Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my lift kit search down to teraflex vs RK. I want 3-3.5 inches lift for my 2017 2 door 6 spd big bear 3.73. I want the basic lift w/ upgrades including billstein 5100 shocks, extended lines, new front track bar, front lowers and rear uppers. I am leaning towards teraflex but RK looks sexy too. This is my first jeep and first build so comments and pics are much appreciated. Will be my DD and palm tree farm toy/ride, as well as kayak hauler and city boy intimidator.

When it comes to tools and parts, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
What size tires?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure how to respond to a specific comment but why you sorry to hear that? What do you have, rough country? And 35 inch tires, most likely bfg k2s

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
35s on a two door only needs 2.5. I run Rock Krawler X Factor 2.5 with 37s. Bigger isn't always better with lifting a Jeep - the higher you go, the more it throws the driveline and steering geometry off. So then you have to throw more money at it to try to compensate. A two door wheelbase only needs to lift enough to clear the tires at full flex. If you want the "look" of more lift without all the potential mechanical issues - add flat fenders to that 2.5, it opens up the wheel well and makes the lift look bigger than it is, with zero potential driveline and steering issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Good luck.
If you have any information on experience with these two lifts, that would be more helpful to the OP. Appears you are against one or both of them - why not share your opinion and specifics about each of the kits so that the OP gets more input to help make their decision.

Reactions: tdashrom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, you caught me I do like the look of the bigger lift. What backspace rims did you use on the RK 2.5 x factor? And do you have any clearance issues when articulating and flexing with 37s? Finally, do you run bumpers or extra weight and does that cause the coils to sag any?

·
Registered
586 Posts

That's my JK with RK 2.5" springs, aftermarket bumpers front and back, winch in the front too. Flat metal fenders and LT 315/70-17 Cooper MTP tires.

I replaced the TF springs on our JKU with RK's also. The TF's just seemed too wallowy feeling. The RK's are firmer.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you have any information on experience with these two lifts, that would be more helpful to the OP. Appears you are against one or both of them - why not share your opinion and specifics about each of the kits so that the OP gets more input to help make their decision.
If I remember from another thread they were running a Mopar lift and was not a fan of the RK. Guess its safe to say not a fan of the Teraflex either.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have narrowed my lift kit search down to teraflex vs RK. I want 3-3.5 inches lift for my 2017 2 door 6 spd big bear 3.73. I want the basic lift w/ upgrades including billstein 5100 shocks, extended lines, new front track bar, front lowers and rear uppers. I am leaning towards teraflex but RK looks sexy too. This is my first jeep and first build so comments and pics are much appreciated. Will be my DD and palm tree farm toy/ride, as well as kayak hauler and city boy intimidator.

When it comes to tools and parts, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Not sure what your time frame will be, But I will be having the 2.5" RK Flex installed on 7/7. The Flex includes all the parts you were mentioning except for the rear uppers. I am also going with the Blistein 5100's. I'm sure I'll be taking plenty of pics afterwards. Won't have new tires in place yet so pics will be with the stock shoes though, which might be more helpful to you.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm running RK 2.5" Flex with Rancho 9000xl. I am extremely happy with it. Rides great and no issues. I highly recommend it. From what I heard, TF springs sag over time expecially once you add more weight to the Jeep. Spend a few extra bucks on the RK lift and don't look back. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
IMO 3.5" is too tall for a 2 door...center of gravity, tipping...all that fun stuff. That being said, I don't know much about the RK kit other than I've read very mixed reviews on forums...some love it others hate it. I've never read anything bad about Terraflex, and I am currently between AEV, Terraflex, and Mopar for my 4 door lift. I had AEV 2.5 on my last JKU and it was better than stock on pavement and performed well on moderate trails here in Colorado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
The Teraflex springs are designed with extra height in them to give you the specified amount of lift after you add weight. Before adding weight, you will typically get about an extra inch of lift. As people add weight after lifting, the Jeep loses height and people tend to think the springs have sagged when they have actually just compressed. Of course, I'm not saying this is always the case as some manufacturer's springs are very well known to sag over time.

For example, my friend's wife has a 2.5" TF lift on her very light JK that gives within half an inch of my 4" TF long arm on my very heavy, armored up JKR. My springs haven't sagged. They just have a lot of weight compressing them. The 2.5" lift on her Jeep is giving her about 3.5" of lift since it is so light.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Thanks for the input, you caught me I do like the look of the bigger lift. What backspace rims did you use on the RK 2.5 x factor? And do you have any clearance issues when articulating and flexing with 37s? Finally, do you run bumpers or extra weight and does that cause the coils to sag any?
4.25 backspace. I run lightweight aluminum frame chop bumpers for rock crawling clearance - both of them combined shipped at combined weight of less than 70 pounds lol. For now I have chopped stock fenders, but will most likely do GenRight Rear fender delete (I have rear corner armor) and MetalCloak tube overline in front without the flare (aka basically a tube rub rail). I keep my spare ratcheted in cargo - keeps the weight low for better center of gravity (removed my back seat as it was useless anyhow lol).

I do not have any clearance issues. My only very slight rub (aka graze the stickers or paint off not "omg gouge metal") is front lower control arm at absolute full lock. You will always rub somewhere - frame, body, control arm etc. Grazing the control arm is the best solution - they are beefy and can take a rubbing. That said - Nitto Trail Grapplers run wide. The 12.5 is closer to 13.4ish. I will not run wheel spacers or limit my steering stops for just for a little rub.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
The benefit of a lift like X Factor with all adjustable arms is it pushes the rear axle back an inch or so - to center big tires in rear wheel well. You can always tell in pictures of Jeeps with big tires if folks used a lift that didn't do this as rear wheels won't be centered in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I was deciding between RK and TF as well. I went with 2.5" TF. Im a bit odd as I dont like to mix brands. I knew I wanted to replace the control arms when I did the lift, so when the thread came out about the RK arms having paint issues (could be minor) and how they were all but non-responsive to communication requests I chose TF. Plus I liked what I read about the TF Alpine Arms. Customer service with TF has been top notch.

I netted out about 3-3.5" on a light JKUR (alum bumpers, oil/trans skid). Im running 35s (315/70s actually) and LOVE the look.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
If they're deciding between RK or TF in regards to lifts, then they likely haven't done enough research, outside of looking at marketing info because they're both very good at providing marketing info. Like I said, I wish them the best of luck.

If the OP would like further background info, then they are welcome to send me a PM and I will share some information for them to read. Too many TF and RK fanboys on this forum and I'm not here to throw raw meat into those waters to start their shark feeding frenzy.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
If they're deciding between RK or TF in regards to lifts, then they likely haven't done enough research, outside of looking at marketing info because they're both very good at providing marketing info. Like I said, I wish them the best of luck.

If the OP would like further background info, then they are welcome to send me a PM and I will share some information for them to read. Too many TF and RK fanboys on this forum and I'm not here to throw raw meat into those waters to start their shark feeding frenzy.
Well this is a public forum. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is possible to disagree with an opinion but still respect the poster.

·
Registered
729 Posts
2 years with Teraflex and my lift is garbage lol
Spring have sagged so bad I'm running a 1 inch spacer on top, shocks are all blown and the kit is rusted so bad it looks like it's been on for over 10 years
Tried talking to Teraflex about it and they just started to ignore/not answer my questions
A good friend runs TF on his TJ and has had the same experience with their customer service. Friendly when you first start talking but once you come out with a problem, you don't exist anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,386 Posts
TF and RK are both great lifts. Depending on your use, you might lean one way or the other. RK has better high misalignment joints on control arms, and TF uses a clevite bushing like stock which is often preferred for NVH.

For 35's and factory fenders, consider the TF 3" kit with a set of their Alpine front lower control arms. That's about as big as I would go on a 2dr.

I'm planning for a 2dr on 35's with a 1.5" lift and flats... I believe it will do everything I want it to do and look the part while doing it.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts