Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

NEW PARTS :dance:

Trying to figure if I want to leave the logo bare aluminum, color match, or paint a different color.

Im planing on doing a full video write up of the install and then "testing" them at Adventure Park in Tennessee first of next month.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the sliders are painted already. I used Rustoleum truck bed liner. awesome stuff.

The question is should i leave the logo bare or paint it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think having SOMETHING there is nice because of the other decals you have. Lends a bit of balance. I don't care to advertise for a company. They got my money. I got their product. It's mine, now. You might put something witty there or your name or something.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I like the logo there. I have logo's all over my Jeep. I think it gives it more of a pro look.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i did the sliders black. tried to leave the aluminum clear and had a problem with paint pealing so had to rescuff and prime and paint over it. the logo is lazer cut into the aluminum. so it will be a subdued outline. I may put my JoT logo over it at some point

·
Registered
801 Posts
I like mine. A couple suggestions I have that differs from the installation video is...

Rather than marking the hole with paint/pen and then using a punch go ahead and use the punch while the rails are up there for the fitting. Once you pull them off you introduce a little more variability in trying to use the punch exactly where you made the marks. With them on the punch is kinda self centered.

For making the holes in the gasket I used a paper hole punch. It made nice clean holes in the rubber gasket and was quicker than trying to drill through the rubber.

If you can't locate a 17/32 step bit then use a normal step bit and finish the hole with a properly sized twist bit. Just don't start the hole with a twist bit as it will pull/pucker the sheet metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
They look awesome. The logo doesn't bother me on your Jeep which has various decals already.

How strong are these things actually? Aluminium doesn't make it sound as tough like, say, the Ace sliders? Certainly they will add less weight!

·
Registered
801 Posts
They look awesome. The logo doesn't bother me on your Jeep which has various decals already.

How strong are these things actually? Aluminium doesn't make it sound as tough like, say, the Ace sliders? Certainly they will add less weight!
I'm certain they would scar easier than steel rockers but they appear to be plenty strong for the task. They are 1/4" thick in the impact areas and radiused for strength. I've only been offload with them once since install and didn't have any obstacles tall enough to wack them on. When I go back to URE I'll have opportunity to beat on them.

I also have the Teraflex spare tire carrier which is aluminum and extremely well made. They appear to have a handle on using aluminum and Despite their goofy videos, I think Teraflex has very well designed products.

If I recall correctly, the weight of the rails was a little over 14lbs apiece which comes out to be over 70lbs less than a set of the beloved ACE rockers. The boat side design works pretty well to keep the mud and rocks off the side of the Jeep and they make a good flat step with the addition of non skid material.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I really like these. They actually look like they completely belong there. And 14lbs a piece is half the weight of even the semi effective stock Rubi rails. I'm interested.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Before coming to work at Teraflex I felt the same way you did about aluminum, and body mounted sliders.

Two weeks ago I had a chance to test these out, albeit not on purpose. I got into a rather large boulder, on a point load, with my passenger side rock slider. The powder coat did scrape and the slider got a little dent in it, but then again I was using the boulder and my slider as a pivot point to get my Jeep on the line I wanted. No serious damage was done to the slider, zero damage was done to my body, and best yet I don't have to worry about painting them in fear of them rusting since they are aluminum and not steel. So I can leave the slider dinged up and I have a cool story to tell around the camp fire and proof.

As you can see in the picture there is a little scrape on the slider, and parts of the rock still on top of slider.

The boulder behind the guy with the hat is what I was pivoting around.

It's the rock that at 2:40 the TJ puts his tire up on.
Rattlesnake Trail, Utah Jeep Rubicon Offroad - YouTube

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have not seen these in person, but they look awesome, provide a step ( A requirement for my wife/kids) and they seem to provide the most clearance out of most of the sliders out there. They are on my list, unless I can find something that provides the same functionality for me. On top of that, Teraflex has a great how-to video on how to install them (with the crack team of professionals)

·
Registered
412 Posts
The graphics on the up close shot make it look like the body rusted out above the slider...crazy.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So far these have been great. No complaints. I've drug them across a few rocks and trees. Paint scuffs is all I had to contend with

·
Registered
366 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts