Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a free spin hub conversion on my Cummins/Dodge Ram and have been looking to do the same for my JK. In addition, I do a lot of travel into the Sierras hunting and fishing and feel that a big brake kit would be helpful when crossing and descending the passes.

I came across Teraflex's hub conversion that also includes a their Big Brake Kit (actually, only Big Rotor kit) - two birds with one stone. Would also need to convert the rear to 8 bolt full float axle.

For those that have installed this kit, do you have any observations on how it's worked for you?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Im just sitting here thinking...why?? Just do the big brake kit and be done with it. What size tires are you running? What do you hope to gain from this kit? Seems like this kit would make the weak link on your front axle the ring and pinion, which is a huge mistake. A one ton axle conversion would make way more sense to me if you are out there busting axle shafts and u joints. Not only that, but this isnt even the teraflex big brake kit. it is only the big rotor kit which uses the stock calipers.

I can think of 100 better ideas to spend 4000 dollars (or significantly less) and have the outcome be bigger brakes and stronger axles.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im just sitting here thinking...why?? Just do the big brake kit and be done with it. What size tires are you running? What do you hope to gain from this kit? Seems like this kit would make the weak link on your front axle the ring and pinion, which is a huge mistake. A one ton axle conversion would make way more sense to me if you are out there busting axle shafts and u joints. Not only that, but this isnt even the teraflex big brake kit. it is only the big rotor kit which uses the stock calipers.

I can think of 100 better ideas to spend 4000 dollars (or significantly less) and have the outcome be bigger brakes and stronger axles.
Thanks for your thoughts. I flat tow the jeep often...free spin hubs help reduce wear and tear. Has nothing to do with ring and pinion. Larger rotors are a step up in braking performance.

I'm not interested in advice on how to spend money.

I'm looking for feedback from folks that have installed this kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Since you're in the JK forum, here is something to think about...

If you read your owners manual, it says not to tow your JK Wrangler with anything other than 4 wheels on a trailer or all 4 on the ground. You will defeat the transfer case lubricating effect of towing 4 down with lockout hubs.

I converted my TJ to Warn's locking hub kit, but I'm not really sold on it. Repacking the bearings isn't my favorite job especially since you have to special order the seals. If you don't have a dedicated shop to buy the grease seals, you may have a real hard time finding what you need. NAPA could never find what I need

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you're in the JK forum, here is something to think about...

If you read your owners manual, it says not to tow your JK Wrangler with anything other than 4 wheels on a trailer or all 4 on the ground. You will defeat the transfer case lubricating effect of towing 4 down with lockout hubs.

I converted my TJ to Warn's locking hub kit, but I'm not really sold on it. Repacking the bearings isn't my favorite job especially since you have to special order the seals. If you don't have a dedicated shop to buy the grease seals, you may have a real hard time finding what you need. NAPA could never find what I need
Thanks, Brian.

I need to think further about the transfer case lubricating issue that you mentioned. There are many vehicles with free spin hubs...never heard of transfer case lubrication issues, but I'll do further research.

On my Dodge the front end feels much lighter when free spinning versus locked...the TruTrac in the Dodge does impact steering. There is clearly reduced friction/wear/tear positive impacts with a free spin hub.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. I flat tow the jeep often...free spin hubs help reduce wear and tear. Has nothing to do with ring and pinion. Larger rotors are a step up in braking performance.

Thanks

Flat towing is not a reason to be buying this kit. Your mind seems to be set on this so I wont try and convince you otherwise. I am not telling you how to spend money, only that this is a waste of money.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks, Brian.

I need to think further about the transfer case lubricating issue that you mentioned. There are many vehicles with free spin hubs...never heard of transfer case lubrication issues, but I'll do further research.

On my Dodge the front end feels much lighter when free spinning versus locked...the TruTrac in the Dodge does impact steering. There is clearly reduced friction/wear/tear positive impacts with a free spin hub.
You've caught my attention.
Lack of hubs was a major letdown when I ordered the jk.
I too notice the better feel when running them unlocked on my F350 and Bronco, any reduction in wear is a bonus.

Didn't need another project just now but thanks anyway, now I've got one.

Reactions: dbertheau

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks, Brian.

I too notice the better feel when running them unlocked on my F350 and Bronco, any reduction in wear is a bonus.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I've just ordered these parts. I'll let you know how it goes.

Why would one install this?

Reactions: lumpy1977

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
This would be a good way to strengthen you stock axles. And if you have a vehicle like mine I am already pushing the limits of the stock axles even though I am trussed and sleeved. It is the semi-floating par the the equation that is lacking. And if I was not planning on a LS conversion I think this would be a good way to go.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You could run a lot of caster without vibration from the driveshaft. It would be interesting to see the effect on gas mileage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just installed the Rancho 2" lift and TeraFlex's 8-bolt free spin hub and 8-bolt full float axle in rear...new Cooper 285/70R-17 tires.

Photo not to good...just finished install and photo from phone in garage...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,299 Posts

Thanks
You arent going to find many people who use that, I am not aware of anyone on this forum who have, mainly because it is snake oil. The benefits do not outweigh the cost.

We arent telling you how to spend your money. We are telling you specifically why we did not purchase this and why really nobody purchases this. @Cummins_Powered made really good points. It's a leftover from the early JK years where 1 ton swaps werent all over the place.

The amount of flat towing that would be required to do enough wear and tear to make a $4000 upgrade worth it.... it would be a lot. If you are that worried, my 18 foot car hauler only cost me $3300, and that is an investment.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The amount of flat towing that would be required to do enough wear and tear to make a $4000 upgrade worth it.... it would be a lot. If you are that worried, my 18 foot car hauler only cost me $3300, and that is an investment.[/QUOTE]

Where do you come up with $4000. It sells online for around $1300 and that includes the big break rotors and pads so its really more like 800 for 2 front locking hubs. If you have other vehicles and sets of tires mounted on 6.5 by 8 rims, would this change your thoughts? I probably have $10000 in beadlocks in 6.5 by 8 pattern that I already own, would not it make some sense to try to use them on the JK?

ive not ordered the TF kit but have almost ordered it a few times.

I have 5 sets of tires for my ultra 4 rig, 3 of them are 37s so could potentially use them on the JK , i tend to go thru unit bearings on the JK pretty fast, and even though they are fairly cheap and easy to change out, it seems this kit would help by eliminating that. Weak link should still be the axle u joints which is exaclty where mine breaks when i get on it. And I carry tools and spare ujoints already as those are my weakest link that gets tested. Never have had r&p failure even on a built d30 with 5.13s, always takes out my front driver side u joint first R&P has lasted since 2011 on big tires and gets wheeled often....i just have stock 3.8 motor in the JK with atlas T case. So in Low gears im still putting alot of stress with the atlas on the r&P. Im pefectly willing to put a d60 in but have not seen the need and the d30 doesnt hang so low like a d60,, if engine upgrades were at play would be a different story.

i dont see the value in the rear TF kit as its only held in with plug welds , would just use 5x5 to 6.5x8 adapters in the rear, but the front seems to me to not be such a bad kit for those who eat unit bearings or have other wheelsets 6.5 by 8 is pretty standard size for wheeling , the JK is sub par out of the box with 5 by 5 and not the norm. many more rim choices avail in 8 lug and many more used options as its been the standard forever.

I also dont normally even consider TF to be a brand I would put on my JK but am also curious like the OP on this thread as to anyones real experiences with this kit. So posting in an old thread hoping some how uses the product will comment.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
@GetRDun, look for more threads started by the OP, i am fairly sure he ended up doing the kit and had some things to say about it. ($4000 is about the cost for the front AND rear conversion).

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I wish I had the hubs. Did them on my 03 Ram and it made a difference. As far a s the TC goes, the rear DS is still spinning and the new JL has a CAD that keeps the front DS from spinning. If ya got the bucks, get the hubs.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thanks cummins , i read a few of his posts.
Im gonna order this kit today. I wonder if my ten factory shafts will work without having to get the new inner shafts ( i run a built d30 on the JK), I called Teraflex, they said they seen it done with RCVs dint seem 100 percent sure on the ten factory but thought it should work. I think i have my old shafts somewhere in my pole barn will measure them , pull my current shafts and see if they are a little bit longer. but either way Im sold on the concept of locking hubs for sure. Will be fun to change u joints in my shop as opposed to on the trail this time. LOL. Looks like a pretty straight forward install.

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
I wish I had the hubs. Did them on my 03 Ram and it made a difference. As far a s the TC goes, the rear DS is still spinning and the new JL has a CAD that keeps the front DS from spinning. If ya got the bucks, get the hubs.
Actually if the M differential prove out it may be as simple as swap one of them in and wiring a switch in the future. And if you are starting with a d30 this might make sense.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dont see the value in the rear TF kit as its only held in with plug welds , would just use 5x5 to 6.5x8 adapters in the rear
The spindle is pretty secure in the axle housing. The spindle is pounded into the housing (very tight fit), the spindle retainer flange also holds the spindle in, and lastly the plug welds...the spindle is not going to rotate, come out or get tweaked. I personally like the full float axle and from installing the kit, I'm confident time was spent engineering a solid product.

There was a thread in the last week or so where someone described how hot their front diff got after a short trip (couldn't touch it). There is most definitely wear and tear on the diff, the u-joints, ball joints, unit bearings, etc. The free spin hubs take all that out of the equation. Less maintenance required.

I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: jadmt
1 - 20 of 64 Posts