Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 33's on my jeep for around a few months ago, I've taken it off-road 2 times since I got the 33's. I've rubbed my fenders pretty bad once, so it brings me to my new dilemma I need a slight lift. Obviously I hardly need a lift at all, which is why I'm looking at this 1.5 leveling kit to allow me to fully flex and slightly better height for getting over obstacles. My real question is how badly will this effect the ride quality of the jeep and stability on highways? Would the AEV geometry correction brackets help? would this amount of lift change any of the jeeps suspension geometry's in the first place? what can I expect? I'm not too keen on cutting the fenders but I would consider it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Fairly new to me 2017 JKU Willys, completely stock until a couple of weeks ago. I added bumpers, winch, and lights that dropped the front 1 1/4” and rear 3/4”. The mechanic that installed this equipment recommended the Teraflex leveling kit and I had it installed last week. There were no changes to the Jeep’s suspension geometry. I watched about a dozen videos on this kit, including one done by Teraflex, because I had the same questions as you.

The ride quality and stability improved dramatically and I thought it drove well before. With about 500 miles on this modification I’m very pleased with it.

For the most part this is a daily driver. I’m completely new to off-roading and plan to use it mainly to explore the dirt/gravel country roads near me and I have no plans for bigger tires.

I wish you luck with your decision.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fairly new to me 2017 JKU Willys, completely stock until a couple of weeks ago. I added bumpers, winch, and lights that dropped the front 1 1/4” and rear 3/4”. The mechanic that installed this equipment recommended the Teraflex leveling kit and I had it installed last week. There were no changes to the Jeep’s suspension geometry. I watched about a dozen videos on this kit, including one done by Teraflex, because I had the same questions as you.

The ride quality and stability improved dramatically and I thought it drove well before. With about 500 miles on this modification I’m very pleased with it.

For the most part this is a daily driver. I’m completely new to off-roading and plan to use it mainly to explore the dirt/gravel country roads near me and I have no plans for bigger tires.

I wish you luck with your decision.
Is there a way to keep the factory rake with the teraflex leveling kit? I want it to still have that slight leaning forward to allow for "better" aerodynamics XD Does the kit allow for 1 inch up front and 1 in the back?

·
Registered
503 Posts
if you got the spacer kit instead of the spring kit you could just use one spacer up front instead of the two and that would leave the rake in.
BTW, there ain't no aerodynamics when you're talking Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I have had 33's on my jeep ...I've rubbed my fenders pretty bad once,... I'm looking at this 1.5 leveling kit to allow me to fully flex and slightly better height for getting over obstacles.
If the kit you use does not add bump stop spacers, then you will continue to rub. I don't see bump stop spacers on the basic Teraflex spacer lift (not sure if that is what you are looking at).

I would suggest looking into the AEV 2" spacer lift. It comes with bump stop spacers. You can also leave the rear spring factory rubber isolators in place to privide slightly more lift in the rear than the front.

Now, no matter what, your suspension geometry will be impacted as you lift the vehicle. The axles will shift and your front caster will decrease. With a small 1.5-2" lift, there typically isn't enough change to warrant adjustable track bars of correction brackets (or slightly longer front LCAs, like the Teraflex Sport arms).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had the level kit for a couple of years, no problems. I replaced that with RK 1.5 springs, little more lift and I think a better ride but for the money you can't go wrong with the level kit. Only use one spacer in the front if you want to keep any rake. You might have to re-center the stearing wheel, super easy to do. Maybe some longer front LCA's.

Throw on some Rancho 5000X shocks and you'll be happy.

Level kit and 255/85/16 tires

RK 1.5 spring lift 255/85/16 tires

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,316 Posts
WOW.

Most leveling kits will continue to allow a factory rake. AEV 2" leveling kit maintains a factory rake. All of this too is dependent on what else is on your rig. Bumpers, skids, roof rack, tire carrier, winch, bigger wheel and tire on tire carrier.

Where you will notice a difference in ride quality is lifting your rig with spacers and adding all of the equipment above. Your stock springs are not going to be up tot the task ride wise with all of the equipment AND being lifted AND loading you and your buddies and their gear to go camping, etc. Spring lifts are the only real option to maintain drivability with a heavy rig. Keeping it light? Probably not an issue.

Also, Geo brackets arent recommended until 2.5" lift, ie; a proper spring lift.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
AEV 2" leveling kit maintains a factory rake.
It depends how you install the kit, but you will always lose at least some of the factory rake with the AEV kit.

The AEV kit has 2" spacers for the front, and the front factory spring isolators are retained, so you get 2" of lift. For the rear, the spacers are about 1.5", but the AEV instructions specify to remove the factory spring isolators which are about .5" thick, so you get about 1" of rear lift. This will get rid of 1" of the factory rake.

Although it is not in the installation instructions, AEV states that you can retain the rear spring isolators to provide more rake. This configuration gets you 2" front lift and 1.5" rear lift, so you only lose .5" of factory rake.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ran the Teraflex 1.5 levelling kit (pucks not springs) for 2 years and it did not change the ride noticeably IMO. It simply gave me a bit more room in the fender wells.

I've since moved on to the 2.5" metalcloak gamechanger and sing its praises every time I drive it. It's just so much better than the stock suspension with or without the levelling kit.

If you're located somewhere close to New Mexico, I have the TF kit sitting in the garage unused

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I’m pretty set on the teraflex leveling kit. I plan on using 1 inch front and back to maintain rake. Will 1 inch in the front be enough to clear my 285/70r17s. Currently I rub fenders at full flex. Will 1 inch fix this do you think? Do i need longer bump stops?

·
Registered
503 Posts
maybe add some wheel spacers to the mix.
After I put the kit on my front drivers side tire would rub on the sway bar link sometimes added some spidertrax spacers and no problems since.

And no, you don't need any changes to the bumpstops

·
Super Moderator
5,888 Posts
So I’m pretty set on the teraflex leveling kit. I plan on using 1 inch front and back to maintain rake. Will 1 inch in the front be enough to clear my 285/70r17s. Currently I rub fenders at full flex. Will 1 inch fix this do you think? Do i need longer bump stops?
While your plan is basically sound, if you have issues with your larger tires rubbing adding a set of one inch spring spacers won’t stop that. They may reduce how often the tires rub, but without bump stop extensions the tires will still rub.
You could couple the one inch spacers with one inch bump stop extensions, and that might be enough to stop the rubbing. You would loose one inch of suspension travel, though. But a better option would be a proper two to two and a half inch lift.
Also, as mentioned, you may want wheel spacers for that size tires on stock wheels.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While your plan is basically sound, if you have issues with your larger tires rubbing adding a set of one inch spring spacers won’t stop that. They may reduce how often the tires rub, but without bump stop extensions the tires will still rub.
You could couple the one inch spacers with one inch bump stop extensions, and that might be enough to stop the rubbing. You would loose one inch of suspension travel, though. But a better option would be a proper two to two and a half inch lift.
Also, as mentioned, you may want wheel spacers for that size tires on stock wheels.
Forgot to mention I don’t have stock wheels, I’ve got aftermarket ones with 4.7 backspacing, I do not rub while turning at all. I do however rub the fenders at full suspension flex with the sway bars disconnected. I’ll definitely look into doing a more “proper” lift. I’ll just do the spacers without getting new bump stops and see if I still rub on the trails I do. right now the best I can do is the spacers unfortunately. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Depending on the springs you have now it is possible to get a bit of extra lift by changing those as well. My JKU had 17 front and 58 back from the factory got some take off springs that were 19 front and 59 or 60 back can't remember when I installed the level kit. The higher the number the taller the spring.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I installed the teraflex leveling kit a couple of months ago and it's the best mod I've made. Upgraded my tires to 33s and it runs like stock. Very happy with the height and it doesn't look like I'm compensating for the lack of anything. LOL

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I’ll just do the spacers without getting new bump stops and see if I still rub on the trails I do. right now the best I can do is the spacers unfortunately.
Spring spacers will do absolutely nothing to fix your rubbing issue at full flex. Nothing. Bump stop spacers (or different length bumps stops) is the solution to the problem.

There is nothing wrong with a spacer lift, as long as it is a "proper" spacer lift incorporating spring spacers, shock mount 'spacers' and bump stop spacers. And don't forget to check brake lines & electrical wiring at full droop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spring spacers will do absolutely nothing to fix your rubbing issue at full flex. Nothing. Bump stop spacers (or different length bumps stops) is the solution to the problem.

There is nothing wrong with a spacer lift, as long as it is a "proper" spacer lift incorporating spring spacers, shock mount 'spacers' and bump stop spacers. And don't forget to check brake lines & electrical wiring at full droop.
Do you know what size bump stops/spacer size I would need for adding 1 inch front and back?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts