Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing a TF Leveling kit on my 2015 Unlimited Sport and was wondering if it would be worth replacing the shocks/springs with some Rubicon shocks/springs? Would I gain more height or notice any added benefits?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
No such thing as "Rubicon springs." It all comes down to the spring number on the tag. The higher the number, the more firm the spring. Stiffer springs definitely come in handy when you have heavier bumpers and/or winch. What numbers are on your springs? You typically gain 1/4" height for each increase in spring number. As far as the shocks, the Rubicon shocks are gas filled and a better shock compared to the Sport shock. The ride will be more firm which you may or may not like. I did the shock swap on my Sport before I got Rancho 9000XL's and felt they were an upgrade. Good luck with your decisions.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No such thing as "Rubicon springs." It all comes down to the spring number on the tag. The higher the number, the more firm the spring. Stiffer springs definitely come in handy when you have heavier bumpers and/or winch. What numbers are on your springs? You typically gain 1/4" height for each increase in spring number. As far as the shocks, the Rubicon shocks are gas filled and a better shock compared to the Sport shock. The ride will be more firm which you may or may not like. I did the shock swap on my Sport before I got Rancho 9000XL's and felt they were an upgrade. Good luck with your decisions.
Here's a photo of the shocks I currently have. I was think about buying some rubicon takeoff shocks/springs on eBay.

image-3269939437.jpg

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Here's a photo of the shocks I currently have. I was think about buying some rubicon takeoff shocks/springs on eBay.

View attachment 2062521
The number on the spring that is important to know is the "17" (prior to the AC). Aside from the 10A springs, the fronts go up to 19 as far as the stiffest. The rear springs go up to 60. What are your rears? What are the numbers on the eBay springs? Knowing your numbers and the numbers of the ones you are thinking of buying is crucial to decide if it will be worth the cost/effort to change or not. Again, as far as the shocks, I say they are an upgrade.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The number on the spring that is important to know is the "17" (prior to the AC). Aside from the 10A springs, the fronts go up to 19 as far as the stiffest. The rear springs go up to 60. What are your rears? What are the numbers on the eBay springs? Knowing your numbers and the numbers of the ones you are thinking of buying is crucial to decide if it will be worth the cost/effort to change or not. Again, as far as the shocks, I say they are an upgrade.
Here's a photo of the rear shocks.

image-363047924.jpg

The ones on eBay I'm looking at are 17 and 59. So I'm guessing it may not be worth replacing the springs just the shocks

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Here's a photo of the rear shocks.

View attachment 2062553

The ones on eBay I'm looking at are 17 and 59. So I'm guessing it may not be worth replacing the springs just the shocks
Yeah, the fronts are the same and the rears only one number higher. Definitely not worth it for possibly 1/4" rear height increase which would give you more of the factory rake. Shocks on the other hand, an upgrade IMHO.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It would be better to do the TeraFlex performance leveling kit with the springs, than to do the spacer lift with Rubi springs

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be better to do the TeraFlex performance leveling kit with the springs, than to do the spacer lift with Rubi springs
I've read of possible sag from this kit. People having to call TF and ended up receiving a spacer to install to compensate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts