Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Interested as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! First thoughts?
Overall I was really impressed with the instructions and how well everything went together while installing this rack. I'm digging the low profile look of the rack and how simple it looks installed. I also didn't notice any additional noise today while on the highway on my way to work (one of the biggest reasons I chose this rack). Did a quick hose test on the roof and no leaks! Gonna take it through a touch less car wash tonight and see how it holds up to the high pressure.

You can't even tell that the rack is up there, another positive in my book.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for posting! I'm planning to get this installed in a couple weeks.

Is it true that you can use it to hook on so that's it's easier to remove the hard top?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Is it true that you can use it to hook on so that's it's easier to remove the hard top?

I don't see why not. Once you remove the 4 bolts that fasten the rack to the roll bar support brackets you installed inside the Jeep, the rack is still connected at all four corners to the hardtop itself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't see why not. Once you remove the 4 bolts that fasten the rack to the roll bar support brackets you installed inside the Jeep, the rack is still connected at all four corners to the hardtop itself.
Thanks! That's what I thought and I also thought they mentioned it in a video but can't seem to find it. I was just wondering if they mentioned it in the directions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks very clean! Did you do the install? Also, what bumper are you running?
thanks!

Yeah, I did the install. Wasn't nearly as bad as I was anticipating it to be. The only downside is that the mounting points interfered with the hothead headliner I have installed. The front support is right above the corner of the headliner. This one I was able to bend back when I installed the top and it sits right above the roll bar speaker pod so you can't even tell. The rear mount however is right smack in the middle of where the hothead liner is. I removed it and am going to cut the liner and fold the cloth back over it before I re-install. I'll try to get some pics of this as soon as I can.

Bumper is a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite

·
Registered
222 Posts
thanks!

Yeah, I did the install. Wasn't nearly as bad as I was anticipating it to be. The only downside is that the mounting points interfered with the hothead headliner I have installed. The front support is right above the corner of the headliner. This one I was able to bend back when I installed the top and it sits right above the roll bar speaker pod so you can't even tell. The rear mount however is right smack in the middle of where the hothead liner is. I removed it and am going to cut the liner and fold the cloth back over it before I re-install. I'll try to get some pics of this as soon as I can.

Bumper is a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite
Monzter that looks super sharp. Honest question though, what is it for? Is it purely for strapping things to? Or is there a basket out there that attaches to this rack? Or does this rack function similar to a basket, hard to tell if there are four "sides" to it...

Thanks.

-Alex

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

Thanks! That's what I thought and I also thought they mentioned it in a video but can't seem to find it. I was just wondering if they mentioned it in the directions.
Here's the Vid, around 1:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oJMd3MvuU

$475 at Quadratec (sponsor so you might get a better deal)
Teraflex 4722000 - TeraFlex Nebo Roof Rack for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Monzter that looks super sharp. Honest question though, what is it for? Is it purely for strapping things to? Or is there a basket out there that attaches to this rack? Or does this rack function similar to a basket, hard to tell if there are four "sides" to it...

Thanks.

-Alex
My main reason for getting the rack is for going camping with the family. Typically it's just my son and I, and when we do go the rear storage area and the back seat are both full of stuff. Whenever my wife and daughter come along, we either take two vehicles or they will ride with someone else. Not ideal by any means.

I plan to get some storage boxes that I can strap down up there, along with a waterproof soft sided carrier and hopefully at some point a roof top tent for when its just me and my boy.

The other reason I went with this rack is that I plan to pass this Jeep down to both my 15yr old daughter (who's learning how to drive in it right now) and then eventually to my 12yr old son when my daughter goes away to college.

This rack really doesn't change the day to day functionality of the Jeep at all, i've already tested going into 80" parking garages with it and there are no clearance issues…and that is with the AEV 2.5" lift and 35's (well actually 34.1" which is what the Duratrac 315's measure out to I believe)….and I already mentioned no noise at all when on the highway.

My first choice in racks was the Gobi Stealth and if I was the only driver and I was really doing any expedition type camping or off-roading, that's definitely the rack I would have gotten. But in reality, this rack is way more practical for me and my family. I routinely park in parking garages when going to the gym, movies, work events, and yes the MALL :) The Gobi and any other rack that sticks up too high would have caused me all sorts of headaches when parking.

End of the day, i'm really happy with the choice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for taking the time and posting this!

Like the deal from Quadratec. Definitely will send a PM their way.

My main reason is also basically for camping and the low profile look of the rack and now very happy about the easy (hopefully) hook up to remove the hard top.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice upgrade. Was it hard aligning and drilling the holes in your roof? It seems like you only have 1 shot at drilling the hole and making it line up with the mounting bracket.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts