Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what they run temp wise on their yj. I seem to always be pushing the redline on mine at about 220-230. Seems a little high to me. But, it never crosses the redline.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It all depends on what thermostat you have installed, 230 does seem high for the engine. I have mine running at 210 for the 2.5L

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, it sounds like I am running hot. If the jeep has straight antifreeze in would it also run hot...then with fifty fifty antifreeze and water?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hmm that is interesting, I've never heard of a vehicle running on straight anti-freeze. Anti-freeze's main job is to, well, stop the water from freezing. Water has really good heat absorption characteristics, I know older cars used straight water, but I never heard of straight antifreeze, interesting.

Well if you need to change I would say go ahead and use the 50/50. Maybe you could also look in to running a more viscous oil. Since oil is the engines primary way of dissipating heat, if its too thin it won't absorb as much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I need to change the antifreeze/water. I just bought this jeep a couple of months ago and really don't know what's in it? So probably good idea to put a mix I know in it.

What type oil do you use in your jeep?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Flush it and refill 50/50. Get some good oil and you might just want to change the thermostat at the same time you can get an OE spec 195 stat and ask for the failsafe so if it fails it iis in the open position. Running hotter or colder messes with optimum performance and ultimately fuel mileage. Mine always hangs within 10 degrees of 210 all year round.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jokerchief462 said:
Flush it and refill 50/50. Get some good oil and you might just want to change the thermostat at the same time you can get an OE spec 195 stat and ask for the failsafe so if it fails it iis in the open position. Running hotter or colder messes with optimum performance and ultimately fuel mileage. Mine always hangs within 10 degrees of 210 all year round.
Sounds like a good weekend project! Thanks for the advice Joker.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
My 2.5 usually sits around 205/210.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put an electric fan switch on mine to help with gas mileage and if cuts on and off going down the road. It's kinda worrying me cuz it's getting right at the red line then when the fan kicks on it will slowly drop to about 210. Then wen the fan goes off it very slowly goes back up to right before the red line. It has never crossed the red line tho. Wat could be my problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts