Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lucky me, my (used) 18' Rubi RECON came with it. I have the original window sticker, and the first owner paid about $850 for it:rolleyes:, but TF was happy to confirm it is the very same piece they sell as "aftermarket" for all Jeeps. Good to know.
I am going to install 285/75R17 A/T Falkens on Tuesday. Since I want to keep my beloved Recon wheels, I also bought (4) Teraflex 1.25" adapters, so all good.

Now for the question.....while I was extending the diff breathers today, I got to look at it in detail, and it occurred to me the current, original stock 255/75R17 M/T spare tire/wheel barely fits back there. It's perfect and very snug. Do I need another spacer for the rear Tefaflex HD tire carrier to accept a bigger tire????:oops::oops::oops:

Somebody send me this link.....ugh

Is anybody running this set up with the TF HD tire carrier AND a 34"-35" tire on a stock wheel???

I'll order it if I have to, but i was curious to see what other have encountered, if anything.

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
it is adjustable. you do not need a spacer. I have run 255/75-17, 285/75, 295/70 along with 255/80-17 on stock recon rims and 285/75-17 and 35/12.5-17 on AEV rims and it has adjusted perfectly for all of them. dang i have run too many tires.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang, you have had too many tires:eek::)
So I have noticed it's adjustable, but it looks like it's "pulled out" as far as it'll go. I'm not sure, but if you have run 285/75s on stock Recon wheels, I'll wait till Tuesday when it goes in. Thanks for the reply!

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's it! 👏

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
When you have your wheel off you will see the two bolts that are used to cinch the carrier you will see what you have to do to pull it out further.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big difference. On top pic, you can barely grab the gate handle (or is it the pic??), and on the bottom theres a big gap between handle and tire.
Im running a TF high lift bracket too so I hope ive made tje right choice. Feels like (actual) 33.85" (285/75R17) would be ok.

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
I have run a 35 with the tf jack mount no problem. but then one day I realized the hi-lift had just followed me around for years without ever being used and I sold it.

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"The HiLift followed me around for years" hahaha😂 I used to use it with my Discovery, so we'll see. Hopefully not just a toy.
Alright you def. got good pics of every tire combo out there. My crap gotta fit!!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
So lucky me, my (used) 18' Rubi RECON came with it. I have the original window sticker, and the first owner paid about $850 for it:rolleyes:, but TF was happy to confirm it is the very same piece they sell as "aftermarket" for all Jeeps. Good to know.
I am going to install 285/75R17 A/T Falkens on Tuesday. Since I want to keep my beloved Recon wheels, I also bought (4) Teraflex 1.25" adapters, so all good.

Now for the question.....while I was extending the diff breathers today, I got to look at it in detail, and it occurred to me the current, original stock 255/75R17 M/T spare tire/wheel barely fits back there. It's perfect and very snug. Do I need another spacer for the rear Tefaflex HD tire carrier to accept a bigger tire????:oops::oops::oops:

Somebody send me this link.....ugh

Is anybody running this set up with the TF HD tire carrier AND a 34"-35" tire on a stock wheel???

I'll order it if I have to, but i was curious to see what other have encountered, if anything.
I'm running the TF hinged carrier on OEM rubicon wheels w/35x10.50 Kendas. I'm not using TF's wheel mount piece though; I still have the factory wheel mount in place.

Here are some shots of mine that I recently took for another thread to show my snubbers...

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
I'm running the TF hinged carrier on OEM rubicon wheels w/35x10.50 Kendas. I'm not using TF's wheel mount piece though; I still have the factory wheel mount in place.

Here are some shots of mine that I recently took for another thread to show my snubbers...

The factory option comes with the adjustable carrier.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok that looks good. My Falkens are not as big as that 35. My current STOCK 255/75 looks as tight to the carrier as yours (and @jadmt) so that makes sense. I should be able to pull out the TF mount outward a bit. Hopefully NOT have to move the studso_O within the bracket

·
Registered
3,041 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
Ok that looks good. My Falkens are not as big as that 35. My current STOCK 255/75 looks as tight to the carrier as yours (and @jadmt) so that makes sense. I should be able to pull out the TF mount outward a bit. Hopefully NOT have to move the studso_O within the bracket
it is not the studs you will have to move. there are 2 bolts that clamp the carrier from moving. you might need to just pull the inside one so the carrier will slide forward and then re-install it. it will be self evident when you have your tire off and look at how it works. I have never changed stud position even with a large Toyo 35.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope you boys are right. These things look huge on the shop's floor💪

Attachments

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts