about 230 or 240. It never goes beyond that point, but when I rev the motor while idling, the gauge moves back below 210. Water pump looked good when I did the radiator and it seems to work while driving. No noises or chattering indicating a bad pump. Could it be a fan issue? Bad gauge? This issue existed before I changed the radiator too

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I would replace the fan clutch

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would replace the fan clutch
And just to start the neverending argument all over again . . . get a Flex fan!

Less weight. No moving parts. Nothing to wear out!

No stuck in the middle of nowhere because some magic juice leaked or got gummed up.

No noticeable HP loss. It's a Jeep!

-

I have a flex fan on my '93 and '90 YJs.

And I've had the same flex fan on my '66 El Camino since 1978 with no problems!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Agree, it's an indication of a bad fan clutch or possibly a slipping belt.
Check how easy it is to turn the fan when it's cold

Not having a shroud can do the same thing. If you have a shroud, it's the clutch, if you don't have a shroud, install one or space the fan closer to radiator.

·
Super Moderator
12,680 Posts
And just to start the neverending argument all over again . . . get a Flex fan!

Less weight. No moving parts. Nothing to wear out!

No stuck in the middle of nowhere because some magic juice leaked or got gummed up.

No noticeable HP loss. It's a Jeep!

-

I have a flex fan on my '93 and '90 YJs.

And I've had the same flex fan on my '66 El Camino since 1978 with no problems!
I expected a crapstorm on this one. Flex fan VS. a stock clutch fan.
I guess it's been beat to death enough.:deadhorse:

Flex seems to work for Tophog. Me, I bought an OE fan clutch.

Name your poison.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Airslot and Tophog

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Keep the clutch type fan and just get a new clutch. MOPAR original is the best.
Flex fans break, too. and tend to be loud.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Keep the clutch type fan and just get a new clutch. MOPAR original is the best.
Flex fans break, too. and tend to be loud.
Yes, they can break. Anything can!

But on a typical Jeep running at 2k to 3k rev's, not likely with a quality one.

I've had my 400hp 327 spinning at over 5k, with the original flex fan bought in 1978. And it's still on the Elkie and functioning properly.

Noise is not really noticeable. The headers, exhaust and stereo make way more sound.

Just sayin' . . . not all flex fans are trouble. But if I was running a clutch fan on the trail, I would at least pack a flex fan and spacer, just in case I needed to get home. Less space, cheaper and still functional.

YMMV

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, they can break. Anything can!

But on a typical Jeep running at 2k to 3k rev's, not likely with a quality one.

I've had my 400hp 327 spinning at over 5k, with the original flex fan bought in 1978. And it's still on the Elkie and functioning properly.

Noise is not really noticeable. The headers, exhaust and stereo make way more sound.

Just sayin' . . . not all flex fans are trouble. But if I was running a clutch fan on the trail, I would at least pack a flex fan and spacer, just in case I needed to get home. Less space, cheaper and still functional.

YMMV
So I changed the coolant and replaced the fan clutch. Now I have the opposite problem. My Jeep doesn't heat up to operating temp. Gauge stops between 100 and 210 but never past that.

ForumRunner_20170723_163715.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
So I changed the coolant and replaced the fan clutch. Now I have the opposite problem. My Jeep doesn't heat up to operating temp. Gauge stops between 100 and 210 but never past that.
What's wrong with 210? Mine runs around 200-205.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's wrong with 210? Mine runs around 200-205.
I meant the line between 100 and 210. It doesn't go past that. I got a new thermostat today, gonna see if I can change it without completely draining all the coolant since I just replaced it 2 days ago by using a siphon

·
Registered
723 Posts
Do you have an infrared heat gun? Check the thermostat housing. Check the radiator hose for temp change when the thermostat opens.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I been running a flex fan on my jeep since the late 90's it's louder but i like the sound of it. I never had any over heating problems and it's much lighter weight, i love it.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Yeah, most likely thermostat related. Always use OEM thermostats. Aftermarket are problematic

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Gah...another shroudless heathen

I have to modify some things before i put the shroud back on. The core of the radiator is to thick to mount the power steering reservoir and i need to buy some new bolts because this champion radiator has metric threads in it. I didn't plan on leaving it schroudless for very long but it don't get hot so i ended up putting it on the back burner.

Reactions: Airslot and DREDnot
1 - 16 of 16 Posts