Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 8 months ago I tested the Dorman Ford Explorer fan for the jeep TJ. The fan was worse at cooling the jeep 4.0 than the stock fan.

Before I go any further it must be said. I am not trying to cool the jeep below 210. Areas that I travel are well in excess of 100 degrees sometimes 110. When the jeep would idle the engine temp would start to creep. The point of trying and testing this fan out is simple to ensure the jeep maintains the 210 operating temp in all conditions. Also it would be nice to have the AC blow even colder on those really hot days.

Now that we have that out of the way, in the video below I test the real ford 11 blade fan on the jeep 4.0 and attempted to get some data from each fan in order to see if the upgrade is worth it or not. This fan that I used is the 11 blade fan, at the time I picked it up for $50 and the fan clutch was $40.

One thing to note, the ford fan clutch engages and disengages much faster than the stock jeep fan clutch. I also find that the ford fan clutch is also many times more sensitive to temp changes. Ive noticed that on colder days I do not hear the fan at all and the jeep is more peppy than before, no doubt because the fan is clutch is disengaged. Here is the video of my testing method. I am still working on a long term test of the fan setup.

All the part numbers are in the description of the video.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That bit of info is interesting and I did not know this. It is interesting though because this fans blade design is completely different than the 10 blade fan. So, maybe what you've posted has something to do with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mark, thanks for the video.
I have been using the 11 blade for a couple of years both in Colorado and in Baja.
Here are some of my comments and observations.
First of all the stock TJ does not need this mod the engineers have the design correct and even at temps way over 100F the TJ engine should never overheat due to lack of airflow. My reason for the mod is that I have a big trans cooler in front of the radiator and I wanted to have lots of airflow trans temp control. However, I am not satisfied I have accomplished my goal.
My parts: Motorcraft F87A-8600EA (YA220) Fan and Hayden 2794 clutch.
I chose these parts based on the recommendations of the radiator guy on the Jeep Forum thread. (BTW, the early Bronco guys that use this mod are happy with the result mainly due to big motor swaps and way too small radiator).
How it works: The engine never overheats under any conditions as expected. The trans still gets hot and I have to use the cooler fan to keep trans temps under control. So I have adapted and all is well. However, I am sure with some trial and error a much better clutch will jack up the airflow.
Other observations: The fan is quiet under all conditions. At startup in a silty place I get a lot of dust until the clutch release.
PaulW
PS, The trans cooler has been a very expensive iterative process to get on that fits with its integral fan. That story is complicated and I won't go into that process here. PW

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree the TJ should not overheat with the stock setup. Honestly I am not sure its that much better than stock at this point only because it is starting to cool off and I can not test this effectively. In your situation I can see why a fan would be needed in order to keep the transmission happy.

I have the same exact part numbers as you do. One thing that I noticed is the fan clutch seems a lot more sensitive to temp changes. Right now because its colder I don't even hear the fan where as a couple weeks ago it was warm enough that the clutch was engage, and I could hear that it was engaged. Not super loud, I knew the fan was working.

How has the plastic held up? I know their are reports of it cracking, wondering if that effects the life span of the fan in water crossings or anything else compared to the stock metal one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reports for guys using junk yard fans found the hairline cracks and nobody ever reported a failure? They went ahead to use the old fans. Anyway I chose to get a new one.
I will check the fan when I take it off to do the fit check to use that part number when I do the Bronco update. I will report at that time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I chose to run a new one as well just for my sanity. That would be awesome if you could report back when you do the fit check on your bronco.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts