Votes: 10 58.8%
  • dynatrac ball joints

Votes: 7 41.2%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to pull the trigger on a new set of ball joints and i would like your opinion on what to go with. i can afford to get the dynatrac, but with the price difference between them, i could also get a set of front lower or rear upper control arms if i got the teraflex! what would you do?

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I went with TeraFlex ball joints when I re-geared, sleeved, and added C-gussets to my front D44. Only time will tell if these do not hold up, my factory ones held up for 6 years and 75k miles, but my wheeling is much harder than those 75k miles. We will see...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with TeraFlex ball joints when I re-geared, sleeved, and added C-gussets to my front D44. Only time will tell if these do not hold up, my factory ones held up for 6 years and 75k miles, but my wheeling is much harder than those 75k miles. We will see...

im lucky to have a set of ball joints last more than 8 months! when i got my new axles with oem ball joints, they lasted one trip to rausch and they were already showing up and down movement. that was one week after they were installed....... i need something beefy thats going to last, because pulling the rcv shafts and pressing ball joints in and out is NOT fun!

·
Super Moderator
5,729 Posts
We have the TeraFlex ball joints. Running 37's for around 40,000 miles and so far no issues (knock on wood).
I am sure either is fine, but I think the TF ball joints are pretty good for the money.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I’ve read more positive reviews on the Teraflex than the Dynatrac ones. I don’t have experience (yet) with either.

I had ordered a set of Rare Parts but they were back ordered so I had to cancel the order (my stock ball joints were way past due) and I ended up with Moog ball joints from local parts stores to get me by until next go round. I plan on going Teraflex when the time comes as like you, it’s a PITA to do ball joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I went with Dynatrac's. I had G2's in the axle because that's what a Core 44 comes with. They lasted about 18 months.

So far, my Dynatrac's have been great and the ability to rebuild them in the Jeep is a huge plus. I really don't want to pull my RCV's again. Tempting fate with the inner axle seals is something I really don't want to do on a regular basis.

I know a lot of people in my area that have done Dynatrac's. Teraflex and Synergy's don't have a great reputation in my area. The Dynatrac's have been holding up in all of the Jeeps I know of here. The only Jeep where they have been rebuild since install is in an Ultra 4 stock class XJ and that's to be expected.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with Dynatrac's. I had G2's in the axle because that's what a Core 44 comes with. They lasted about 18 months.

So far, my Dynatrac's have been great and the ability to rebuild them in the Jeep is a huge plus. I really don't want to pull my RCV's again. Tempting fate with the inner axle seals is something I really don't want to do on a regular basis.

if im not mistaken, dont you still have to pull the shaft to rebuild the upper? kind of hard to unseat the stud from the spindle with the shaft in the way.
thats also why i want a set that will last, because i want to remove that quite stiff rcv boot as little as possible!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
if im not mistaken, dont you still have to pull the shaft to rebuild the upper? kind of hard to unseat the stud from the spindle with the shaft in the way.

thats also why i want a set that will last, because i want to remove that quite stiff rcv boot as little as possible!
I have seen it done without pulling the RCV but not on a JK axle. The knuckle will come off the stud with the axle in place on a Core 44 because I have done it. Now, the spindle comes out the top of the Dynatrac housing so once the knuckle is off, it should pop out of the housing.

I will say that I have not had to actually rebuild mine yet so I don't actually know how hard it is to get out of the housing in a JK but in the XJ, with a D44, it came out with a couple taps on the C once the top of the joint had been removed.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have dynatrac....don't have any experience with TF because I haven't needed to....they are stout...since you're planning on such large tires it's a hard choice....TF has a good following but I think that's mainly due to cost....you'll probably be happy with both but I don't have to adjust my dynatrac's....

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its decided. i went with the teraflex ball joints and with the money i saved over the dynatracs, i ordered a set of metalcloak rear upper control arms to replace the garbage rough country control arms i have there now. i figure even if they do wear out beyond adjustment, its still free replacement with teraflex lifetime warranty on them!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
its decided. i went with the teraflex ball joints and with the money i saved over the dynatracs, i ordered a set of metalcloak rear upper control arms to replace the garbage rough country control arms i have there now. i figure even if they do wear out beyond adjustment, its still free replacement with teraflex lifetime warranty on them!
Let us know how the install goes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts