Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added Quadratec Hard Rock wheels and 35/12.50/R17 Nitto Ridge Grapper tires. The tires and wheel combination are perfect. No rub and the quietest ride I ever had in my offroad vehicle in 15 years. I was immediately aware of the reduced braking power of the new setup. The 35 inch tires did not inspire confidence in braking. I was not able to lock up the brakes and the ABS would not engage in dry road braking. Just not enough braking power pure and simple. I did a lot of research on larger brakes which fell into 4 camps. Teraflex, Mopar and Dynaflex as well as other super expensive options. I found a great deal from Northridge4x4 via an email offer when they had an offer of 5% less than price match. I was able to land $617 for the fronts Big Brake Kit and $313 for the rear Performance Kit.

After the install, all I can say is WOW!!. The Teraflex brakes are awesome. I can stop faster than some sports cars I have had in the past. If you have 35s or 315s you really really need to think of the safety of your setup. I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock with full skids and the hardtop with a weight of 5540 pounds on the scale. I am using the stock master cylinder and brake booster and it is all I need. The wheels with stick on balancing weights give just barely clearance for the weights on the front calipers. It is a lot of money any way you slice it but it could mean the difference of getting stopped in time and wishing you could of stopped faster before an accident.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Those are nice. I was looking into them too. My brakes suck and I'm always having my abs kick in bc the big tires. Just boo money right now and I need new driveshafts and control arms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Nice! This is going to be my next mod I think. I wouldn't say the stopping power on 35s is bad. It's not good either though. Lots of room for improvement. I have noticed it takes a lot of force to stay stopped when crawling down something steep. This looks like a pretty easy mod to do as well. I'm going to get it done before I head to Colorado this summer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
After lifting my Jeep and putting on new bumpers, I had a couple close calls given the stopping distance was obviously greater. To help keep my blood pressure in check, I put in this same setup from TeraFlex. It has made all the difference in the world. My only issue was the brake peddle felt mushy after the install. It has since worn in and feels much firmer.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I have the TeraFlex Big Brake Kit and love it. My Jeep is tall, heavy, big tires and it stops great.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Nice! This is going to be my next mod I think. I wouldn't say the stopping power on 35s is bad. It's not good either though. Lots of room for improvement. I have noticed it takes a lot of force to stay stopped when crawling down something steep. This looks like a pretty easy mod to do as well. I'm going to get it done before I head to Colorado this summer.
Check into the Dynatrac kit also, especially if you don't want to do calipers and a master Cylinder.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just painted my calipers red and rotor centers black w caliper paint. Gonna look bad plus I won't get that stupid flaky rust on the back rotor cooling fins. If your gonna paint these do it before they go on for best results.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I did not do a master cylinder and it is great without one. I remember it might be necessary for older JKs.
It also helps firm up the pedal on newer models too. Nothing wrong with having a larger bore booster and master cylinder, I added the 1 from the Mopar BBK to my Wilwood BBK and it's awesome.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've run the TF BBK for the last six yeas on my '09 JKUR with 37s and highly recommend the kit. Last year I added the Mopar BBK's master & booster, again recommended. Pre-2011s benefit from a master upgrade to the latest spec.

You can get close to the BBK's performance with the TF Big Rotor Kit, which is essentially the same as Mopar's BR6 13" Rotor option on Euro spec JKs. (You can source these parts by finding a USA Dodge Nitro vin that has the BR6 option.) This uses the 13" rotor of the BBK with an extended caliper support. This setup is the same as what Dynatrac does for the fronts of their kit.

JKs are way under braked, so if you plan on running 35+ tires attention to this deficiency will pay dividends

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Been using Dynatrac ProGrip along with upgraded Master Cylinder and they work great.

Article

Prior to the brake upgrade, we recorded an average stopping distance of 172.31 feet. With the Dynatrac ProGrip system installed, we recorded an average braking distance of 140.47 feet, shortening up the length by 31.84 feet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did the black magic kit last week and it's a real improvement. It came with a master and dual piston calipers. I've been wondering what type of difference a booster would make compared to the stock. Any body who did the upgrade can tell me what the difference is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
I just did the black magic kit last week and it's a real improvement. It came with a master and dual piston calipers. I've been wondering what type of difference a booster would make compared to the stock. Any body who did the upgrade can tell me what the difference is?

The Black Magic kit is virtually identical to the Teraflex kit, in fact the rotors appear to be identical. Whatever, the 13.25" rotors & dual piston calipers are a sound upgrade. Looking all the options over, the Mopar BBK is the bargain of the bunch due to the addition of the J8 master cylinder & booster.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what kind of side steps are these?
I made them myself. Each step is removable with one bolt for when I go offroading. But for the rest of the time wife and grandkids can get in easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those are nice. I was looking into them too. My brakes suck and I'm always having my abs kick in bc the big tires. Just boo money right now and I need new driveshafts and control arms. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
If your activating the ABS with bigger tires, don't see how larger brakes would help.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I did not do a master cylinder and it is great without one. I remember it might be necessary for older JKs.
Installing mine Friday. Just front Teraflex BBK.

Cant Wait. I just replaced rotors and calipers on rear 2 months ago, just went with a basic OE replacement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry, I meant what the difference a booster would make compared to the stock one. My bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts