Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with the Teraflex hinged carrier and the adjustable spare mount how tight is your tire to the frame of the carrier? I installed mine today and it appears to be maybe 1/4" between the tire and the frame on the top but the bottom half of the tire is snug up against the frame which seems odd.

Should I adjust it to tighten it up a bit more? Can the adjustable carrier get a bit of a downward angle when one tightens the bolts that hold it in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I recently got new tires that are skinnier than my previous set. Now there is a gap of about 1/4" on the passenger side. I really need to adjust the mount down so the tire sits snug on both sides. On the driver side I have one of the original tire bump stops (the other one had to go when the HD hinge was installed). I think its a good idea to keep as much of the tire as possible snug against the hinge. If not, the tire might flex the mount. With early versions of the mount there were failures where the mount broke and tires came off. I am not aware the mount would take a downward angle. What I think happens is the part of the tire sitting against the hinge adjusts to the contour of the hinge - after all the tire IS rubber.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
For those of you with the Teraflex hinged carrier and the adjustable spare mount how tight is your tire to the frame of the carrier? I installed mine today and it appears to be maybe 1/4" between the tire and the frame on the top but the bottom half of the tire is snug up against the frame which seems odd.

Should I adjust it to tighten it up a bit more? Can the adjustable carrier get a bit of a downward angle when one tightens the bolts that hold it in?

Thanks!
It should be tight to the hinges. Are you running stock or aftermarket wheels??

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
AEV Pintlers. Sounds like I need to adjust it a bit.....
I know mine rotated because I was running stock wheels so TF sent me a spacer and I never used it. I use the stock carrier and it has worked great. It sits 3" lower and even presses against the brake light tower for another point of contact.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, it should be tight... Mine rattled like hell before I got it tightened down properly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got it. I watched the video and before I installed I watched one too.

I put the second bolt through the slot on the mount attached to the gate and not through the slot for that and the slot on the adjustable piece. That bolt being there kept it from being able to be adjusted far enough back to get the tire up against the carrier with a bit of pre-load.

I tried to adjust it first without moving but just loosening that bolt thinking it was strange I couldn't get the carrier adjusted back further. That first adjustment got it closer but still not quite where it should be.

Walked away for a while thinking how odd it would be that it wouldn't be able to be adjusted far enough back. I mean these come pre-installed on some Jeeps off the dealer lot and the stock, skinny tires must flush up.....and then it occurred to me what the issue was so off the spare came again, moved the second bolt to pass through both slots and there it was. Got the adjustment needed, tightened it down and got the tire up on the hinge now with just a bit of pre-load...right where it should be.

Thanks for the input and help on this guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts