Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the TF tire carrier today and having issue.

1. The tire/carrier is not straight. Hard to get last lug nut tight. Had to loosen others but I think I can fix this easily by adjusting it.

2. Main issues I cant get the two bolts that hold the position of carrier tight enough to eliminate play. Using a bar-torque wrench have it up to 52nm and still have some play.

Any suggestions on both? Watched video already and the directions of marking and then sliding in deeper seemed odd

DIRT BOY
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited - Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 Steering Stabilizer * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18 x 9 Wheels * BEST LED Headlights & Fogs * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert, TeraFlex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Black Aluminum Hood Latches * AMI Stubbie 15"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,657 Posts
There are two thick washers shims that need to be used on one of the bolts that holds the horizontal slide tight. This will hold the carrier straight.

When adjusting the horizontal slide, yes they suggest 1/8" to 3/16" additional push in so that you have a snug crush fit between the tire and the hinge. This eliminates tire bounce.
Torque them slide mount bolts to 55 ft. lbs. It then will not move!!!!!!

1110161229 (002) carrier install.jpg

IMG_20161114_103329.jpg

^^^Mine installed about a month ago.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shims are there and I cant get it any tighter. Will try over tomorrow. I measured and your everything.

What I did was put tire on and slide against the carrier. Removed tire and tighten it all down

DIRT BOY
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited - Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 Steering Stabilizer * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18 x 9 Wheels * BEST LED Headlights & Fogs * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert, TeraFlex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Black Aluminum Hood Latches * AMI Stubbie 15"

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, those installed per directions

DIRT BOY

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shims are there and I cant get it any tighter. Will try over tomorrow. I measured and your everything.

What I did was put tire on and slide against the carrier. Removed tire and tighten it all down

DIRT BOY
Take the tire off, push the carrier in another 1/8 inch and then tighten it or the tire will rattle. Mine kept slipping out enough that the tire would rattle after a few weeks so I drilled and tapped a hole through both parts and put a bolt in it. It hasn't moved since then.

·
Registered
111 Posts
take the tire off, push the carrier in another 1/8 inch and then tighten it or the tire will rattle. Mine kept slipping out enough that the tire would rattle after a few weeks so i drilled and tapped a hole through both parts and put a bolt in it. It hasn't moved since then.
image-58192699.jpg
Installed mine 2 years ago and had the same problem. Drill, tap and bolt worked for me too.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took off the wheels, makes it and slid it in 3mm, which was the maximum it could go back. Tire fits perfectly now and I really bugged up the bolts. Zero play and finally have a spare again.

Went with the TF Brake light extension, FYI. Kida flimsy for $75 but hey, works.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought the same thing about that brake light extension. It rattled when I shut the gate until I properly adjusted the tire. Now the spare presses into it and holds it tight so there isn't any play. It's expensive for what it is, but I like the brake light location and I'm using the CB antenna mount.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well now it feels like my tailgate is not closing right. Feels like its dipping down when opening. Zero issues with 33" tire on there. Now with 35" it "feels" that way. Tailgate was wedge in place good during installation of hinge carrier.

DIRT BOY
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited - Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 Steering Stabilizer * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18 x 9 Wheels * BEST LED Headlights & Fogs * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert, TeraFlex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Black Aluminum Hood Latches * AMI Stubbie 21" * PIAA Superior Bass Horn

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well now it feels like my tailgate is not closing right. Feels like its dipping down when opening. Zero issues with 33" tire on there. Now with 35" it "feels" that way. Tailgate was wedge in place good during installation of hinge carrier.

I feel the same way with mine yet I only have a 33inch tire. However thinking about how to troubleshoot if my "Operator Headspace and Timing" was correct I looked at the wear surface of the latch and striker. Nothing out of the ordinary when compared to prior to the installment. Might be a good place to check the "feels"

~ Gizmo

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, the tailgate does dit down and bit and I can see the plastic in a little scratched up where the latch closes. Any idea how to fix this? Worked fine until the 35 went on.

DIRT BOY
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited - Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 Steering Stabilizer * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18 x 9 Wheels * Poison Spyder Brawler Lite Front Bumper with Brawler Bar * BEST LED Headlights & Fogs * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert, TeraFlex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Black Aluminum Hood Latches * AMI Stubbie 21" * PIAA Superior Bass Horn

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok, the tailgate does dit down and bit and I can see the plastic in a little scratched up where the latch closes. Any idea how to fix this? Worked fine until the 35 went on.

DIRT BOY
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited - Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 Steering Stabilizer * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18 x 9 Wheels * Poison Spyder Brawler Lite Front Bumper with Brawler Bar * BEST LED Headlights & Fogs * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert, TeraFlex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Black Aluminum Hood Latches * AMI Stubbie 21" * PIAA Superior Bass Horn

If it sits low on the latching side I'd say loosen your top set of hinge bolts, put two thin pieces of wood under the latch side and wedge the wood apart ultimately raising the latching side of the tailgate, then while pulling on your spare tire towards the passenger side retorque down the hinge bolts. That's just my thoughts on it however I'm sure teraflex has some sort of instructions for it. The adjustment room on this carrier can't be that big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yep very flimsy. First time on rough road the top smacked my back window so hard thought it cracked it. Had to place rubber bumpers on top edge to protect window.
Although I have a TF hinge with a RR carrier and third brake light. I had to modify the RR carrier a bit to clear that large hump the TF hinge has on the right side. I like the RR carrier better than TF and the RR third brake light is far superior to the TF third light kit IMO.

If it sits low on the latching side I'd say loosen your top set of hinge bolts, put two thin pieces of wood under the latch side and wedge the wood apart ultimately raising the latching side of the tailgate, then while pulling on your spare tire towards the passenger side retorque down the hinge bolts. That's just my thoughts on it however I'm sure teraflex has some sort of instructions for it. The adjustment room on this carrier can't be that big.
To adjust my tire while it was mounted I used a hi lift jack and lifted the spare to get the weight off of it. Then loosened the hinge bolts, had a helper jack the spare up just a hair while I re-torqued the hinge bolts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Although I have a TF hinge with a RR carrier and third brake light. I had to modify the RR carrier a bit to clear that large hump the TF hinge has on the right side. I like the RR carrier better than TF and the RR third brake light is far superior to the TF third light kit IMO.

To adjust my tire while it was mounted I used a hi lift jack and lifted the spare to get the weight off of it. Then loosened the hinge bolts, had a helper jack the spare up just a hair while I re-torqued the hinge bolts.

I haven't gotten to hi lift jack status yet and I tend to do most jeep things solo. However your way seems much more simplistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not so sure this is an issue with the actual hinge or not, but after the install I am hearing a clunking sort of sound from my passenger rear area. Initial thoughts are the "floating" brackets under where the original hinge was, are not tightened down, but all bolts were torqued to spec. The clunking I am trying to describe is only when the Jeep is twisting, (i.e. leaving a driveway that has a drop, or when going over uneven surfaces at an angle) so it makes sense to me that a "floating" bracket could be loose, but can't figure out how or where if all was torqued to spec. I can make the clunking happen if I open the tailgate and lift up and down continuous on the tail gate, so I am pretty positive it is not the actual hinge. Would it be possible to torque all the bolts down and still have loose "floating" brackets on the inside of the tailgate or rear passenger tail light area?

Anyone else have the clunking sound after installation?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
When I put a TF carrier on, I tightened those two clamp bolts and it shredded the lock washers and bent the spacers and still wiggled. I took it off the next day and sold the P.O.S. on craigslist. Now I'm running an evolution offroad hinged carrier. Made in the USA, 3/16" steel. It's not perfect (the bumpers don't stop it from opening too far), but it's super solid and a much better design. Oh and it's cheaper.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I found taking ur time and using boards under tailgate to bear the weight while maintaing proper alignment then torquing hinges with loctite alleviates all issues with tailgate movement. Install slowly and all is good.

The Green Machine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts