Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sport and want to put larger tires (either 285-70r17 or 295-70r17 Duratracs and some MB Rims) and a 1.5'' Teraflex leveling kit on it. I've been searching for a garage around Charleston, WV that knows how to install lift kits on Wranglers. Everywhere I go I get the same answer of "We don't do lift kits" or "Uhhh yeah I think we could probably do it"(Which provides me zero confidence in letting someone mess with my new jeep's suspension). Does anyone know of an experienced garage in West Virginia, Eastern Ohio or Eastern Kentucky? Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Side question, With the Teraflex Leveling kit I've seen where some people have changed their shocks and springs to the Rubicon's red shocks and springs; Is this something that is recommended? Is there any benefit to it?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Side question, With the Teraflex Leveling kit I've seen where some people have changed their shocks and springs to the Rubicon's red shocks and springs; Is this something that is recommended? Is there any benefit to it?
Gives you a firmer ride if that's what you want.

I have the Teraflex leveling kit installed and will be going to Rancho RS9000's as they are adjustable, so you can have a firmer ride off road and softer on best of both worlds.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have the 1 inch Teraflex spacers on mine to level it out in the front. I did not put any spacers in the rear. I came across a set of springs and shocks from a 2014 Rubicon X. My spring numbers are 19s in the front and 60s in the rear. Red shocks. Much firmer ride than original. Easy install and looks better.

·
Commercial Member
245 Posts
If you are comfortable with a wrench and have the resources the teraflex leveling kit can be installed in 2-3hrs. I installed the 1.5" leveling kit 2 inch spacers up front 1" in the back...front left spring was a bear to get back in otherwise not bad...took care of the factory rake and raised it a bit, happy with the results...there is a teraflex YouTube video that walks you through the install...

·
Commercial Member
245 Posts
I did this on a 2010 sport...for now kept the stock shocks/springs...running 265/70/17's on stock rims with spidertrax 1.5" spacers until I wear them out

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you are comfortable with a wrench and have the resources the teraflex leveling kit can be installed in 2-3hrs. I installed the 1.5" leveling kit 2 inch spacers up front 1" in the back...front left spring was a bear to get back in otherwise not bad...took care of the factory rake and raised it a bit, happy with the results...there is a teraflex YouTube video that walks you through the install...
ARCS did you measure your rake prior to install? i am considering the same kit or just putting 1/2" spacers in the front to compensate for the 1/2" rake.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
One would think that pro could do a better job but when it comes to suspension mods is scarcity of good shops with qualified mechanics. Do it yourself. It's not that hard and you will pay a lot more attention to detail than your average shop.

·
Commercial Member
245 Posts
I didn't measure the rake before I started, based on your measurements it looks like you would need at least a 1" spacer up front if you want to just do that to level out...keep in mind though that if you decide to add weight up front down the road(i.e.-new bumper, winch, etc) that you may end up at square 1 with the rake again. I would recommend the 1.5" leveling kit and DIY-plus side is you learn a lot about the mechanics of the suspension that way too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
:iamhappy:If this is any help to you-here is a pic of my 2015 with 285/70R/17's with the TerraFlex 1.5" leveling kit. The rims are 17 x 9 Rugged Ridges. I had the dealer install the leveling kit as there was no labor charge because they owed me a favor. You might check with your dealer about making you a deal on labor. I like the kit -have about 1000 mi. on it with no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I put the kit on my 14 JKU Sport and I couldn't be happier. Put on 285 70 17 but am regretting not going up to the 305 70 17.

Good luck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I didn't measure the rake before I started, based on your measurements it looks like you would need at least a 1" spacer up front if you want to just do that to level out...keep in mind though that if you decide to add weight up front down the road(i.e.-new bumper, winch, etc) that you may end up at square 1 with the rake again. I would recommend the 1.5" leveling kit and DIY-plus side is you learn a lot about the mechanics of the suspension that way too.
thanks, actually my 1/2" rake is with a barricade bumper + skid plate (a net gain of around 75 lbs up front) and hardtop on. that's why I'm debating the leveling kit vs just the 1/2" front spacers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I'm starting to think too. I even went to the jeep dealership and they didn't even know if mopar sold a lift and then quoted me $2,000 for a 2" lift. I would let Helen Keller install a lift on my jeep before I would the dealership after seeing how little they knew. I'm completely new to this and I had more knowledge on lifts then they did

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put the kit on my 14 JKU Sport and I couldn't be happier. Put on 285 70 17 but am regretting not going up to the 305 70 17.

Good luck.
Do you have any spacers on there? If not do you have any rubbing at full turn? Thinking of going with simliar setup. Do you have stock rims or something different with different BS?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:iamhappy:If this is any help to you-here is a pic of my 2015 with 285/70R/17's with the TerraFlex 1.5" leveling kit. The rims are 17 x 9 Rugged Ridges. I had the dealer install the leveling kit as there was no labor charge because they owed me a favor. You might check with your dealer about making you a deal on labor. I like the kit -have about 1000 mi. on it with no issues.
Did you have to get an alignment after the leveling kit was installed?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts