Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been looking into upgrading the control arms on my Jeep, and with all the holiday sales coming up this weekend I'd figure it's a good time to pick up a set.

So here's my thoughts... I've been looking at the Metalcloak short arm kit with the Duroflex joints. They seem like really nice bushings with good benefits, and they have a good reputation for quality. On the flipside, Teraflex just came out with their new IR bushings that are supposed to be as good if not better. Teraflex is nice because they're 7 miles from my house, so they're local.

One thought I have is to get the Terflex IR bushing kit and just press the IR bushings into my stock control arms. I already have AEV drop brackets, and I'm already at the amount of lift I want; so do I even need adjustable controls?...

So, what's everyone thoughts on the better short arm kit? Teraflex or Metalcloak? Or a bushing kit in the stock arms?

Teraflex kit: https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-alpine-ir-control-arm-kit-8-arm-adjustable-2-4-lift

Metalcloak kit: https://metalcloak.com/jk-wrangler-duroflex-control-arms-full-set.html

Thanks for any input guys!

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts
Can't comment on the TeraFlex IR joint but I have ran the MC control arms for that last 4 years almost and they put the stock joints to shame. IMO the stock joints are to soft and make for a harsh ride. The DuraFlex joint is firmer and does a much better job of soaking up pot holes and expansion joints without being harsh like you would get with a poly bushing or hiem joint.

The other thing I would point out is the IR joint rotates freely at all times compared to the MC joint that only rotates during extreme articulation. Stock bushings and Duraflex bushing actually aid the stocks by resisting the movement of the wheel, we are only talking on the street here and slight motions. With the IR joint you are really going to need to dial in the shocks to control the wheel.

On my last Corvette I went to coilovers very early with it and later added poly joints. The poly work the the same way as far as rotation goes. The coilovers had 20 adjustments for rebound and dampning each. Prior to the poly I probably had a range of 10 that would work on the street. Once I went to poly maybe 3. It work very well, handling was a dream but it took $4000 coilovers to tame it.

But I say give them a try and report back.

Reactions: JnrJeep

·
Registered
879 Posts
I love my MC adjustable arms. They articulate well and are quiet. Also rust free after a couple years in Michigan.

I see that the TF arms use pinch brackets to keep the end of the arm from moving where MC uses Jam nuts. I prefer Jam nuts but you will need a monster sized wrench to tighten them properly.

TF makes quality products so you probably won't go wrong with either choice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nothing against Teraflex as I'm running lots of Teraflex parts on my JK, but Metalcloak is 100% USA while Teraflex arms are rumored to be at least partially China made.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
If you live that close to TF would be a no brainer for me. I would at least go over and see if it would be possible to press the IR bushing into stock control arms. geo brackets can be used with adjustable control arms just adjust them to stock length.

·
Administrator
16,969 Posts
I don't know anyone with the IR arms yet, too new for the JK. But I doubt they'll press into the stock arms. (don't know that, just doubt it) :) Like Jadmt said, call them or go there and ask.

One thing I feel Teraflex does better than the rest is ride quality. Lots of people on here love their MC and rave about the ride, but the 3 people I personally know complain of MC having a harsher ride than the Teraflex on our Jeeps. I don't know if that's caused from the coils or the arms. Don't mean to offend the MC guys.

Also as mentioned, the TF arms are a cinch to install compared to the jam nuts on the MC (and others) I've had zero issues with the clamp on our Alpine arms. And it's great when setting up the Jeep to be able to do it from underneath, everything stays straight and lined up. No jig needed to do it properly.

Our last 3 JKs we shopped and compared MC and TF and ultimately went with TF for the ride comfort. But I gotta tell you the new Core 4x4 stuff looks pretty good! I haven't heard any reports on ride comfort though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
One thing I feel Teraflex does better than the rest is ride quality. Lots of people on here love their MC and rave about the ride, but the 3 people I personally know complain of MC having a harsher ride than the Teraflex on our Jeeps. I don't know if that's caused from the coils or the arms. Don't mean to offend the MC guys.
Hello! I reckon I'm one of the 3 MC guys (also my initials). My buddy has the old Mopar 3" lift on his JK and is running the Mopar/Fox rezzie 2.0 shocks. His Jeep rides worse than mine with MC 3.5" and Falcon 3.3's -- especially on city streets. I'm not doubting Clevite style bushings are more forgiving than MC Duroflex, but IMO, the difference is minimal. Anything is better than rod ends (heim joints) as they absorb absolutely nothing.

Spring rate & shock valving are ultimately the two biggest factors in ride comfort. Differences in bushings, again IMO, are down the list a bit farther.

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts
.......One thing I feel Teraflex does better than the rest is ride quality. Lots of people on here love their MC and rave about the ride, but the 3 people I personally know complain of MC having a harsher ride than the Teraflex on our Jeeps. I don't know if that's caused from the coils or the arms. Don't mean to offend the MC guys.....
No offense taken but I can see a few reason for this. The first would be on fairly smooth roads MC actually is not as compliant as stock, that is not to say it is harsh. The second would be a light build. And a light build with MC springs is anything other than fully armored, fully load rig. Even my rig with everything I have on it has more than 2.5 inches of lift until I load in down and hook up the trailer. When it is like that the ride is very nice.

Reactions: Blue Baby Sound

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not to add more options here, but what about the new Synergy arms:
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jk-control-arm-kit.html?category_id=4965

I currently have Teraflex lower Alpine Arms and MC Upper Arms. Went from Mopar 2" lift which was way to soft, to the MC 2.5" True Dual Rate lift which included the upper arms. The Teraflex Alpine Arms are WAY easier to adjust and keep tight vs the MC. Tempted to replace both by fronts, just not sure which way to go yet. Keeping an eye on this thread for sure :)

Ken~

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
If you can retro-fit the new bushings into the original Alpine arms I would be very interested in this.
you can. they have the install instructions on TF web site but they are not cheap.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
you can. they have the install instructions on TF web site but they are not cheap.
I see that. I found them, after a couple failed attempts.
$690 isn't cheap, that is something like half the price of a full set of arms. But it is still cheaper than a new set. The other option for me would be to start buying Core4x4 arms. I already have six of the eight arms by TeraFlex, Alpine arms. I was thinking of switching to the Core arms, but maybe I will stick with the Alpine arms and upgrade the bushings down the road. Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
300 Posts
The Teraflex Alpine Arms are WAY easier to adjust and keep tight vs the MC.

Ken~
For the MC arms all you need is a large adjustable wrench and red Loctite. If they come loose, hit the gym or have your wife/gf/mom tighten them the next time.

:funnypost:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts