Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I'm about to pull my damn hair out!! I've been researching, researching and doing more researching I finally want to say F*CK IT! and just make a decision but when I do, I go back to the same thinking. My Rubicon is used as a daily commuter, limited off road if any plus to be honest I've never done a trail but that's not saying that I won't do a few in the future. Some my friends who own Jeeps all say that once you do the trails you'll be hooked, well lets just see about that :) but my main concerns is ride quality, comfort and not a fatiguing ride. So I have narrowed down to 2 lift manufacturers, AEV & Teraflex. I've heard that if my main concern is ride quality, good high handling, road manners to stick with AEV, but if I want good off road and ok road manners go with Teraflex.

I will be using 35's all terrains and quite possibly one of these wheels.. I know that I will be using 20 inch wheels because I love how they look and they aggressive stance that they offer, not sure if I should go with 12 wide or 10 wide, still undecided... So??? I'm about to explode! :atomic:
Also, when if and when I'll go offroading, trails etc I wil have a different set of cheap wheels/tires for that or just keep my stock Rubicon wheels but I won't be using 20's for trails..

·
Registered
330 Posts
With everything you've described in your goals... AEV all the way. Here's the full formula:

(AEV lift) + (Steering Attenuator) + (Geometry Correction Brackets) + (Bolt kit) + (LT tires for stiff sidewall) = Best on-road performance!

·
Registered
178 Posts
So I've read many times aev for a daily and teraflex for the trail. Can someone explain why? Is it the triple rate springs on aev vs the linear springs on teraflex that makes people say that? Ive also read that teraflex will allow for more travel, is that true and why?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am very happy with the aev in our two jk. We go off-road every weekend but it is mainly over landing, expedition, snowy roads to our cabin in the mountains and very rarely a trail but we are not doing crazy rock crawling. Both jk are also our DD. I test drove jks with aev, with teraflex, with metal cloak. And for our need the aev was the perfect choice as it feels fantastic also as a DD, actually much better thank stock.

We just did the 2.5 which gave us actually 3" even in the hard rock which has heavier bumper and a warn winch plus a maximus 3 hoop. We chose duratrac 285/70/17 because in a short and light jk the 33 are already pushing it as they are too wide and something bigger do cause issues in ice and snow and wet roads, our daily routine in winter and our cabin in the mountains.

With wide tires and heavier tires and wheel as you are describing, regardless of the lift you choose, i suggest you to also invest in the teraflex forged adjustable front bar. It complement the aev kit very well, eliminates any possibility of death wobble and makes the truck feel solid and steering very responsive. I did test drive my jk with the aev with and without the terafkex bar and i did notice a difference quite a bit. In the 2.5" lift the geometry correction brackets are optional. I am glad i went for it. I read extensive reviews from other owners in the aev forum and they all recommended it. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Check out some Fuel rims, the new Vectors look awesome. They have a bunch of great looking rims IMO.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
I think you'd be happy with either. The geometry correction brackets are the key to a great handling and driving Jeep. With the AEV kit, you are stuck with their Bilstein shocks. For many people, that's not a bad thing... Others think they ride firm. But if you take the Teraflex kit and put on the same AEV geometry brackets and a set of Rancho RS9000X shocks, you have a very nice ride as well. Both quite suitable for your stated use.

The Teraflex will have a little more travel/flex because the Bilstein shocks that AEV supplies are a little shorter than what is typically put on a Teraflex install. Shock length controls how much down travel you get.

I wouldn't go above a 10" wide wheel... But the DUB look isn't my style so pick what you like. :)

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I've researched both these lifts and it seems to me, that the difference will be noticeable if you intend to add a lot of weight (bumpers, armor, winch, etc.) From what I've learned, AEV is better suited for heavy loads, TF is overall better for light loads.

Both lifts would be well suited for a DD. Both are capable for most wheeling, though 'hard core' folks may disagree. I've even done up a cost spreadsheet. Not a lot of difference in that either.

I haven't made up my mind yet either. It's going to depend a lot on my budget - which depends on some things coming to fruition.

Can't help on the choices for wheels, although I can't see any reason for 20" wheels on a Jeep. Just my preference.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Can't comment on wheels as I personally wouldn't go I've 18", but I wouldn't go wider than 10 if I was you.

As far as your lift choice and primarily being a DD, I have never been in an AEV lifted vehicle, but I just put the teraflex 2.5 lift on mine this past weekend with rancho geo correction brackets (same as aev but beefier), 9000xl shocks, and superlift front track bar. I was worried about ruining my ride when shopping for lifts because I was so happy with the stock ride and I really didn't believe anyone when they said their lift improved their ride. I have to say, I am EXTREMELY happy with my lift. I truly believe it rides better. To me it rides smoother and less bouncy but still feels very plush. Every time I drive it I am pretty blown away by the way it drives. The geo correction brackets are supposed to make all the difference and while I didn't drive without them when I put on the lift, the combo of everything makes for a great stable and smooth ride. I run the shocks at 4 up front and 3 in the rear. Great set up! I'm sure you can't go wrong with either lift but thought I'd let you know how my experience has been with teraflex!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought the Teraflex 2.5" kit and added the monster trackbar. I also bought and installed the geometry correction brackets from AEV with the lift, and I am very pleased with the ride of the jeep. I dont have much to compare it to before as I only drove the jeep a few days before I installed the lift. I now has about 800 miles with the lift and no complaints so far. I agree with chgofirefight the 20" fuels look great with a 35" tire.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have been looking hard at rock krawler 2.5" lift w/ lower adj control arm and new front track bar

I saw a jeep recently w the second wheels down, looked sweet I just wonder about corrosion.

Every time I see all black wheels I'm so glad I didn't go that way.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am very happy with the aev in our two jk. We go off-road every weekend but it is mainly over landing, expedition, snowy roads to our cabin in the mountains and very rarely a trail but we are not doing crazy rock crawling. Both jk are also our DD. I test drove jks with aev, with teraflex, with metal cloak. And for our need the aev was the perfect choice as it feels fantastic also as a DD, actually much better thank stock.

We just did the 2.5 which gave us actually 3" even in the hard rock which has heavier bumper and a warn winch plus a maximus 3 hoop. We chose duratrac 285/70/17 because in a short and light jk the 33 are already pushing it as they are too wide and something bigger do cause issues in ice and snow and wet roads, our daily routine in winter and our cabin in the mountains.

With wide tires and heavier tires and wheel as you are describing, regardless of the lift you choose, i suggest you to also invest in the teraflex forged adjustable front bar. It complement the aev kit very well, eliminates any possibility of death wobble and makes the truck feel solid and steering very responsive. I did test drive my jk with the aev with and without the terafkex bar and i did notice a difference quite a bit. In the 2.5" lift the geometry correction brackets are optional. I am glad i went for it. I read extensive reviews from other owners in the aev forum and they all recommended it. Good luck!
UPDATE: someone asked if I had experienced any issue with the rubber in the front axle connection because it stays close to exhaust and the AEV kit does not have exhaust spacers.

I took a picture (lift installed for 6 months) and the rubber is in great shape. not sure if the geometry correction brackets help with that issue. I did not take a measurement but it seems to be 1"~1.5" gap between exhaust and the rubber

This is AEV XL 2.5 with geometry correction brackets...

I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
UPDATE: someone asked if I had experienced any issue with the rubber in the front axle connection because it stays close to exhaust and the AEV kit does not have exhaust spacers.

I took a picture (lift installed for 6 months) and the rubber is in great shape. not sure if the geometry correction brackets help with that issue. I did not take a measurement but it seems to be 1"~1.5" gap between exhaust and the rubber

I hope this helps.
Close friend and fellow WF member here has an AEV 2.5 with geo brackets and just ordered a new driveshaft to be installed next week... Put in the spacers to be safe, they are cheap and a muffler shop can do it in 30 minutes or less if you are worried about doing it yourself.

Here is his stocker:

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I went with AEV 2.5 w/ geo, OME steering stabilizer and JKS track bar and could not be happier with the ride and steering feel. Went AEV on strong recommendation from an installer who does all kinds of lifts and has been in business many years - my intention to put steel front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, winch etc was what steered my installer towards AEV over TF

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts

I hope this helps.
Where the boot gets torn is at extreme articulation and max droop.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Where the boot gets torn is at extreme articulation and max droop.
Since we just do overlanding and expedition, it is highly unlikely I will get to that situation, but if this is an easy and fun mod I might do it... Thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
585 Posts
I went with AEV 2.5 w/ geo, OME steering stabilizer and JKS track bar and could not be happier with the ride and steering feel. Went AEV on strong recommendation from an installer who does all kinds of lifts and has been in business many years - my intention to put steel front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, winch etc was what steered my installer towards AEV over TF
Since you mention the heavier bumpers. In my case there is no difference on the amount of lift (2 1/8" on day one and down to 3" 4-8 weeks later) on our 2013 JK with OEM bumpers and no winch and the JKHR with the heavier HR bumpers + the M-3 hoop + the Warn Zeon 8-S. So for what is worth, the kit is solid on that aspect too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts