Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the TeraFlex 2.5 lift kit with shocks. The front rides better but the rear is much more rough and harder when going over typical road divots. Any insight?

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
And which version of TF lift, including which shocks? The budget shocks or nice shocks?
Did you torque down all the control arm and track bar bolts with the weight of the Jeep on the suspension?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires are 32 and the kit had the TeraFlex shocks. I did tighten most things down with the weight of the jeep. Would that make a big difference?

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
If you touched the control arm's they have to be tighten down on the ground in most case.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I only had to touch the driver side for the TB relo bracket.
Go back and loosen up all 16 control arm bolts, stand on your bumpers and bounce it up and down then retorque everything. Good chance your bushings are bound up which will cause a rough ride.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Yep, I should of thought that. @Mike14 🍺

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Yep, on the ground. Rears can be hard to access with the tire on so I us USA set jack stands to the height needed to support the axle as if it was still sitting on the tires.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
I also like doing it as bbortko mentioned. With the tires off but the axle at ride height you can easily access the control arm and track bar bolts. Even a pivot bolt you did not need to loosen you want to loosen and re-torque with the weight of the Jeep sitting on the suspension. This is because the stock control arms, and a number of aftermarket control arms and track, use a rubber-ish bushing. That bushing flexes instead of rotates as the arm move up and down. The bushing should not be flexed, it should not be under tension, when the Jeep is at rest at normal ride height. The way you achieve that is to have all the pivot point bolts for all the bushings loose, let it sit under its own weight, and then tighten the pivot point bolts up while at ride height. That sets the bushings properly, so they can then flex one way or the other to allow for suspension movement.
When you lift, you are changing the ride height. If you don't reset the bushings like this after a lift the suspension will not work properly.
Note, none of this matters if you are running aftermarket control arms or track bars that use a non-bushing joint at both ends, a joint that allows for free rotation instead of the stock style bushing that flexes to allow for suspension movement.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where are you placing the jack stands to support the axles with the wheels off? My rear has seemed real stiff ever since I had my 2.5” TF lift installed and I’m wondering if it is the same issue. And you are right. It looks impossible to torque it correctly with the wheels on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lifted with Jack and placed the stands on the axle near the tires. Lifted just high enough to take the tires off and did all the loosening and bouncing on bumper and re tightening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any other points to hit? Want to make sure I'm not bound somewhere else...

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts