Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1.5" teraflex leveling kit and jks quick disconnects for a 14jk polar edition. I am using stock shocks for now but want to upgrade to Rancho 9000xl shocks in the fall. I also have the stock 18" rims and tires on that I plan on replacing the tires with 33" duratrec son the stock 18" rims. Right now I'm looking at buy Rubicon JKU springs and have a couple questions about adding these springs.
1. what spring # should I be looking for?
2. How much more height would it add to the jeep with the 1.5" leveling kit?
3. Would I need shock extenders until I upgrade the shocks later on?
4. Would I need longer brake lines?

I will be doing light off-roading with the jeep.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
213 Posts
1. what spring # should I be looking for?
What do you have now. they might be "rubi" look at the tags and post the number. the higher the number the longer and stiffer they are i believe, look for 19/60. The rear springs are in the 55 to 60 range,, i think
2. How much more height would it add to the jeep with the 1.5" leveling kit?
an inch?
3. Would I need shock extenders until I upgrade the shocks later on?
no but maybe longer links
4. Would I need longer brake lines?
no

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought a 1.5" teraflex leveling kit and jks quick disconnects for a 14jk polar edition. I am using stock shocks for now but want to upgrade to Rancho 9000xl shocks in the fall. I also have the stock 18" rims and tires on that I plan on replacing the tires with 33" duratrec son the stock 18" rims. Right now I'm looking at buy Rubicon JKU springs and have a couple questions about adding these springs. 1. what spring # should I be looking for? 2. How much more height would it add to the jeep with the 1.5" leveling kit? 3. Would I need shock extenders until I upgrade the shocks later on? 4. Would I need longer brake lines? I will be doing light off-roading with the jeep. Thanks for the help.
The effect that different spring rates will have on your jeep is dependent on your jeeps weight and the current spring rate you have. The highest possible I believe is 19 front and 60 rear. 18 59 is a little common from when I looked around for them. You don't specify 4 or 2 door, so if you have a 2 door then doing both higher spring rate and the spacers may give you more lift than desired. A guy with a base 2 door put on 18 59 and the leveling kit then ended up netting 3 inches which opens up a lot of needed upgrades.

On the other hand, if you have a 4 door with a hard top and tow package, you probably already have a pretty high spring rate and it might be a complete waste switching them out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2 door. The jeep does not have much weight except a smittybilt 9000xl gen2 winch in stock bumper. Should I shy away from adding the springs? No tow package but have hard top I run in winter and soft top I run in summer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2 door. The jeep does not have much weight except a smittybilt 9000xl gen2 winch in stock bumper. Should I shy away from adding the springs? No tow package but have hard top I run in winter and soft top I run in summer.
The spring rate is the last two numbers on the tag attached to the spring itself. Find those numbers out and we might be able to help. I do have to say though, the game of messing with stock spring rates and spacers is better played by someone that is doing the work themselves in their driveway. If you have a shop install this stuff then change your mind you might as well just get a lift kit now and return your leveling kit. Labor ain't cheap.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Yes, check the springs you have. That's how we can compare to something else. You get approximately 1/4" of lift per spring number increase. And the spring rate really does not change, it's just the spring length. 18/59 is pretty easy to find. So if you have 15's and you go to 18's on the front, you would get about 3/4" of lift and the 2dr's seem to get a little more.

I would suggest you consider the spring swap if you have lower # springs and just add a single TF 1" spacer in front for $32. That is likely to get you around 2" of lift.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spring rates are 14 & 55. Also garage clearance is 3". I don't know why I put 4.5". Question is with the teraflex 1.5" leveling kit what spring numbers should I look for to still fit in the garage? Or am I better off not even changing the springs to heavier Springs? Too late just adding 1" spacers. I already bought the teraflex leveling kit. 2" in front. 1" in rear.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found rubicon take off springs of 17 and 60. How high would that lift my jeep with 14 & 55 spring already on the jeep?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did much of what you are contmplating but with a JKR. Also, I have different rear spring numbers and I added a Warn Elite bumper along with and Engo 9000s winch. I went from a 14/56 to a 17/58 spring set along with the Teraflex leveling kit you are talking about plus additional 1/2" spacers on each of the front springs as well. I gained 2-1/4 inches in the front and 1-1/4 inches in the rear. So it exactly leveled the Jeep.

Going up three numbers on the front I believe would have given me about a 3/4 inch gain in height, however the weight of the bumper/winch combo (160 lbs) pulled my front end down an inch. I managed a 1/4 inch gain in the rear from the two number gain. I do have some gear and a hitch in the rear so that may be why I did not realize the 1/4 inch gain per number at the rear.

With all this, I would say that you would gain 2 inches at the front with the spacers and maybe another 3/8 inch accounting for the winch weight for a total of 2-3/8 inch. For the rear, you should gain 1 inch for the spacers plus another inch (or maybe a little less) due to the spring change for a total of two inches. I think you will still have a slight rake, but not too noticeable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a JKUR with the TF leveling kit. The rear brake lines are too tight for my comfort. I plan to install brake line relocation brackets in the rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts