Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was nice but not blow my socks off nice. Really biggest negative/peeve was wind noise. ride was smooth but you expect that with the street tires it came with but not really any smoother than my Recon. I did not really notice the steering wondering issue some talk about. seems like it might have accelerated better but some of that could be the tires and some the 8speed. I have nice leather seats but the cloth sport S seats are not bad by any stretch and seating position for me is really good. The model I drove did not have the cold weather package which I am kind of spoiled by heated seats and wanted to see how the heated steering wheel felt. Stereo sounded good but I have a tin ear so an old 12V am radio sounds fine to me.

Biggest like was the look of the dashboard it just looks really nice to me. biggest dislike the wind noise.

·
Registered
2021 wrangler Sahara Unlimited. Fully loaded , cold weather package, tow package, One touch Sky top
128 Posts
I don't hear any wind noise in any vehicles including motorcycle. I just turn my hearing aids to MUTE. Also works great for other reasons too.

·
Retired Moderator
100,686 Posts
It was nice but not blow my socks off nice. Really biggest negative/peeve was wind noise. ride was smooth but you expect that with the street tires it came with but not really any smoother than my Recon. I did not really notice the steering wondering issue some talk about. seems like it might have accelerated better but some of that could be the tires and some the 8speed. I have nice leather seats but the cloth sport S seats are not bad by any stretch and seating position for me is really good. The model I drove did not have the cold weather package which I am kind of spoiled by heated seats and wanted to see how the heated steering wheel felt. Stereo sounded good but I have a tin ear so an old 12V am radio sounds fine to me.

Biggest like was the look of the dashboard it just looks really nice to me. biggest dislike the wind noise.
Hmmm...soon..LOL Christmas present for Jeff!

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Since you have a Rubicon, try a JTR.

I was going to get a Sport, but by the time you upgraded tires, rock rails, etc... you were pretty much at Rubicon pricing.

I test drove a number of JTs and it seemed like the ones with the premium soft top had less interior noise

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Wind noise wasn't bad at all on my JT until I put the aftermarket bumper on it and destroyed the factory aero package. Now it's as loud as a cage full of cats once I get past 65 MPH.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wind noise wasn't bad at all on my JT until I put the aftermarket bumper on it and destroyed the factory aero package. Now it's as loud as a cage full of cats once I get past 65 MPH.
yikes not want I want to hear no pun intended. I am actually headed to the worlds largest CDRJ dealership with a buddy in the morning as he is trading his vette in on a grand Cherokee and his Duramax on RAM 2500. I will take some more JT's for test drives while he is doing the paperwork.

Reactions: Blue Baby Sound

·
Super Moderator
10,657 Posts
There seem to be significantly fewer complaints about the vague steering on JTs than JLs. Perhaps the longer wheelbase helps keep the JT going straight.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So today while my buddy was signing papers I test drove a decked out Overland and a pretty decked out Rubicon. Again both were very nice but blind folded I would not have been able to tell the difference between the Sport S, Overland or Rubicon. As nice as they were not really feeling the need to trade, which is really odd for me as I like to trade often and love new technology in vehicles. I have to say if you have not been to Dave Smith Kellog Id you don't know what a well run dealership is. they have 106 car salespeople and it is like the New York stock exchange. They have over 70 Gladiators and sold 3 in the first 20 minutes I was there. I will say 0 pressure. I asked to take a test drive the salesman asked if was wanting to buy and I said no just curious and he was like pick the ones you want to take. Got done and he handed me a card and said if decided I wanted to look at more just give him a call.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They had some sports with small lifts and tires actually looked pretty good.

Reactions: WillB and Digger70

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure why I did not take this bad boy for a test drive.

·
Super Moderator
10,657 Posts
For someone who’s not buying a JT you sure seem intent on someone else buying one... :D

Personally, after driving a Tacoma I missed so much the maneuverability of a Wrangler, and the convenience of an enclosed cargo space, that I didn’t even give Gladiator, with a extra 2.5 feet in length and limited enclosed cargo space, much consideration.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For someone who’s not buying a JT you sure seem intent on someone else buying one... :D

Personally, after driving a Tacoma I missed so much the maneuverability of a Wrangler, and the convenience of an enclosed cargo space, that I didn’t even give Gladiator, with a extra 2.5 feet in length and limited enclosed cargo space, much consideration.
hey when you are the biggest CDJR dealership in the world with nothing else to do while you waiting for your buddy to buy two new vehicles you have to do something to pass the time. :).

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I test drove a decked out Overland and a pretty decked out Rubicon. Again both were very nice but blind folded I would not have been able to tell the difference between the Sport S, Overland or Rubicon.
This is what I've been wondering. I've seen some pretty good looking JTs in the area. I've got a JKUHR and with the prices the way they are I'm not sure I can afford a similarly equipped top level trim if I traded up(?) for the Gladiator. We're talking a $12K+ MSRP price difference. And I couldn't get the Cold Weather Package with the Auto. Now that's stupid.

Thanks for the reviews.

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
They is dumb. Should have that and a heated shift knob, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is what I've been wondering. I've seen some pretty good looking JTs in the area. I've got a JKUHR and with the prices the way they are I'm not sure I can afford a similarly equipped top level trim if I traded up(?) for the Gladiator. We're talking a $12K+ MSRP price difference. And I couldn't get the Cold Weather Package with the Auto. Now that's stupid.

Thanks for the reviews.
wait until they give a trade offer. I have a loaded 2018 recon that msrp at $50310 and has lots of quality upgrades and lowest trade offer I got was $30000 and highest was $36ish. these were on JT's that were knocked down $1500 under msrp.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
wait until they give a trade offer. I have a loaded 2018 recon that msrp at $50310 and has lots of quality upgrades and lowest trade offer I got was $30000 and highest was $36ish. these were on JT's that were knocked down $1500 under msrp.
So are you saying the trades are way undervalue or they give more to push the JT's off the lot? I'm guessing the first if they only offering 30k for your 18 Recon but I try to never make assumptions anymore. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So are you saying the trades are way undervalue or they give more to push the JT's off the lot? I'm guessing the first if they only offering 30k for your 18 Recon but I try to never make assumptions anymore. Thanks!
i think $30K for a 2 year old Recon that msrped for over $50K is pretty bad, heck I was not willing to do it for 36K. I would have for 38K and is what I was expecting based on my last 3 JK transactions.

·
Super Moderator
10,657 Posts
i think $30K for a 2 year old Recon that msrped for over $50K is pretty bad, heck I was not willing to do it for 36K. I would have for 38K and is what I was expecting based on my last 3 JK transactions.
That was my experience as well when I traded my 2018 JKUR Recon with 8,400 miles for a new 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road with a $41,200 MSRP. Toyota had a $1,000 consumer rebate; that was it.

The dealer came back with a $35,000 trade-in for my Recon. I said “Look, I am here to buy a truck not to play games. Let’s do a straight swap: you take the Jeep and you pay for the sales tax, the new vehicle registration, doc fees and anything else. I don’t want to pay one penny out of my pocket.” The sales manager looks at me and says “If I get you this, do we have a deal?” I said yes; he went for it.

The bill of sale showed a straight swap at $37,000, OTD. Don’t ask me how they did it...I haven’t got a clue.

Tacomas are selling like hot cakes and yet, Toyota dealers are still willing to discount heavily to get one more sale.

Perhaps that what it takes to buy a JT? I don’t think they are selling that well...

·
Registered
341 Posts
There seem to be significantly fewer complaints about the vague steering on JTs than JLs. Perhaps the longer wheelbase helps keep the JT going straight.

Please...all of you considering the JT....first, google Jeep Wrangler JT gladiator recalls.

NHTSA for the 2020 JT already has over 30 complaints...most if not all on steering. They have fixed nothing on these vehicles. Second post I've made today to this effect. They simply found a better way to mask it and make it appear later in ownership. Buyer. Be. Aware.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Please...all of you considering the JT....first, google Jeep Wrangler JT gladiator recalls.

NHTSA for the 2020 JT already has over 30 complaints...most if not all on steering. They have fixed nothing on these vehicles. Second post I've made today to this effect. They simply found a better way to mask it and make it appear later in ownership. Buyer. Be. Aware.
Sheesh...give your repetitive fearmongering a rest. There has only been one recall affecting about 3400 Gladiators, and it did not involve steering. I've had my Gladiator for over 4 months and have had zero issues. I know several other folks with Gladiators who also have had no issues and who are loving their JTs. The Gladiator has been, by far, the most utilitarian and enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. On the 120-mile drive home from the dealer, I thought the steering might be an issue since it had a tendency to wander. Then I discovered the dealer had crammed 50 pounds into all the tires. Once I lowered the pressure to a reasonable level, it rides and handles better than any Jeep I've driven.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts