Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was able to install Teraflex Alpine front lower controls arms and Teraflex HD Tie Rod kit tonight. I am running the Teraflex 2.5" lift with 35s on 15" wheels. Caster angle was 3.0* so I decided the arms were needed. Threads on the OE tie rod were thrashed and with 35s, a HD tie rod was warrented.

Started out doing the control arms and install was a breeze. Removed and installed one arm at a time and measured them out to Teraflex's spec. Realigning the bolts was pretty easy; just rolled the front tire ever so slightly and the bolts went right in. Took a quick test driving and everything felt great. Steering was definitely less "sketchy" (best way to describe it). The product itself is really nice. The finish on the control arms is really nice and the fitment into the mounts is perfect. The threads on the adjustment arms came with what appears to be anti-seize already applied (nice touch). Jeep is at the alignment shop again tonight so I will report back with new caster angle.

Now onto the HD tie rod. First of all, this thing is huge compared to the factory tie rod. The term "heavy duty" definitely applies. Install was a breeze for the tie rod as well. Old one popped out pretty easy and the new one bolted right into place. The new steering stabilizer bracket was a little obnoxious to install but does the job just fine. The problem came with the reinstallation of my tires. The new HD tie rod ends were about 1/16th of an inch away from the inside of the wheel when the ball joints were angled down towards the rear of the Jeep. While pulling out of the garage to test drive, I felt the tie rod catch the inside of the wheel and start rubbing. After driving very slowly around the parking lot, I realized that the tie rod ends were definitely rubbing and creating a small ring around the inside of the wheel. Hopefully I can do a little grinding of the rod ends so they fit. I will report back on this as well after the alignment.

Final thoughts: both products are fantastic and install was a breeze for both. The only caveat is that if you are running 15" wheels, the HD Tie Rod will give you some issues.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Updates:

Teraflex Alpine control arms are awesome! I can definitely feel a difference when hitting bumps. I don't feel like I'm about to veer off the road anymore. I also love the no maintenance design and ease of adjustments. Great product for a great price!

Teraflex HD Tie Rod - this is a really great product, but unfortunately I could not make it work with my 15" wheels. I ground down the metal on the ends very slightly but it wasn't enough to not catch the wheel when driving in reverse. I picked up a Mopar factory replacement for the meantime. The Teraflex tie rod will be listed for sale for anyone that wants a great deal on a practically brand new tie rod.

Another item to note is that before either of these upgrades I had a vibration in the steering wheel. I can't confirm whether the CAs or the new tie rod fixed this issue, but the vibration is completely gone.

Hopefully this helps anyone considering either product.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. I will check out the Yeti products. I will either try out another tie rod or just wait until my current tires are worn and upgrade to 16" or 17" wheels. It's never ending..... :thumb:

·
Vendor
739 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I will check out the Yeti products. I will either try out another tie rod or just wait until my current tires are worn and upgrade to 16" or 17" wheels. It's never ending..... :thumb:
Every wheel is different. We designed the YETI to fit in many areas that other aftermarket linkages wont fit. I have installed YETI linkages on some of the 15 inch wheels that have reduced backspace. Our YETI socket outside diameters are about 5mm larger than production. If you measure about 8 millimeters gap on product sockets than ours might fit because our linkage will not flop around like everyone's. Worse case, wheels spacers will give you the required clearance.

Check out of new Facebook page.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about the YETI. I think it may work because the rod does not flop like others. I had the same issue with 15's and the Synergy tie rod. If i could of kept the bar straight, the joints would not rub.

@kjeeper10 - is the YETI tie rod in this picture installed inside 15" wheels? If so, what wheels are they and what backspacing?

·
Vendor
739 Posts
@kjeeper10 - is the YETI tie rod in this picture installed inside 15" wheels? If so, what wheels are they and what backspacing?
Rickss, what kind of clearance do you currently have with the stock linkage fitting with your 15 inch wheels?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you since figured out what tie rod will fit with your15inch wheels? I'm in the same boat and ready to upgrade soon. Thanks
I have not yet, actually. I talked to the guys at SteerSmarts and they are not sure if the Yeti tie rod will fit correctly. Granted, we can't tell for sure without actually bolting it up. Let me know if you find anything in your research as well. For now, the factory tie rod will have to do the job.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have not yet, actually. I talked to the guys at SteerSmarts and they are not sure if the Yeti tie rod will fit correctly. Granted, we can't tell for sure without actually bolting it up. Let me know if you find anything in your research as well. For now, the factory tie rod will have to do the job.
Thanks. The guys at steersmarts have said in a previous post that if you have 8mm clearance you should be good since it doesn't rock. I stuck the end of a flat head screw driver in with ease and it measured 8mm exactly. I think I may take the chance on a yeti eventually. I'm in Canada though so it would be a costly error if it doesn't fit haha.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks. The guys at steersmarts have said in a previous post that if you have 8mm clearance you should be good since it doesn't rock. I stuck the end of a flat head screw driver in with ease and it measured 8mm exactly. I think I may take the chance on a yeti eventually. I'm in Canada though so it would be a costly error if it doesn't fit haha.
I know this post was made 2 years ago but I’m in need of a new tire rod to fit with my 15” wheels and I would love to know how this worked for you if you did go through with it!

I’m in Canada too and it’s not exactly cheap and easy to try out parts like this 😬

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have not tried I went with a moog replacement. I did however go with a yeti track bar and will be adding the top mount drag link eventually. My wheels have enough back space where the drag link wont be in the way.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know this post was made 2 years ago but I’m in need of a new tire rod to fit with my 15” wheels and I would love to know how this worked for you if you did go through with it!

I’m in Canada too and it’s not exactly cheap and easy to try out parts like this 😬
Sorry about the delayed response. I didn't see the post notification.

I did end up running the Yeti tie rod and drag link with my 15" Level 8 Tracker wheels on 3.75" backspacing. The fitment was very tight but it did fit. I had to run it without the shiny caps though. I have a photo somewhere. I will post when I find it. I don't want to guarantee that it will work for you because I've read that not all 15" wheels are created equally but it did work for me.

I have since upgraded to 17" wheels and 37s.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hmmm very tempting..I'm running the yeti track bar and went with a moog replacement tie rod and drag link. I may do go full yeti. I know the drag link will fit with my back spacing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts