Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have the Teraflex mount, i installed my CB and calibrated it however my SWR range is way in the red. I have the plastic washer utilized in the coax and the mount. anyone have any ideas on how to better ground this? :confused: :banghead:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
What stud are you using? I do not have that mount, but you should probably grind off any paint around all mounting holes...or check your ground wire. Are you using one?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You're gonna have a to take a pic if ya can! What stud model do you have? The more metal-to-metal contact the better. A pic would def help.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Try grinding the paint of where metal and metal touch. My mount consists of much more steel and works well. I cannot speak for that mount in that regard. Grind grind! Let me know how it turns out. And def stick a spring on there.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lolpetewtf said:
Try grinding the paint of where metal and metal touch. My mount consists of much more steel and works well. I cannot speak for that mount in that regard. Grind grind! Let me know how it turns out. And def stick a spring on there.
The paint from the body or the mount. Also should the mount be on the inside of the tire carrier? Finally wouldn't the nylon washer it says to use inhibit metal to metal contact?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I believe people do put them behind the carrier, but someone needs to clarify. Grind paint off the mount - these damn things should come like that in the first place. You may need the K4 stud dude.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lolpetewtf said:
I believe people do put them behind the carrier, but someone needs to clarify. Grind paint off the mount - these damn things should come like that in the first place. You may need the K4 stud dude.
Ugh. I wonder if I can just use a solderless ring connector and some wire for the time being.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I attached my antenna's ground wire to one of the unpainted teraflex-supplied mounting bolts for the antenna mount -- seemed to ground fine.

Oh, and I mounted mine on the OUTSIDE of the tire carrier -- that's what the installation instructions called for.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pdf/JKinstall.pdf

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gort said:
I attached my antenna's ground wire to one of the unpainted teraflex-supplied mounting bolts for the antenna mount -- seemed to ground fine.

Oh, and I mounted mine on the OUTSIDE of the tire carrier -- that's what the installation instructions called for.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pdf/JKinstall.pdf
Picture? And any idea where I can get a grounding wire? My antenna fid nt have one. God this cb crap is a pain

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Any wire can be used for a ground but the thicker the better. I'd order the K4 stud or go to a truck stop and get one. No sense experimenting and wasting more time.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any wire can be used for a ground but the thicker the better. I'd order the K4 stud or go to a truck stop and get one. No sense experimenting and wasting more time.
Truck stop didn't have them and don't have time to wait for the k4 i need it by this weekend. So I guess experimenting it is.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the rugged ridge mount that is identical to the teraflex one. Before installing my setup, I was worried about grounding from other threads. After I installed it all and used my swr meter I have 1.1-1.3 swr. I didn't have to run a ground strap or grind any metal from the mount. It may be on the nylon washer and how it's screwed on. I'll go snap a pic of mine

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have the RR version of that mount. Just run a ground strap. Here is one from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Braided-Ground-Strap-Caps/dp/B001JT7DHE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_5

Sand off the paint on the mount where you screw on the ground strap. Then I snaked mine under the rear tailgate hinge cover and into the back of the Jeep. Then into and under the hidden compartment, out of the bottom through the drain hole and mounted it to one of the bolts on the trailer hitch. My SWR is 1:1.1. Let me know if u have any questions. Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the RR version of that mount. Just run a ground strap. Here is one from Amazon
Amazon.com: Heavy-Duty Braided Ground Strap with End Caps: Electronics

Sand off the paint on the mount where you screw on the ground strap. Then I snaked mine under the rear tailgate hinge cover and into the back of the Jeep. Then into and under the hidden compartment, out of the bottom through the drain hole and mounted it to one of the bolts on the trailer hitch. My SWR is 1:1.1. Let me know if u have any questions. Good luck
Holy balls. :eek: that looks like a shit ton of work. Good job, but I was really hoping to avoid something that involved.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts