Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed this new carrier .. I actually found it sort of difficult doing it solo. Installed while watching the TF video on youtube.... The hinges on the carrier were extreamly stiff to open , so after screwing in the two outside bolts took alot of scary force to open it to access the four inside bolts on the new hinge. ..Otherwise its very sturdy carrier and seems to hold the spare extreamly well , will see..

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Great choice! I know you were bummed to have to turn around get one as soon as you did but you've choosen a very good carrier. It will hold up just fine. Many on the board here run 35s and 37s on it. :thumb:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just installed this new carrier .. I actually found it sort of difficult doing it solo. Installed while watching the TF video on youtube.... The hinges on the carrier were extreamly stiff to open , so after screwing in the two outside bolts took alot of scary force to open it to access the four inside bolts on the new hinge. ..Otherwise its very sturdy carrier and seems to hold the spare extreamly well , will see..
I purchased a teraflex HD hinge and adjustable tire carrier on CL. It's definitely a solid carrier. Installing the torx bolts was really nerve wreaking.

I'll install the adjustable tire carrier after I upgrade to 34" tires. Right now I'm wondering if I purchased an older version of the adjustable tire carrier. My piece (the piece the spare bolts onto) has nine (9) holes; My guess is the newer version has w/ 20 holes (for accessories).

image-4246934509.jpg

image-2007818908.jpg

·
Registered
894 Posts
I purchased a teraflex HD hinge and adjustable tire carrier on CL. It's definitely a solid carrier. Installing the torx bolts was really nerve wreaking.

I'll install the adjustable tire carrier after I upgrade to 34" tires. Right now I'm wondering if I purchased an older version of the adjustable tire carrier. My piece (the piece the spare bolts onto) has nine (9) holes; My guess is the newer version has w/ 20 holes (for accessories).

View attachment 2156473

View attachment 2156449
Actually it is the other way around. The 9-hole is the newer one designed to work with the new 3rd brake light holder. The one with 20 holes is older and used the old style 3rd brake light/license plate relocation part. It had 2 posts that went through the 2 unused holes on the rim and through that back plate. That is why the added 8 holes (4x each side) are there. It allowed a 4 point position.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Actually it is the other way around. The 9-hole is the newer one designed to work with the new 3rd brake light holder. The one with 20 holes is older and used the old style 3rd brake light/license plate relocation part. It had 2 posts that went through the 2 unused holes on the rim and through that back plate. That is why the added 8 holes (4x each side) are there. It allowed a 4 point position.
Thanks for that info, Lynsky. The CL ad read like the carrier was relatively new. When I saw it in person the carrier looked as if he wiped it down with a Kleenex before meeting w/me. W/ the person driving on 37" tires w/beadlocks and other serious mods, I knew he put the TFlex hd hinge/carrier to the test.

Like many other forum members, I couldn't justify spending $700 +/- on a new TF, especially when I'm still running my JKUR stock wheels and original MT tires. For the price of the used, however I felt the TF hinge and adjustable tire mount along with the Teraflex Hi Jack Lift accessory and the stand alone CB antenna accessory was good deal, a deal that doesn't often pop up on CL.

To the OP, I don't know if you'll need the adjustable carrier for 35" tire. Like you, I've read he related threads and the jury is still out. For me, I'll definitely feel more at ease driving/off-roading with more weight hanging from my tailgate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi i have 33s with 20" rims .. Whats your thoughts on having to get this for the spare? Everyone that gets any sort of reinforcements seems to run 35s or higher.. Im torn!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi i have 33s with 20" rims .. Whats your thoughts on having to get this for the spare? Everyone that gets any sort of reinforcements seems to run 35s or higher.. Im torn!
Depends on the weight of your spare wheel/tire ..My 33" Trail Grappler is 70lbs , RockStar wheel is 34lbs - 104lbs on stock carrier is damn heavy , better to upgrade the carrier now than the tailgate later...TeraFlex hinged carrier seemed the best option for the money.

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
My Rubicon carries a 35" General Grabber tire that weighs 110+ lbs with the alloy wheel (89lb tire + 22lb wheel), with the TeraFlex hinged carrier. Instead of buying the adapter, I re-use a wheel spacer that was lying around. Works like a charm!

My Sahara carries a 33" Duratrac with the stock hinges; seems to work just fine.

Good luck,

Aldo

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Just installed the Teraflex hinge with adjustable carrier two days ago. Had to make a trip to the hardware store for a T-50 torx bit. The one they included was not able to break loose the stock hexes. No one mentioned the metal brackets that are inside the tailgate and hinge area. I thought for sure that bracket would fall to the bottom when I removed the last stock hex bolt. Puckered me up a bit till I realized they were supported.

My hinge was stiff but not as bad as others have stated. Real beefy unit that holds my 35 snug and with zero movement/rattles. It's a clean light weight option for us that have a lcog build. Satisfied customer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just installed the Teraflex hinge with adjustable carrier two days ago. Had to make a trip to the hardware store for a T-50 torx bit. The one they included was not able to break loose the stock hexes. No one mentioned the metal brackets that are inside the tailgate and hinge area. I thought for sure that bracket would fall to the bottom when I removed the last stock hex bolt. Puckered me up a bit till I realized they were supported. My hinge was stiff but not as bad as others have stated. Real beefy unit that holds my 35 snug and with zero movement/rattles. It's a clean light weight option for us that have a lcog build. Satisfied customer.
Add T-50 Torx bit to the list of tools not sold at Home Depot.

When I installed my T'flex HD last Friday I did not paint the bare metal prior to install. Also, I used blue locktite on the threads. I'm thinking about pulling the carrier back off, painting the metal and reinstalling using RED locktite. Like Lando 76, my JKUR will keep its stock stance (LCOG) for the foreseeable future. Also, It's my DD so I'm trying to keep it light. The only reason I can think of taking the carrier off again is to give the carrier a fresh coat of paint. Not sure how comfortable I'm am taking heat to the near the factory paint on the tailgate. My thought is the red locktite will not only keep the carrier locked to the JK, it'll also deter a a punk from attempting to take the carrier.

Thoughts on RED locktite?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Add T-50 Torx bit to the list of tools not sold at Home Depot. When I installed my T'flex HD last Friday I did not paint the bare metal prior to install. Also, I used blue locktite on the threads. I'm thinking about pulling the carrier back off, painting the metal and reinstalling using RED locktite. Like Lando 76, my JKUR will keep its stock stance (LCOG) for the foreseeable future. Also, It's my DD so I'm trying to keep it light. The only reason I can think of taking the carrier off again is to give the carrier a fresh coat of paint. Not sure how comfortable I'm am taking heat to the near the factory paint on the tailgate. My thought is the red locktite will not only keep the carrier locked to the JK, it'll also deter a a punk from attempting to take the carrier. Thoughts on RED locktite?
I used Blue Locktite also , been a month now no problems , knock on wood

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
@juttsjk ... I have the maximus-3 tire carrier and when initially installed, no Loctite was used. After a day, I noticed a rattle.
I removed the tire and the bolt to the tire hinge mount was loose so I retorqued it to specs.... after a month, rattle came back.
Reread the instructions and it states to use Loctite on that bolt. Added Loctite, and waited 2 days before reinstalling the tire. Hopefully the rattle doesn't come back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
@juttsjk ... I have the maximus-3 tire carrier and when initially installed, no Loctite was used. After a day, I noticed a rattle.
I removed the tire and the bolt to the tire hinge mount was loose so I retorqued it to specs.... after a month, rattle came back.
Reread the instructions and it states to use Loctite on that bolt. Added Loctite, and waited 2 days before reinstalling the tire. Hopefully the rattle doesn't come back.
Got ya. Been 2 days here with no rattle just yet. I'll have to pull the bolts this weekend and add some loctite.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I like it a lot too. I did prime/paint under the original hinges. Price is certainly high for what you get so there has to be a fat margin built in. Would I do it again? Not sure...I'd probably go with a bumper/tire carrier option like the AEV that I had before. That would be a tougher setup. Still, it keeps the tire close to the tailgate and helps the Jeep fit in the garage better.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I could maybe see the price if the hinged part is milled out of billet. I'm sure it's just cast. I think the adjustable part is way over priced for how much steel is used. But I agree it's a nice set up. I bought mine because I've always liked the look of the tire on the tail gate. It also seems like most carriers end up making noise over time. I guess they have to make their margins somewhere. Aev certainly does with their gear.

·
Super Moderator
22,066 Posts
I have had mine for 50,000 miles and would buy another in a hearbeat if something happened to this one. some buddies have AEV bumpers/carriers and no comparison in how solid this is compared to theirs. I like the aev bumpers but would rather have this then the aev tire mount. I like that it wont allow my tail gate to swing open too far if parked on an incline as well. I have long forgotten the cost as I am 100% happy with it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts