Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of installing. Of all the things I thought might slow me down, bump stop extensions never entered my mind. OMG, they are a royal PITA.

I've tried greasing them down (with a LOT of grease). I cleaned out the bump stop receptacle as it was a little rusty and dirty on the inside. I placed a couple of bricks on top of the axle housing, put the bump stop extension on top of the bricks and jacked up that side of the axle so it would press the bump stop extension into place. It will NOT pop into place. I've jacked it up so much that it starts to raise off of the jack stands. No bueno.

I tried heating the extensions thinking that might soften the rubber...it did, but it still wouldn't pop into place. The only other thing I can think of is to shave off some of the material around the upper edges and sort of make it more beveled...maybe that will help it pop into place? I dunno...I'm so frustrated with it right now! Oh...and couple that with busting a bolt off in the top of one of the rear shock towers...into the nut that is welded to the frame...yeah, that happened. So I will be working on my tap/die skills this weekend it would appear.

No doubt, this is going to be worth it once I'm all done...but if there is some kind of Jeep mojo you can send my way, please do so at this time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Teraflex has lots of great videos on their product installations.
LOL, yeah I know...I watched the 2.5" coil install video a dozen times before I received shipment yesterday.

...mechanic loosening shock...
Narrator (Dennis): "Go ahead and just put the shock anywhere..."

...shock falls to the floor in loud clank... :rofl:

Teraflex's videos are the best. Informative, funny, and well shot.

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
just scrap the tf bump stops and use a couple of hocky pucks.

If you are going to try an easy out on the broken bolts be careful because when you break one it is really difficult drilling them out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just a question, do you guys feel that most competent auto shops can perform this install or do you feel more comfortable taking it to a Jeep dealer? Also what service charge would you expect to pay for a 2.5 lift?

I'm thinking about having this done over the summer and have everything saved in my ExtremeTerrain shopping card but just want to be sure of the overall cost. I'm not up to doing this myself (left those auto repair jobs behind years ago) so I'd rather pay to have it done so they can do an alignment (if needed) and rotation at the same time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bump stops were a pain for me too. I had two people helping, one on each side. Pressed both in at the same time with the axle was the trick that got mine finished. I had the most trouble removing the front shocks, top nuts were not happy about being removed, hope yours aren't as stubborn. Good luck finishing!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna pick up a cheap bottle jack at Harbor Freight tonight, put that on top of the housing and see if that will pop the bump stops in place. If not...hockey pucks it may be...but they have to be St. Louis Blues pucks.

I have most of the bolt I broke off drilled out. The battery on my cordless drill pooped out on me before I could bore it out with a larger bit. I will bore it out more, retap, yes, I'd tap that, and be on my merry way.

I understand wanting to take a job like this to a shop...I'm in my 50's now and with work, home stuff, and life in general, it's sometimes difficult to find the time/energy to do this sort of thing. Plus, if wrenching isn't something you do on a regular basis, stuff like this can be rather daunting. However, where else is one going to get the opportunity to cuss like a sailor, litter the garage floor with tools, and bang one's knuckles to the point of looking like hamburger?

In all seriousness tho, doing the work on my own vehicles helps me understand how everything operates so if I'm ever in a bind I'll know how to address things properly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump stops were a pain for me too. I had two people helping, one on each side. Pressed both in at the same time with the axle was the trick that got mine finished. I had the most trouble removing the front shocks, top nuts were not happy about being removed, hope yours aren't as stubborn. Good luck finishing!
The top nut on one of the front shocks did NOT want to come off, I wound up twisting off the top of the shock bolt with a wrench and breaker bar as the nut was totally seized...even after soaking it multiple times with PB Blaster. So, that was fun. lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try a reverse cut drill bit, I have found them to be very helpful removing broken off bolts. I found them at the welding supply store. I PB Blaster the bolt for awhile, then drill it out, you run your drill in reverse, and at a point it usually backs right out.

I'm gonna pick up a cheap bottle jack at Harbor Freight tonight, put that on top of the housing and see if that will pop the bump stops in place. If not...hockey pucks it may be...but they have to be St. Louis Blues pucks.

I have most of the bolt I broke off drilled out. The battery on my cordless drill pooped out on me before I could bore it out with a larger bit. I will bore it out more, retap, yes, I'd tap that, and be on my merry way.

I understand wanting to take a job like this to a shop...I'm in my 50's now and with work, home stuff, and life in general, it's sometimes difficult to find the time/energy to do this sort of thing. Plus, if wrenching isn't something you do on a regular basis, stuff like this can be rather daunting. However, where else is one going to get the opportunity to cuss like a sailor, litter the garage floor with tools, and bang one's knuckles to the point of looking like hamburger?

In all seriousness tho, doing the work on my own vehicles helps me understand how everything operates so if I'm ever in a bind I'll know how to address things properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts