Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just picked up my TF 2.5" lift and on the box it says if you're using oem wheels you must get spacers.

The way I read came across as you only need 4.5" back spacing or spacers when going to 35" tires. Mentions nothing about not running stock wheel / tire combo.

This kit includes 2.5" lift coil springs, rear swaybar links, heavy duty rear trackbar axle bracket, bumpstop extensions and all necessary hardware. This kit will allow you to run up to a 35” tire (aftermarket wheels with 4.5” backspacing or less are required). Fits all JK Wrangler models including Rubicon. Note: 2012+ JKs may require exhaust spacers (#2610000) or other exhaust modification for proper driveshaft clearance if front extended shock length is greater than 24.5”
So it seems I'd need spacers to run my stock tire setup until I upgrade my wheels and tires, correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
The issue apparently is the new rear sway bar links, when I installed my lift I just kept the stock rear links in place and bought a set of rear take off links for the front. I am running the same lift with stock wheels no issues without spacers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Put the rear sway bar links on the inside and you won't have any issues. You can run your stock wheels/tires with no problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, sounds like positive good information.

The issue apparently is the new rear sway bar links, when I installed my lift I just kept the stock rear links in place and bought a set of rear take off links for the front. I am running the same lift with stock wheels no issues without spacers.
Has this always been the case with this lift? I did quite a bit of research and this is something I did not see mentioned. Just curious because you said "new rear sway bar links" not sure if you mean new because the kit was just bought new, or new as in TF made a change to the original kit.

Put the rear sway bar links on the inside and you won't have any issues. You can run your stock wheels/tires with no problems.
Put the rear sway bar links on the inside? Does this adjust the way the vehicle drives or handles? Extra strain on components?

Thanks,

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thanks guys, sounds like positive good information.

Has this always been the case with this lift? I did quite a bit of research and this is something I did not see mentioned. Just curious because you said "new rear sway bar links" not sure if you mean new because the kit was just bought new, or new as in TF made a change to the original kit.

Put the rear sway bar links on the inside? Does this adjust the way the vehicle drives or handles? Extra strain on components?

Thanks,
I do not know if it has always been this way with this kit, but I wanted to run stock wheels without spacers for a while after installing the lift.
The kit come with new longer rear sway bar links, the instructions say to install them in the rear then install the rear links you removed on the front sway bar. Couple reasons I did not want to do this, 1. The links may hit the stock wheels on the inside, 2. The Teraflex links are not as good as the oem and do not have the pivot capability when the suspension articulates, this is probably not an issue but I prefer the oem. 3. AEV retains the rear links on their 2.5" lift so I am assuming it is not really an issue to leave them. 4. Oem take offs are cheap, I paid $20 on eBay for set on new ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not know if it has always been this way with this kit, but I wanted to run stock wheels without spacers for a while after installing the lift.
The kit come with new longer rear sway bar links, the instructions say to install them in the rear then install the rear links you removed on the front sway bar. Couple reasons I did not want to do this, 1. The links may hit the stock wheels on the inside, 2. The Teraflex links are not as good as the oem and do not have the pivot capability when the suspension articulates, this is probably not an issue but I prefer the oem. 3. AEV retains the rear links on their 2.5" lift so I am assuming it is not really an issue to leave them. 4. Oem take offs are cheap, I paid $20 on eBay for set on new ones.
I thought AEV used an extension for the links? Maybe I'm thinking about another brand. If they just reuse the old ones why don't all companies give us that option, must be a reason to use longer ones? No?

I'm a bit new when it comes to suspension. I've worked on it and swapped parts but never took the time to understand it, so forgive my ignorance. Do the links not make the sway bar sit (mostly) level when on even ground? So thus the shorter links on stock once a lift is installed would cause the rear sway bar to be sitting at an angle?

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I thought AEV used an extension for the links? Maybe I'm thinking about another brand. If they just reuse the old ones why don't all companies give us that option, must be a reason to use longer ones? No? I'm a bit new when it comes to suspension. I've worked on it and swapped parts but never took the time to understand it, so forgive my ignorance. Do the links not make the sway bar sit (mostly) level when on even ground? So thus the shorter links on stock once a lift is installed would cause the rear sway bar to be sitting at an angle?
AEV uses brackets in the front. They also don't believe longer links are needed in the rear at 2.5.
Keeping the stock links in the rear allows you to run stock wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts