Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm stuck

Looking and stuck between two setups

Rock krawler flex setup

Teraflex kit w/o shocks
Teraflex track bar
Alpine lca's

Both kits I would use rancho 5000, I am 95% on the road and I enjoy the ride of the rubicon right now. I have a 2017 jku and want to do a 2.5 inch lift right and eventually do 35's as I have 33 right now. So which one and why, I just want the best kit I can get and enjoy for years to come, I also don't want a really stiff ride as this is my dd. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you haven't watched this video then please do!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUSrjamaJE

As for my part, I have the teraflex 2.5 with he 5500 shocks that came with the kit, its a complete kit and you don't really need anything more then what it comes with, I have had this lift since 2014 with no issues and I'm running 35 12.5 18 tires.

The lift it self gives more then 2.5 of lift and as it breaks in it settles to a true 2.5

For the 3 years I have been using this lift I can not say any thing bad about it, other then the shocks them selfs are starting to have surface rust that's about it.

with the teraflex my axles did go out of center and I did buy the teraflex MONSTER track bars front and back and the few reasons I went with the teraflex monster track bars was how beefy they are and to be able to center and adjust the axles with out taking the track bars out was a big + my front track bar I bought it used for a killer deal of $100 Canadian but the rear I had to buy it new for about $300 Canadian I do not regret the track bars nore the lift it self

good luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
I chose the Teraflex S/T3 over the RK X-Factor just because of delivery timing. The TF arms are fixed length and require no adjustment. And coupled with the Fox reservoir shocks, it rides well on the road. Haven't had an opportunity to get off road yet, so can't comment on off road performance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a shop talk me into the Teraflex 2.5" with 9550 shocks on a 2013 2 door sport, yes my fault for letting them talk me into it. I was leaning towards the Rock Krawler and wish I had gone that route. I do 95% on road with the 2 door probably ended up with 3" of lift. The ride is worse than stock. I feel cracks more and going over deeper ruts or pot wholes are jarring. The nose dive is no longer there and lean is better. I thought I would give a different perspective.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I chose the Teraflex S/T3 over the RK X-Factor just because of delivery timing. The TF arms are fixed length and require no adjustment. And coupled with the Fox reservoir shocks, it rides well on the road. Haven't had an opportunity to get off road yet, so can't comment on off road performance.
. On a list of pros and cons for lift kits, delivery and timing were not even considerations for me. Was there a giant rock in your driveway and you couldn't get home unesss it was installed immediately?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Northridge4x4 usually stocks RK so delivery time should be the same. I have had RK 1.5", 2.5" and 2.5/3.5" and TF 1.5" and all rode equal well on and offroad.. For me I give the nod in customer service to TF as I have found their CS the best in the biz. I recently bought a new jkr and was leaning hard towards the TFS/T3 kit but in the end I went with an AEV lift and I have become a big fan.

·
Registered
78 Posts
. On a list of pros and cons for lift kits, delivery and timing were not even considerations for me. Was there a giant rock in your driveway and you couldn't get home unesss it was installed immediately?
Not sure I understand the "rock" comment. After placing my order, I waited over a month and was told it would be another month at least due to some component on back order, so I went with the Teraflex, which I had originally decided to go with. And I along with a couple other friends installed the lift ourselves. No need to pay somebody for something we could do ourselves.

So not sure where your reply was targeted, but am completely happy with my choice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a shop talk me into the Teraflex 2.5" with 9550 shocks on a 2013 2 door sport, yes my fault for letting them talk me into it. I was leaning towards the Rock Krawler and wish I had gone that route. I do 95% on road with the 2 door probably ended up with 3" of lift. The ride is worse than stock. I feel cracks more and going over deeper ruts or pot wholes are jarring. The nose dive is no longer there and lean is better. I thought I would give a different perspective.
just a question what PSI are you running your tires at? and how big are your tires?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not sure I understand the "rock" comment. After placing my order, I waited over a month and was told it would be another month at least due to some component on back order, so I went with the Teraflex, which I had originally decided to go with. And I along with a couple other friends installed the lift ourselves. No need to pay somebody for something we could do ourselves.

So not sure where your reply was targeted, but am completely happy with my choice.
Sorry, your post made it seem like they could get it to you faster, and that's why you bought it. Could be my dumb interpretation. And by rock, I mean rock, or boulder. Or a huge hunk of granite or cobblestone sitting in your driveway :)

I am a big fan of terraflex. Not dogging your lift. Just that when I made a list of things important for a lift... ride onroad , ride offroad , dependability, warranty , geometry, price and the. Way way way at the bottom was when they can get it to me. I ordered a RK lift and had it on my porch 2 days later from Krawl offroad. If they told me a month.... I would have went Metalcloak or Teraflex.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry, your post made it seem like they could get it to you faster, and that's why you bought it. Could be my dumb interpretation. And by rock, I mean rock, or boulder. Or a huge hunk of granite or cobblestone sitting in your driveway :)

I am a big fan of terraflex. Not dogging your lift. Just that when I made a list of things important for a lift... ride onroad , ride offroad , dependability, warranty , geometry, price and the. Way way way at the bottom was when they can get it to me. I ordered a RK lift and had it on my porch 2 days later from Krawl offroad. If they told me a month.... I would have went Metalcloak or Teraflex.
The extra week's wait was bad enough. If I could have picked something up locally other than Pro Comp, I would have at least looked at it. But I still wasn't willing to pay somebody locally to install it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just picked up the Teraflex CT3 with Falcon 3.3 shocks. It's not installed yet but I expect it to drive very well. With that said, the Rock Krawler kit is excellent as well. I don't really think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have the RK 2.5 Flex and it seems high quality and after 50k miles is still tight (bilstein 5100's). As has been said, I think either kit will do you good.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Only have had the RK kit for a week or so, but with the rancho 9,000 it's a nice ride for sure

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
The 2 month wait on RK is odd. Not sure what was up there but I have a feeling that had something more to do with the vendor. We stock RK and ship USUALLY same day. There is the odd chance that it is about a week out but that is about it. We can usually have the TF stuff shipped same day as well. Right now though, the ST3 is out a bit. We can do MC but they are about 4ish weeks always...

BUT, with that being said, OP, what are your future plans for the Jeep? If your going to add weight (bumpers, winch) things like that, the RK with the Triple Rate coil is a good option. Both ride great and with a good shock (that is part of the ride combo) would ride as good or better than stock. Also the lift has to be installed right with a alignment for this to work as well.

If we can help, please let us know. We do a TON of RK and TF and would be more than happy to help point you in the right direction.

-Jason

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have a pieced together Rock Krawler setup on my 2015 JKR. My jeep is 90% or more highway (70mph). When I do go offroad, I let my tires down to 25psi for rough forest service roads and 15psi for rocks. The best part of my lift is the rancho 9xxx adjustable shocks. Last trip I turned the shocks down to 3 all around and it made a huge difference on the mountain roads along with the tire pressure. I encouraged my neighbor to get the same shocks for his 2016 JKU, but he got the teraflex shocks. He went on the mountain ride, and he commented on how rough it was.

Normal driving around mountain roads:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Intresting.
I was between the Teraflex "Most Popular" kit and the RK Flex and my local shop talked me out of the teraflex. Though I still have another month till I get it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've been running the RK 3.5 xfactor. It articulates awesome. I never had the rusting issues like others. But my springs have collapsed horribly. I probably have 30k miles on the suspension system.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'd rather stick with components made in the USA versus China...RK would be my choice between the two. Have run both companies kits in the past.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts