Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today myself and a couple of buddies (ok, way more them than me) installed the TF 2.5" coil lift on my 2011 JKU. We ran into a couple of issues that I just wanted to poll the forums to see if there is any issue...

1) When we installed the lift, we missed removing the front track bar. We were able to get everything installed. However, when we were done, I didn't have to recenter the steering wheel. I drove around real briefly and nothing felt or sounded out of whack. Is this anything I need to be concerned about?

2) I opted for the Bilstein 5100 shocks. When we went to install the front shocks, nothing we did would allow us to put the nut on with the Billstein supplies bushings. We even had a jack compressing the shock and trying to give us something to grip on... In the end, we just reused the original bushings from the stock shocks and it seemed to install much better. The original bushings are only a year old and did not look worn out or anything. Again, any issues with this?

PS I'll create a build thread later with oogly pictures. Tomorrow we're doing the rear bumper, tire carrier and ACE rails.

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

·
Registered
517 Posts
leadZERO said:
So, today myself and a couple of buddies (ok, way more them than me) installed the TF 2.5" coil lift on my 2011 JKU. We ran into a couple of issues that I just wanted to poll the forums to see if there is any issue...

1) When we installed the lift, we missed removing the front track bar. We were able to get everything installed. However, when we were done, I didn't have to recenter the steering wheel. I drove around real briefly and nothing felt or sounded out of whack. Is this anything I need to be concerned about?

2) I opted for the Bilstein 5100 shocks. When we went to install the front shocks, nothing we did would allow us to put the nut on with the Billstein supplies bushings. We even had a jack compressing the shock and trying to give us something to grip on... In the end, we just reused the original bushings from the stock shocks and it seemed to install much better. The original bushings are only a year old and did not look worn out or anything. Again, any issues with this?

PS I'll create a build thread later with oogly pictures. Tomorrow we're doing the rear bumper, tire carrier and ACE rails.

Thanks for the help,
Ryan
I installed that lift on my 2011 as well. You don't need to remove the front track bar just loosen the bolts so it settles to the new height. As far as the shock goes, I'm sure you noticed it put I'll put it out there anyway. The bushings atop the stock front shocks are two piece and when I removed mine the bottom half really liked where it was and took some pliers to remove.
I love the lift, enjoy

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
leadZERO said:

Thanks for the help,
Ryan
Not sure what you mean with the shocks. You missing parts?

You said you did not remove the TB?
What concerns me is-I am assuming you did not loosen ALL the control arm bolts (8) and TB bolts (4)

TF does say to do so in the instructions.

Best advice from me is to do so. Loosening all the bolts will allow the suspension to move to the new height.
Also prevent bushing bind.

You can do the front then back.

Support jeep by the frame with jack stands.
Support pumpkin with jack.
Loosen both upper and lower CA bolts.
Loosen 2 TB bolts. Put jeep back on the ground and shake the crap out of it. This will settle your suspension at the new ride height.
Last step is to torque the bolts to proper spec.
Do the same to the other side..

Drive it and see then if your steering needed to be reentered. I've heard one other case where it did not...

What i miss? :redface: it's early

Good luck

·
Registered
318 Posts
Kjeeper, you're starting to sound like an old pro now. :thumb:
And all before breakfast too? Nice.

X2

I just want to know if he ever gets to drive that Jeep or if he is on this forum night and day.:rofl: Keep up the good work buddy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts