Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big bear two door 2017 with 265/70/17 tires now but will be upgrading to 285/70/17 soon. I get my leveling kit in tomorrow and was hoping to install it this weekend but I see Tera flex states I need wheel spacers. Do I?

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts
285's are borderline, some do and some don't... However, it will look a mile better if you do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
285's are borderline, some do and some don't... However, it will look a mile better if you do.
^^^ X 3

I have stock tires and it just looks like it should have from the factory. The kit was a b to install though. Fronts can be done without taking the tires off but the rear. Take the tires off and have a long pry bar you can put through the spring all the way to the pumpkin to compress it enough to get back in. Also with BP Blaster White Lithium grease I was able to get the rear spacers in by hand. Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ X 3

I have stock tires and it just looks like it should have from the factory. The kit was a b to install though. Fronts can be done without taking the tires off but the rear. Take the tires off and have a long pry bar you can put through the spring all the way to the pumpkin to compress it enough to get back in. Also with BP Blaster White Lithium grease I was able to get the rear spacers in by hand. Good luck!
Can you post a pic with your stock rims and tires? Do you have a rubicon with 265/70/17 like me?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you post a pic with your stock rims and tires? Do you have a rubicon with 265/70/17 like me?

255/75/17 - Do not have a good before photo but they are as advertised 1 1/12" farther out then before. Can not wait for them to wear out!!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh so you do have wheel spacers. I'm trying to not have to use these. Thanks for posting a pic. How did it look without them?

·
Registered
276 Posts
For looks alone the spacers are worth it, and a must if you run wider/bigger tires. The stock tires will poke a tiny bit so you will get more spray. So far no nicks on the body but the rear fenders will get beat - like any otber jeep that has seen offroad

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can get away on the street without them for a good while but will probably rub at full lock. Off-road, you will need them.

Or, at least, I did for my 285's. I ran 2 months on the street without them and finally gave in because when I back out of an inclined drive, the front tire will wedge a bit and loose steering radius. So, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers are going on this weekend.

I am also running them on my ZJ and they are great.

·
Super Moderator
4,557 Posts
You will not need the wheel spacers with the 265 tires. You might with the wider 285 tires. You may also just be able to trim the plastic air dam if you have that. If you have the AEV air dam you should be fine.
You do not need the spacers to install the leveling kit. Wheel spacers are mainly about wider tires and rubbing when you turn them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts