Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the head gasket, installed a new tstat at that time also. Run it for a bit and it hit 260 so took out new tstat and put old one back in it would never go past the first mark past 100 so i just got another one and put in it and now at idle it runs at 210 then start driving it and it goes up to 248 and then drops down back down when you let out of the gas. What is going on? Should i drive it like that or replace another tstat? the one in it is a 195. Thing about it is its been about 33 degrees outside today. Oh its a 92 yj with a 2.5 :banghead:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Go back to basics.....Make sure you have all the air bleed out of the system first.. Could be as simple as that..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Def bleed the system but also take a look at your water pump, never had it happen to me but heard of quite a few dead water pumps that had the impeler so warn away that it was having trouble moving the coolant

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
If it's over heating during idle, my guess would be the fan clutch. Try and spin it by hand to see if it is tight or not.

Also, 210* is normal operating temperature for an I-6 in Wranglers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thing is it ran cool with the old tstat in it. to cold thats why i replaced it. now its hot the day i change it. i will try to get the air out. how do you get the air out i've never had a problem like this usually change it and fill it back up & just drive them with no problems till this one.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i would go buy a fail safe thermostat and see if you just happened to get a bad stat from the store.
and also replace your rad. cap
and test your fan clutch . spin fan by hand and it should have drag to it and not spin freely .
it helps to bleed air by squeezing the bottom rad hose a few times during filling and after topping of the system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
check your sender make sure your getting good signal, check engine temp with temp gun make sure it is really getting to hot

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's over heating during idle, my guess would be the fan clutch. Try and spin it by hand to see if it is tight or not.

Also, 210* is normal operating temperature for an I-6 in Wranglers.

not sure if im right here but isnt a 2.5 an I-4? i have a 94 wrangler which is a 2.5 and an I-4 i could be VERY wrong though

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled the head back off it was warped. Sent it off tonight to get surfaced. I will be happy to drive my jeep again.
9o

1 - 10 of 10 Posts