Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Teraflex diff covers to protect my axles off road and was surprised to see that they are completely painted inside and out. All of the diff covers I have seen online have a freshly machined sealing surface. My question is if I use them is there a chance that the rtv seal will fail because of the paint? Will the paint inside of the cover hold up to the gear oil or will it break down and contaminate it? Seems like Teraflex would consider this but wanted to ask anyone who has used them this way. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,658 Posts
Not going to hurt painted or not. I would also recommend lube locker gaskets in place of RTV.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Dynatrac does the same thing on the cover for their Prorock 44 - painted inside & out, including the mating surface. It appears to be a high quality finish, but it's a slightly textured finish so I was really worried about the flange seal. I'm a fan of metal-to-metal contact on these surfaces, so I was going to carefully strip the coating, but never got around to it. It's been a while and I've had no issues with the RTV leaking at the flange or any breakdown of the paint. I say paint, but I believe that it's powder coating. I think you'll be fine, as long as TF did a good job on the coating.

Reactions: Jerry2117

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I say paint, but I believe that it's powder coating. I think you'll be fine, as long as TF did a good job on the coating.
It does look like they did a good job on the coating. There are some sharp edges though where they didn't do any deburring that I am going to break before I install. Mainly the inside of the fill holes so I don't cut my finger if I decide to poke it through to feel the oil level.

About the Lube Locker. Any good reason that I would need to remove the covers once they are installed? There is a drain hole so it is not necessary for changing the fluid. Inspecting the gears? Wouldn't a chipped tooth stick to the drain magnet? Also I feel that the bond of the RTV would help make the axle more rigid compared to a gasket that is not bonded to the cover.

·
Premium Member
8,658 Posts
.......About the Lube Locker. Any good reason that I would need to remove the covers once they are installed? There is a drain hole so it is not necessary for changing the fluid. Inspecting the gears? Wouldn't a chipped tooth stick to the drain magnet? Also I feel that the bond of the RTV would help make the axle more rigid compared to a gasket that is not bonded to the cover.
The bond of RTV is not really going to add anything to the rigidity of the axle. RTV is elastic when dried and would not do anything to stop or mitigate the housing from flexing.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The bond of RTV is not really going to add anything to the rigidity of the axle. RTV is elastic when dried and would not do anything to stop or mitigate the housing from flexing.
My Prorock 44 doesn't have a drain, so I have to remove the cover to change the oil. I use Permatex Gear Oil RTV on the cover, and there is barely any RTV on the mating surfaces when I remove the cover, and I can see where a lot of the surface basically has contact. So I think the RTV may theoretically allow less 'flex' than a LubeLocker gasket. But, with that said, I'm not sure either arrangement really adds any quantifiable rigidity to the housing.

·
Premium Member
8,658 Posts
My Prorock 44 doesn't have a drain, so I have to remove the cover to change the oil. I use Permatex Gear Oil RTV on the cover, and there is barely any RTV on the mating surfaces when I remove the cover, and I can see where a lot of the surface basically has contact. So I think the RTV may theoretically allow less 'flex' than a LubeLocker gasket. But, with that said, I'm not sure either arrangement really adds any quantifiable rigidity to the housing.
I am sure they don't.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I noticed a big difference in rigidity when I put my ARB covers on,,,...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts