Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got my RSE sliders installed and noticed that the Jeep does handle differently with the extra weight. I still have my steel PSE Crusher flares to go on yet, so the weight is only going to go up.

The wife ran the Jeep in an errand last night and as soon as she got home, she said, "The next things you need to buy for the Jeep are better brakes. And you need to do it soon."

I've read the threads on the different kits and setups available and I've pretty much settled on Teraflex. I do have a few questions, though.

First and foremost...

Should I just do the front BBK? Is that truly enough to make a big difference or should I go ahead and do the rear big rotor kit while I'm at it?

Is the new master cylinder from TF worth the money over the stock MC in my '17?

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
You don't need the master cylinder. Just doing the front will increase nose dive. For ease of installation really take a look at the Dynatrac Pro Grip system. I really can't say enough good things about this setup. My Jeep is heavy, 5800 lbs and it is a soft top and I pull a trailer and I have no issues with stopping. Very little brake drive.

Now I still may add a dual piston setup sometime in the future but only to help with heat.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@TerryC6, what is the advantage of the Dynatrac over, say, the big rotor kit from TF? It looks essentially the same but for $400 more.

I'm all about not having to bleed the brakes, though, lol.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
@TerryC6, what is the advantage of the Dynatrac over, say, the big rotor kit from TF? It looks essentially the same but for $400 more.

I'm all about not having to bleed the brakes, though, lol.

It is really not $400 more when you realize the TF big rotor kit does not come with brake pads. The big difference is the massive rear rotor, 14.25 inches. It goes against everything I ever knew about brakes but this thing stops pretty flat. There can be a wheel fitment issue though so you need to check that out. https://www.dynatrac.com/progrip-brake-system-for-jeep-wrangler-jk.html

I was also going the Teraflex route until I talked to the guys at Northwest 4x4 and at least the guy I talked to felt as far as rotor kits go the Pro-Grip was the way to go. I have no complaints.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Best I can tell...

TF Big rotor kit is essentially the same as the Dynatrac Progrip. Both have larger rotors & move the calipers/pads "outward."

The Progrip comes with pads, the TF doesn't. The TF can be bought either front or rear, or both, but without brake pads. The Progrip is all 4 corners with pads.

I'd say cost wise they end up about the same.

I'm not talking about the TF Big Brake Kit, but the Big Rotor kit.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best I can tell...

TF Big rotor kit is essentially the same as the Dynatrac Progrip. Both have larger rotors & move the calipers/pads "outward."

The Progrip comes with pads, the TF doesn't. The TF can be bought either front or rear, or both, but without brake pads. The Progrip is all 4 corners with pads.

I'd say cost wise they end up about the same.

I'm not talking about the TF Big Brake Kit, but the Big Rotor kit.
Right. I'm going to look into the Dynatrac a bit more, especially to see if the rears will work with my ProComp wheels.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Right. I'm going to look into the Dynatrac a bit more, especially to see if the rears will work with my ProComp wheels.

I'm hoping/expecting the TF Big Roto Kit will fit under my 17x9 ProComp Helldorado's

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
I'm hoping/expecting the TF Big Roto Kit will fit under my 17x9 ProComp Helldorado's
I don't think there is any fitment issue with the Teraflex kit on 17 inch wheels. It is only the Pro-Grip with it's 14.25 inch rotor that has issues.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
When asking such questions, the only useful responses come from people who have installed and used each of the systems you're interested in. Otherwise all you will find out is what someone else used with no knowledge of anything else and such responses are worth exactly what you're paying for them.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When asking such questions, the only useful responses come from people who have installed and used each of the systems you're interested in. Otherwise all you will find out is what someone else used with no knowledge of anything else and such responses are worth exactly what you're paying for them.
Agreed, which is why I'm taking Terry's opinion seriously. First-hand info is what I want and need.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
Agreed, which is why I'm taking Terry's opinion seriously. First-hand info is what I want and need.

I see no mention of anyone actually installing and using both systems. The fact of the matter is if all you're changing is rotors of a larger diameter and adding new pads, your only gain will be a small but noticeable leverage advantage no matter what brand you choose to use. The only way to gain a real advantage is to increase the volume of the complete system i.e. booster, master, calipers, rotors, etc.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you ever checked out Black Magic Brakes big brake kits
My issue with the Black Magic system is that it is only the front and it's $1100. I can do the front TF BBK and the rear TF big rotor for that price.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Only experience with the TF Big Rotor Kit here. I put it on at 43,000ish miles. Reused the front pads as they were in great shape and replaced the rear pads. Noticeable improvement in braking. Don't know about the other kits, but also don't know what more I would want either. The TF Big Rotor Kit works great. JK with 35s

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm running the Mopar BBK and the Teraflex rear big rotor kit on my JKU and it will stop on a dime and give change. A very noticeable difference in stock and this setup.
My JKU is a fatty too. I'm running RSE bumpers and step/sliders along with winch and a dual battery setup.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
I see no mention of anyone actually installing and using both systems. The fact of the matter is if all you're changing is rotors of a larger diameter and adding new pads, your only gain will be a small but noticeable leverage advantage no matter what brand you choose to use. The only way to gain a real advantage is to increase the volume of the complete system i.e. booster, master, calipers, rotors, etc.
You are correct I doubt we have people hear who have run both systems. But I will guarantee that the guys at Northwest 4x4 have and of the 2 system they recommended the Pro-Grip.

With 12+ year models you don't need a bigger master cylinder or booster, plenty big enough for anything on the market.

Also we have plenty of independent test out there so you can get a feel of what works. Teraflex kit, 15% improvement, Pro-grip up to 30%, independent testing, 20%. Baer Brakes at 3 times the cost, 20%.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
You are correct I doubt we have people hear who have run both systems. But I will guarantee that the guys at Northwest 4x4 have and of the 2 system they recommended the Pro-Grip.

With 12+ year models you don't need a bigger master cylinder or booster, plenty big enough for anything on the market.

Also we have plenty of independent test out there so you can get a feel of what works. Teraflex kit, 15% improvement, Pro-grip up to 30%, independent testing, 20%. Baer Brakes at 3 times the cost, 20%.
Terry you've missed the point. First of all, when you want facts you first rule out anything associated with anyone who sells the products you're trying to compare.

As to the need for bigger master and booster, if you're not changing calipers or anything else within the sealed system you do not need to increase their capacity as there would be nothing to gain but when changing to larger calipers it is a necessity and increasing the capacity of the system is the only way to see anything more than a slight leverage increase.

Lastly, what you're calling independent testing is nothing more than people using a given product and in many cases merely convincing themselves they've made the right choices after following manufacturers hype. It's strictly business. As to your percentages posted they are simply BS unless you can show a formal controlled study using a brake dyno. 93% of all statistics are made up on the spot to try to substantiate a personal view.:rolleyes:

As I said before, with either of the kits above you will gain a slight leverage increase only and yes it is noticeable but without increasing the rest of the system you can never achieve the massive increases most claim.

I'm running multi-piston calipers both front and rear with larger rotors, pads and master and booster. I know what substantially increased braking ability actually feels like. With only bigger rotors and different pads you only get a taste.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
Terry you've missed the point. First of all, when you want facts you first rule out anything associated with anyone who sells the products you're trying to compare.
I have raced for years, not missing any point. Northwest 4x4 has no interest in selling one product over the other and they sell both. Profit margin is the same regardless of product. They use the products they sell and are one of the few places who have experience in multiple products.

As to the need for bigger master and booster, if you're not changing calipers or anything else within the sealed system you do not need to increase their capacity as there would be nothing to gain but when changing to larger calipers it is a necessity and increasing the capacity of the system is the only way to see anything more than a slight leverage increase.
First a bigger booster means nothing except how easy it is to push the brake pedal. It does nothing to improve brake distance. If your Hercules you don't need a boost at all. Second a bigger master cylinder is not a given either even if you are changing calipers. The very act of installing larger calipers increases system capacity. The only issue at that point is will the reservoir hold enough fluid as to not run dry and is the bore moving enough fluid to work the brakes. Baer with there 6 and 4 caliper setup does not need a master cylinder change.

Lastly, what you're calling independent testing is nothing more than people using a given product and in many cases merely convincing themselves they've made the right choices after following manufacturers hype. It's strictly business. As to your percentages posted they are simply BS unless you can show a formal controlled study using a brake dyno. 93% of all statistics are made up on the spot to try to substantiate a personal view.:rolleyes:
When I see a before and after brake test on the same vehicle that is all I need to make a judgement. While the numbers can be fudge in most cases I believe them to be honest. I would much rather see real world results than dyno numbers. And in the case of Dynatrac system I would say they are right on the money.

As I said before, with either of the kits above you will gain a slight leverage increase only and yes it is noticeable but without increasing the rest of the system you can never achieve the massive increases most claim.

I'm running multi-piston calipers both front and rear with larger rotors, pads and master and booster. I know what substantially increased braking ability actually feels like. With only bigger rotors and different pads you only get a taste.
In the end we will agree to disagree. It is nice that you spent thousands of dollars on your brake system and you do have no doubt a better brake system than mine. But in the end I got the improvement I was looking for without spending those thousands. You may not want to believe but that is on you, not me. To bad we don't live to each other, we could do a brake test.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
Just a couple quick facts and I'm done here. The reservoir has nothing to do with directly increasing system capacity. It doesn't matter if it holds 4 ozs. or 4 gallon. Capacity is regulated by the master bore and piston travel. Larger calipers with more pistons increase travel requiring a larger master for balance. In such cases a larger booster is required to retain the same pedal pressure.

BTW I have about $1,000 in my complete system and not thousands as you again falsely assume and yes it works very well. I like to save a buck when I can also. That's why I make changes based in fact rather than assumption. Having access to a dyno is just one of the benefits of my past career. Bye.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the difference between Teraflex and Dynatrac rotors is about an inch, giving Dynatrac the edge on leverage. I have the Teraflex rotors and they are a very noticeable improvment over stock, money well spent (less than $800) in my book. ......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts