Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. It is exciting times, as my wife is expecting a future jeeper due to arrive in April. Problem is, she drives the 4 door JKUR that has 35s and a 2.5 inch lift that sits a little high. Its not too much of a problem for her to get in now, but I imagine that once the belly balloons out a bit more, it will become a bit iffy. I'd let her drive my unlifted 2 door Recon with the step rockers on it, if she knew how to drive stick. I'd teach her to drive stick, if she'd just "stick" to it ;)

Anyway, I'd really like ideas on a cheaper, more temporary solution that doesn't involve switching out to different rockers, perhaps something that I can mount onto the stock Rubi ones and take back off once the little one arrives. Anyone know of anything like this? I've found some ...possible, iffy solutions, but would like to see what the experts come up with.

I also want to note, that I offered to trade in the Recon for a more "practical" vehicle, but she shut me down and told me that she didn't want me to get rid of it. I though that was the sweetest thing in the world and had no hesitation of taking back the idea... though she knows without saying it is still on the table.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For elderly people I use a small wooden bench, with a height of, more or less, half the way between the car and the ground. Its cheap, rather stable, and you can put it easily in the trunk or get rid of it when you want. Size is about 12 inches (30cm) high, 8 inches (20cm) wide and 16 inches (40cm) long.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Milk crate with short rope so she can pull it in after her and throw it in the back seat.
A good friend was doing this for his wife when I first started Jeeping 20+ years ago. He had 6” lift on 37s so it was a challenge for her as they were in their early 60s and she was vertically challenged. The arrangement worked well and she was able to continue to go on trail rides.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,878 Posts
What do you have now? Rubi rails or sliders? Rails have the tube that comes out and the rail tucks up against the body providing zero step. There are a few options for a single and temporary step that's inexpensive.

Less than $100 you can buy Sahara take off steps. Sits about 1" lower than the pinch seam, but has a wide foot perch for traction.

$100 for these 3" tube steps. Similar idea.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12004_310X_PG.htm

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats!

I don't think you are going to find much that fit onto the Rubi rails as a temp solution.

I'd agree with the Sahara steps off Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Usually they are pretty common, cheap, and only takes a few minutes to swap out the stock steps/rails for the Sahara ones.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
If stock Rubicon rock rails are on it, how about ACE rock rails or Barricade from ET. They both mount with the factory rock rail.

I have the Barricades on my Jeep.
Not do much for the step, but more parking lot protection.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
For elderly people I use a small wooden bench, with a height of, more or less, half the way between the car and the ground. Its cheap, rather stable, and you can put it easily in the trunk or get rid of it when you want. Size is about 12 inches (30cm) high, 8 inches (20cm) wide and 16 inches (40cm) long.

In a very similar way, I keep on of these folded up in the back, and put it out for any passenger unable to handle the height.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
We did the same as what Walta showed and laced 550 cord the the handle with a loop at the other end to go on the door handle. The wife steps up and pulls the cord in with the folding stool and sets it in the back seat.

·
Premium Member
9,609 Posts
What @WaltA said and @9Mike2 said. Works like a champ 90% of the time.

Reactions: RJames55

·
Registered
357 Posts
In a very similar way, I keep on of these folded up in the back, and put it out for any passenger unable to handle the height.

I have one of these that I typically keep in the garage and use to help clean and wax the roof of the Jeep. When my parents come up to visit, I toss it into the Jeep so my vertically challenged 70 y/o mother can climb in and out.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and RJames55

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll suggest the M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step. My wife struggled to get into the Jeep, so I have one on the passenger side. These are very unassuming and work find with rock rails or rock sliders. You can remove the step portion by just pulling a pin and reinstall it just as easily.

They remind me a little of the folding steps that old Defenders and Series Land Rovers used to have.

https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/hide-a-step/products/hide-a-step-jk

Not the best video, but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
Another thought is to pick up a used minivan or sedan to run for the next year or so and keep the Jeep.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 73 year old wife has been in very poor health as in using a wheel chair of walker at times.

I had to build her a box just to get her easily in and out of a van. Some scrap Pressure treated 6x6 pieces . Build a square and put a top on it it is about 7 inches high 14 wide and 16 long . Nice and sturdy. I set it down, get her in and then put it away.

I also think the folding step would work very well and as they say with a cord she could use it and then pull it in after her.

I would try that first .

For one thing you could have that solution up and working in a hour or two depending on how close you are to stores.

You will eventually need the stool / step for the child. The folding one can be used for many task and folded hang on garage wall for 4 years till you need it for the child to use.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts