Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 wrangler sahara and swaped the IL6 4.2l (that was converted to fuel injection) out with a IL6 4.0l out of an 98 wrangler and the temp sensor hasent been working because the temp sending unit that was on the head of the 4.2l isent on the head of the 4.0 so put a T fitting on the thermostat housing and put the temp sensor that was on the 4.2l head and the sensor that was on the housing in the T fitting. The gauge didnt move at all so I grounded the gauge out and it was pinned then put a different temp sending unit sensor in and it still didnt move.

Then I bought a mechanical temp qauge and After I did that I drove around for a bit and the gauge stayed around 120-130* but when I shut it off and let er sit for 5min the gauge went up to 160*. I would like an accurate reading of my temp and I dont want to drill into the head. Any ideas??
Would putting the sensor into the engine blocks drain plug make a difference?

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
303 Posts
It probably is accurate. The water pump and fan are mechanical, so when you shut the engine off, the coolant isn't circulating. The block then heats the stagnant coolant up. I've had a hose burst due to this on a different vehicle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts