Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i was going to purchase the teraflex leveling kit for my jeep. My main concern is that some people including the teraflex video do NOT loosen the C/A or Trackbar bolts, for the spacers and extended end links. What do you guys think? I mean it will take an extra 2 mins to loosen those bolts then lower the jeep on the tires and rock it then re-tighten them.

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
There are different approaches to lift kit installation (coil or spacer). Some prefer to reduce effort by minimizing disassembly as in the case you describe if you can get the lift without a gorilla effort without disconnecting *all* of the suspension links then its a good option. IMO, as soon as you loosen one of the links you have to very careful not introduce binding when when retightening the joint(s). The easiest way to do that is to loose the joints of the other links and torque them when you apply the weight of the JK back on the suspension.

You will get plenty of opinions on both sides. Run a quick search on spring compressors and some really good discussion on both sides of the issue will come up. Then just do what you are comfortable with. Keep in mind the manufacturer of the lift has your best interest in mind although sometimes it is not the simplest path.

·
Super Moderator
21,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Ill be honest trying to get my 6 1 225 lb frame under the jeep when on the ground to get to the upper CA bolts was not going to happen. I did do the trackbars and lower Ca. Could be why my end links are angled in a bit on the bottom.

·
Registered
156 Posts
For what its worth, I just did this same kit the other weekend. I used the instructions provided and unlike the video (which I saw after the fact) I did not remove the track bar bolts etc...and I was able to get the spacers in without a spring compressor.
I did have a spring compressor, but using it seemed like more work than good because the rod inside the spring would hit the top or bottom seat if used.
The shock removal and sway bar link on front allows the axle to drop enough to easily get the springs out. I added both spacers in front, and simply used a crow bar to help compress the spring onto the seat.
The rear was more difficult. The left rear took a lot of muscle and key crow bar positioning to get spring in place.
Probably took me the same amount of time as if I did remove all the additional links as shown on the video.
Hope this helps,.... have fun,...and Oh yea,.. I'm 54,.. 6'4" & 245,... LOL,..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill be honest trying to get my 6 1 225 lb frame under the jeep when on the ground to get to the upper CA bolts was not going to happen. I did do the trackbars and lower Ca. Could be why my end links are angled in a bit on the bottom.
This one of my concerns also....

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I did mine I just followed the teraflex video, was easy enough, only loosened what they said to. The one thing that helped me a ton was on the rear I was having trouble removing and then reinstalling the springs. I muscled them out, but to get them back in I simply put a small ratchet strap one coil from the top and bottom on both sides and ratcheted them up to compress the spring just a bit so it would slip in, then I let the straps go, rotated the springs to hit the pockets and all was good!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For what its worth, I just did this same kit the other weekend. I used the instructions provided and unlike the video (which I saw after the fact) I did not remove the track bar bolts etc...and I was able to get the spacers in without a spring compressor.
I did have a spring compressor, but using it seemed like more work than good because the rod inside the spring would hit the top or bottom seat if used.
The shock removal and sway bar link on front allows the axle to drop enough to easily get the springs out. I added both spacers in front, and simply used a crow bar to help compress the spring onto the seat.
The rear was more difficult. The left rear took a lot of muscle and key crow bar positioning to get spring in place.
Probably took me the same amount of time as if I did remove all the additional links as shown on the video.
Hope this helps,.... have fun,...and Oh yea,.. I'm 54,.. 6'4" & 245,... LOL,..

How long did it take you?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I, too, have the Terraflex Leveling Kit in my '14 JK, that came with 12/52 springs. When I installed the leveling kit I disconnected everything that the instructions said to. Yesterday I installed 18/59 springs, both of which are longer than the stock springs. To install them, I only disconnected the lower shock mount and sway bar link, and was able to get all of the springs in with no problem. I did have to push down on the axle to get them in, but it was no trouble. Didn't have to take the leveling pucks out, so you should be able to do the install like I did...the springs should easily come out and go back in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I installed the leveling kit on my Jk last weekend. I only unbolted the shocks and the end links and the springs came out pretty easy. The back were a little harder. Did you guys have to straighten your steering wheel when you were done?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts