Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealership pointed out to me that the front sway bar links are hitting the frame. Looks like the backside nut/bolt are hitting, although I don't see any similar marks or rust on those parts so I'm wondering if these marks on the frame are prior to the lift kit.

I have the TF 2.5" spring lift and the front sway bar links are actually the original rear ones moved to the front per the teraflex install instructions.

What you can't see easily in the pic is that there are scratches in the frame that go higher.

What I don't understand is how this would even happen unless this happened prior to the lift kit. I can see how much room there is before I hit the bump stop and the scratches seem like they are much higher up than the bump stop would allow.

1) Does anybody have this contact on a stock jeep?
2) Is anybody having this issue with a TF 2.5" kit?
3) What is the fix, shorter front links?

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The same marks are on both sides. What else could make those marks? We don't wheel, but we did do the jeepfest basic course before the lift kit went on and one other time we did go on a trail ride after the lift kit went on but that was really nothing. At one point I also lifted the right side to see how far the left side would drop to see if the front drive shaft would touch the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
The same marks are on both sides. What else could make those marks? We don't wheel, but we did do the jeepfest basic course before the lift kit went on and one other time we did go on a trail ride after the lift kit went on but that was really nothing. At one point I also lifted the right side to see how far the left side would drop to see if the front drive shaft would touch the exhaust.
If even possible, The axle would have had to be stuffed completely.

Disconnect the sway bar links at the lower mounts and swing the bar up... it shouldn't hit :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I have the same lift and have not had an troubles even when I get a bit flexed.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have that happening. Teraflex disconnects and a 1" spacer.

The swaybar itself also rubs the cross tube part of the frame.

Figured it would wear it away enough to stop being a problem soon.......

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Unless he was really twisting it it should not have hit like this. I don't have discos, yet and have not had a problem. Not to say that I wont hence the term "Yet"

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hits going over speed bump on mine. Just rubs like in the picture.

If i knock the sway bar further over it then the bar itself rubs the frame on the other side.

All on a perfectly straight 2014 that has done all of its miles with me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do NOT have discos. The upper sway bar link bolt can't be changed, it's all stock.

I'm sure during that jeepfest event when the jeep was stock that at one time or another, one side or the other would have been fully compressed up into the bump stop.

Ivantate, sounds like you are saying that on your stock jeep you have similar marks? Could you post a pic?

I guess I will cleanup that area, paint and then keep on eye on it to see if fresh marks come back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same thing happen after my install... passenger front? I believe the "bolt" in the sway bar link is to long, once any articulation (with sway bar still connected) will hit as the sway bar articulates up. I was thinking about cutting the bolt shorter (about 8-10 threads showing after nut was torqued), but I ended up buying disconnects.... fixed the issue. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I had the same thing happen after my install... passenger front? I believe the "bolt" in the sway bar link is to long, once any articulation (with sway bar still connected) will hit as the sway bar articulates up. I was thinking about cutting the bolt shorter (about 8-10 threads showing after nut was torqued), but I ended up buying disconnects.... fixed the issue. Hope this helps.
When you move the rear links to the front as many lifts kits recommend, the upper bolts on the links in the front are adjusted so that less of the bolts ends up on the inboard side where the nut goes. If you don't account for this difference the upper bolt on the link originally in the back can rub when moved to the front.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Swaybar is disconnected atthe moment but you can just see the bit of rust on the spring tower where the link bolt has been rubbing.

ForumRunner_20150319_221940.jpg

See rust on thetube sticking out the frame where the swaybar has hit it.

ForumRunner_20150319_222140.jpg

Hopefully sunday is derusting, dremelling and painting day under the Jeep and it will all be good again.

Tires will still rub the disconnects despite having 1.25" spacers and stock Sahara size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts