Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as temporary rim protection? During my first off-road experience, when my Jeep was only 6 days old, I took it up and over a very rocky trail and I ground the aluminum rims up against some rocks producing what I now know to be called "curb rash".

In March, I'll be getting a lift and upgrading my 32" tires to 35" tires which should result in a slightly more "puffy" rubber profile, but the aluminum will still be vulnerable and in aluminum versus rock, aluminum cuts like melted butter.

Is there some plastic thing I can slap onto the rims before going off-road as a first defense against grinding or am I just going to have to get used to seeing gashes and cuts in my rims and accept that as a fact of off-roading life?

The stock rubicon rims are awesome and I love the little FJ Willy stamp that they all have and I want to keep these rims intact as long as possible.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Honestly, if you are gonna play in the rocks, nothing is really gonna stop you from seeing that.

Just about every rig I wheel with has scrapes on their wheels...its just something that happens with that kind of wheeling. Almost every edge of my wheel is silver from being scraped along the rocks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask. I've looked at catalogues and seen body armor for every part of the Jeep body, skid plates to armor the under side, but nothing to protect the rims. I guess it's just too hard to protect a rim without suffocating the brakes.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
That's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask. I've looked at catalogues and seen body armor for every part of the Jeep body, skid plates to armor the under side, but nothing to protect the rims. I guess it's just too hard to protect a rim without suffocating the brakes.
The only thing I can think of is with different wheels...real beadlocks or fake beadlocks have lock rings/beauty rings. These are replaceable...so once they get chewed up too much you can replace them. This will get pricey though.

Just wheel it and enjoy it, the wheels can handle it :thumb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Plastidip... It will fix those rims right up for ya..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts