Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this one section in my stomping grounds that is fairly steep sandy hill. About half way up, I start to bog down a little bit and then this awful chattering starts, like I am tearing my baby apart! I would compare it to wheel hop, but I don't have leaf springs.

1. What is happening?

2. How bad is it for the Jeep?

'12 Rubicon.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The wheel hop is caused by the vehicle alternately loosing, then gaining traction. It is a common phenomenon when driving in sand. It may also be part of the traction control system trying to keep up. Make sure you have your tires sufficiently aired down (I recommend 12-15 PSI) and try climbing the same hill in low range. Using low will limit the traction controls efforts (it will retain the EBLD).

Mike

·
Registered
873 Posts
Now that's some damn good brakes and traction!
:hijacked:

That's a Cougar/JERV...well, one of the family anyway. The four wheelers we use have a shorter wheel base. That length is usually a six wheeler...except for the variant we sell/give the Iraqis.

That's not the only problem they have. At least the earlier versions had "pig iron" for their front suspension hangers...they broke...often...and without a welder and some spares there's not a thing you can do, really. It gets a bit better, though. The six wheel versions don't like speeds above 40-45 mph. It might be the lack of diff between the two rear axles, but they tend to eat themselves...which is equally hard to fix in a hurry.

Now, the MaxxPro is an evil beast and wickedly uncomfortable, but it does tend to hand highway speeds well. Of course, with it's whopping 1.5 inches of suspension travel in compression, the ride is brutal.

The Buffalo still wins, in my book, for comfort and high speed capability, though the 4-wheeled Cougar is pretty solid.

:hijacked:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This problem happens in 4LO... so, traction control is already off. And strangely enough, it only happens at this one particular spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts