Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of our forum members been successful with mounting a 4 Gallon Rotopax to the TF HD carrier with no issue?

Been looking in the net, and couldn't get any particular feedback. I've decided to finally purchase a CB, and for the most people it would stop at that...

Now I find myself researching an antennae mount, that has now progressed to the Hi-Lift mount, that has now progressed into using the Hi-Lift mount for a 4 gallon Rotopax!

In which case, I was looking for a solution in which when I'm not wheeling, I could easily remove my antennae and Rotopax without it looking obtrusive and still look OEM (it's my fiance's rig, and we can't make it looking to masculine lol).

Does anybody have any solutions or new mounting brackets that will fit the antennae and a 4 gallon Rotopax with the TF HD carrier?

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
I went thru this a few months ago, Teraflex said the 4 gallon won't fit.
I'm also not happy with the CB reception when the hi-lift is mounted. They bang each other and generally don't play well together.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went thru this a few months ago, Teraflex said the 4 gallon won't fit. I'm also not happy with the CB reception when the hi-lift is mounted. They bang each other and generally don't play well together. Good luck :thumb:
Damn, I was afraid of this. I'll check out Maximus to see if they have any options.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I run mine in combination with TF carrier and 35" tire, but I run it with the through tire mount similar to what Rotopax sells. I can run a 2, 2x2, 4, all fuel or water and fuel or any combo in-between. I usually only carry a single 2 when running trails within 200 miles of home as I have never needed more, but on longer trips away from home I have often run either a 4 or 2x2 combo.

Photos of my JKU with just a 2 gallon Rotopax mounted. Once removed there is almost no sign on the attachment point.

As far as the Hilift goes if you have a JKU take a look at the Dominion mount. It locates the jack along the interior rear roof line between the role bars. It sits up out of view to the driver and does not take up valuable floor space. I have run mine since day two often forget it is there.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had this same issue with the CB reception when the hi lift was mounted. I was running a 2' firestick and with the hi lift my SWR's were peaking out. I went to a 3' Firestick and that took care of the problem. Just thought i'd toss that out there.

I went thru this a few months ago, Teraflex said the 4 gallon won't fit.
I'm also not happy with the CB reception when the hi-lift is mounted. They bang each other and generally don't play well together.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I mount my Rotopax off the spare tire as well using the Vector Offroad EXO Rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run mine in combination with TF carrier and 35" tire, but I run it with the through tire mount similar to what Rotopax sells. I can run a 2, 2x2, 4, all fuel or water and fuel or any combo in-between. I usually only carry a single 2 when running trails within 200 miles of home as I have never needed more, but on longer trips away from home I have often run either a 4 or 2x2 combo. Photos of my JKU with just a 2 gallon Rotopax mounted. Once removed there is almost no sign on the attachment point. As far as the Hilift goes if you have a JKU take a look at the Dominion mount. It locates the jack along the interior rear roof line between the role bars. It sits up out of view to the driver and does not take up valuable floor space. I have run mine since day two often forget it is there.
HiDiver,

I have the Teraflex 3rd brake light... Looks like I'm going to have to remove it.

Do you have a link of the bracket to purchase for the spare?

Also how did you mount your antennae?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mount my Rotopax off the spare tire as well using the Vector Offroad EXO Rack.
ATX,

Looks like I'll be going this route with you and Hive.

Are you by chance using Teraflex's 3rd BrakeLight? Will it fit underneath the RotoPax mount?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the TF hinge and carrier, a 4 gallon Roto, the first aid kit and a small H2O container + my Hi-lift. The first aid kit and H20 mount to the other side of the fuel; antenna mounted to the center. The only issue is my Hi-lift rattles. But that's a hi-lift issue. Unfortunately I have it all off right now or I'd take a pic. This pic is old. I think I may have pics at home of the complete set up..will check later. But it can be done with a little rigging.
These rigs with their RotoPax look amazing!

JeepHerz, would absolutely love to see your set up if you should come across that pix!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
HiDiver,

I have the Teraflex 3rd brake light... Looks like I'm going to have to remove it.

Do you have a link of the bracket to purchase for the spare?

Also how did you mount your antennae?
I have the TF 3rd brake light extension as well I have found no issues with it over the last three years. Why do you feel it needs to be removed?

My CB antennae is mounted on a simple L shaped bracket bolted to the TF 3rd brake light extension and small eyebolt that is used to keep the antennae from hitting the hard top. This set up has proven to work very well for me. I could take a few photo of it if you like. Everything is hardware store off the shelf stuff. I had to open a few holes a bit wider in the L bracket but that is very easy to do with a basic drill.

The mounting system for the Rotopax I used was intended as a licenses plate holder. The company that makes them way over builds them. With a basic drill I added a few bolt holes and done. I later found that Rotopax makes their own and if I was to do it again I would just buy the one from Rotopax. Depended on how flush fit to the tire you want the Rotopaxs to sit if you are running stock rims you might have to cut the Rotopax mount down a bit. If after market rims then you should be fine as they are set up more for the backspacing on after
market rims.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
ATX,

Looks like I'll be going this route with you and Hive.

Are you by chance using Teraflex's 3rd BrakeLight? Will it fit underneath the RotoPax mount?
I'm running the TF 3rd brake light mount and the Rotopax containers will cover them up. My TF 3rd brake light mount through the spare tire. I'm typically on the trail when I mount the Rotopax. I would have to raise the light a little while on the street though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to find a 4 gallon Rotopax with the TF hi-lift carrier... But no information as to how close the tailgate can be opened before it hits the passenger rear brake light?

Of if I stacked (vertically) two separate 1 gallon locking RotoPax would this make clearance for that light?

As of now, looks like Vector will be that choice but sure would love to know if this picture actually works?

Here's a link in which I was speaking of. (WF is giving me an error about posting a pic?)

https://www.google.com/search?q=rotopax.with+HD+carrier&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS622US623&hl=en-US&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB9q6YvJ7LAhVK4CYKHSKFDUkQ_AUICCgC&biw=375&bih=591#imgrc=FSimy6cVhQGQ9M:

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Your link shows a lot of pics. The first one upper left is what I have- I think. Any particular reason you have to have the 4 gallon? How out of gas are you planning on being? (Irony aside). 2 gallons is an easy fix and gets you pretty far.
If you look close at this pic you'll see where you can mount one in each side.

View attachment 2857601

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
That makes sense for non-drinking water. I don't use my single gallon water container anymore however. I found it was just easier to get a couple of big jugs of water. The spout isn't real conducive to pouring and you have to remove it to use it. The water had a plasticy taste. For me it was more work than benefit. Not a big deal for the couple of times you need gas- but a pain otherwise. Maybe someone on the JK owners thread found a better way to utilize it. I didn't read through it. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts