Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we were thinking about getting a new 4 dr and went for a test drive. its been awhile sinse i had a jeep and the last one i have ever been in was a friends tj from a few years back and it was readily good on acceleration. the new one was horrible. what are you guys doing to make it more powerful? does a chip and cold air make a great difference? still havent canceled it out, but the lack in power is scaring me away from it. i love the jeep though.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Thanks. Let us know what you drive so we can flame it too.

Unless your friend's TJ had a supercharger or something, the Jeep you were in yesterday will in fact accelerate better.

I understand the onboard computer keeps new Jeeps in a "break in" period for the first couple of hundred miles, which may have been part of the problem. Also, if you were driving an auto transmission, yes, there are aftermarket chips that make a big difference. Air intakes don't do much, though I have one and like it.

The Wrangler isn't a race car, however. The 2012 will be getting a more powerful engine if it's important to you.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Mine is faster downhill.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks. Let us know what you drive so we can flame it too.

Unless your friend's TJ had a supercharger or something, the Jeep you were in yesterday will in fact accelerate better.

I understand the onboard computer keeps new Jeeps in a "break in" period for the first couple of hundred miles, which may have been part of the problem. Also, if you were driving an auto transmission, yes, there are aftermarket chips that make a big difference. Air intakes don't do much, though I have one and like it.

The Wrangler isn't a race car, however. The 2012 will be getting a more powerful engine if it's important to you.
Well, he said it was a 4 door, so the TJ was definately faster.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
Well, he said it was a 4 door, so the TJ was definately faster.
the 3.8 tests at 3 tenths of a second faster to 60 (which would be a good half a second in a 1/4 mile) than the 4.0 in a 2 door vs. 2 door test, i'd bet the jku is just about even with the 4.0. but, who the hell drag races a stock jeep anyway? :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
the 3.8 tests at 3 tenths of a second faster to 60 (which would be a good half a second in a 1/4 mile) than the 4.0 in a 2 door vs. 2 door test, i'd bet the jku is just about even with the 4.0. but, who the hell drag races a stock jeep anyway? :D
Well considering that the JKU is 4200 lbs, and the TJ is 3200 with the 4.0, I'd say the TJ still wins. But you're right, it's pretty much a moot point. It's a jeep!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
And the 4 door and 2 door are closer in weight than a lot of people think. According to Yahoo Autos, the curb weight of a 2011 Rubi 4 door is 4315, whereas the 2 door is 4104. That's 211 pounds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whenever i have a small race with the TJ im always the winner, either its manual or autamatic, with a CAI or a chip, it doesnt matter im always in front : )
Actually i have a quiet good acceleration in my JK untill 145 Km/h(90 m/h) when things start to get slow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow, I was going to post on this today myself! I have just turned 280 miles on my '11 JKU and the only negative comment I have to say about it was it's acceleration. I in know way race it, but damn, I dont even like entering an intersection from a stop. I was going to post to see if it may have just been a problem with mine but this may lead me to believe that it is a bigger issue. I wouldn't blame you about thinking twice Rhino unless someone has a fix.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
And the 4 door and 2 door are closer in weight than a lot of people think. According to Yahoo Autos, the curb weight of a 2011 Rubi 4 door is 4315, whereas the 2 door is 4104. That's 211 pounds.
Yahoo Autos is wrong with their curb weights. A 4 door Rubi is 4800 lbs, almost 800 lbs more than a 2 door Rubi. We weighed them on a CAT scale to see for ourselves.

As for the performance issue, cold air intakes, cat back exaust, and computer chips do very little to improve performance. The best performance improvement comes from re-gearing the differentials. For an automatic with stock 32" tires, 4.56 gears are good. For 33" tires, 4.88 gears. For 35" tires, 5.13 to 5.38 gears, depending on whether you live in the flatlands or the mountains.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
MOPWR2U said:
Yahoo Autos is wrong with their curb weights. A 4 door Rubi is 4800 lbs, almost 800 lbs more than a 2 door Rubi. We weighed them on a CAT scale to see for ourselves.

As for the performance issue, cold air intakes, cat back exaust, and computer chips do very little to improve performance. The best performance improvement comes from re-gearing the differentials. For an automatic with stock 32" tires, 4.56 gears are good. For 33" tires, 4.88 gears. For 35" tires, 5.13 to 5.38 gears, depending on whether you live in the flatlands or the mountains.
Always good to have firsthand input. You say you weighed a 4 door Rubi--did you also weigh a 2 door Rubi?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.