Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thumbing through the box on my new 2.5" Lift. On top of the box it has a note that says; "if using stock rims, spacers must be used" My question is, im not upgrading the tires yet, so this note doesnt apply right? Or do I need the new backspacing even with stock wheels?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Just installed this a while back. If you use stock rims, the rear tire is reeeaal close to the extended sway bar links. You can get wheel spacers or new rims with less backspace, I went 4.5". For short term you can mount the extended rear links on the inside instead of the outside, but it will clank sometimes if your axle is articulated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,554 Posts
It supposedly does apply to you, unfortunately. Apparently, the new sway bar links in the rear will be installed in such a way as they or their bolts will rub stock tires on wheels with 6.25" of backspacing. Spacers or lower backspacing is required to push the tires away from the links. I have aftermarket wheels, so I can't actually attest to this, but that's what I've heard.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,757 Posts
pkmcd99 said:
Just thumbing through the box on my new 2.5" Lift. On top of the box it has a note that says; "if using stock rims, spacers must be used" My question is, im not upgrading the tires yet, so this note doesnt apply right? Or do I need the new backspacing even with stock wheels?
Yep.... There is a very slim chance you don't need them. Stay on road, any flex you will be in trouble :(
Look at your rear swaybar links. See how close they run to the stock wheel?

Now add 2".

options are -
1) buy spacers
2) keep the stock links in the back.
3) wing it and hope for the best :D
4) new wheels :thumb:

I had spacers going in. Can't say if I needed them or not.

Good luck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
311 Posts
Just installed this a while back. If you use stock rims, the rear tire is reeeaal close to the extended sway bar links. You can get wheel spacers or new rims with less backspace, I went 4.5". For short term you can mount the extended rear links on the inside instead of the outside, but it will clank sometimes if your axle is articulated.
So i got wheels already, 32's with no lift. I got a Teraflex 2.5 with shocks coming soon, I don't need any spacers do I?!:hide:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,554 Posts
So i got wheels already, 32's with no lift. I got a Teraflex 2.5 with shocks coming soon, I don't need any spacers do I?!:hide:
Depends on the backspacing of your current wheels. If, like most aftermarket wheels, they have significantly lower backspacing than the stockers than nope, you don't need spacers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Actually mounting the rear sway bar links on the inside was a great idea, my wife couldn't stand the clank and questioned if it was safe. Hence I got new rims, a real win-win.
 

·
Insert something witty...
Joined
·
596 Posts
I needed them for mine. Sold them to kjeeper10. He is using them as was said above. Perhaps you can talk Kj into upgrading his wheels/tires and buy his. We could make them communal spacers, used by WF members waiting for their opportunity to upgrade wheels. :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,757 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ShaunWV said:
I needed them for mine. Sold them to kjeeper10. He is using them as was said above. Perhaps you can talk Kj into upgrading his wheels/tires and buy his. We could make them communal spacers, used by WF members waiting for their opportunity to upgrade wheels. :)
:fingers crossed:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive also noticed my coil kit includes the "optional" axle rear track bar mount not the frame mount as shown in the picture. Is this something new? Or do I still need the frame mount rear track nar mount also?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,757 Posts
pkmcd99 said:
Ive also noticed my coil kit includes the "optional" axle rear track bar mount not the frame mount as shown in the picture. Is this something new? Or do I still need the frame mount rear track nar mount also?
That was discussed yesterday.

I got the frame mount.
My kit came with the shock extensions.
ESP's came with TF shocks and included was the axle mount.

You are fine regardless :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kjeeper10 said:
That was discussed yesterday.

I got the frame mount.
My kit came with the shock extensions.
ESP's came with TF shocks and included was the axle mount.

You are fine regardless :)
I also got the shock kit. Ok, now for my wheel dilema....I wonder if the wife will notice Four American Racing Baja rims on the card???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
themoneypit said:
Tell her the shocks come from Russia and that's what shipping costs.
Maybe with shipping costs from Russia, I can squeeze in my 285 Dick Cepecs....:holding breath:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Wow you guys really ruined my plans. I was going to order the Teraflex 2.5" lift tomorrow. I was going to run the stock rims, until I could upgrade wheels and tires. I don't want to buy spacers. My BFG MT's still have some life in them. I want to go 15" or 16" so new wheels and tires. Guess now I'll have to wait. Thanks for the information guys.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top