Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing a Terraflex Leveling Kit (1155200) in the next week or so and have a few questions. A lot of people recommend, which I'm going to follow, loosening the upper and lower control arms and then retightening them to spec once the Jeep is on the ground. My question is do you loosen both the axle side bolt and frame side bolt, or just the axle side bolt? If removing the front drive shaft (as shown in the TF YouTube install video) what is the torque specs of the four flange bolts when reinstalling? Thanks in advance for any help.

Forgot to mention, this is going on a 2014 Unlimited Sport

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm looking to do the same install in a week or so. Just got my kit yesterday.
The TF install video does not mention it, but it really wouldn't take that much and would be a good idea to do to prevent bushings from binding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixC0OzIF5Go

BTW: looks like we will be pretty close to twins. Im running 285/70/17s as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm going to be installing a Terraflex Leveling Kit (1155200) in the next week or so and have a few questions. A lot of people recommend, which I'm going to follow, loosening the upper and lower control arms and then retightening them to spec once the Jeep is on the ground. My question is do you loosen both the axle side bolt and frame side bolt, or just the axle side bolt? If removing the front drive shaft (as shown in the TF YouTube install video) what is the torque specs of the four flange bolts when reinstalling? Thanks in advance for any help. Forgot to mention, this is going on a 2014 Unlimited Sport
You shoud do on every control arm bolt! Both frane and axles side

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just did this last weekend on my 2014 JK.
There is another set of videos on youtube that covers this install one for front and one for rear.
I followed this method which was to do one corner at a time and did not touch the driveshaft at all.
I was also thinking about leaving the control arm bolts alone but at the last minute contacted teraflex and asked them about it. The reply I got was that it needed to be done and he didn't know why it wasn't included in the video.

As for the re-torquing of the control arm bolts to 125 ft/lbs not being a big deal, don't fool yourself. It ain't easy getting them to that 125 mark while lying on you back underneath the Jeep with the wheels on. We got it done but I can say I am sore as hell now.

Another tricky thing was getting those rear spacers to pop into the holes in the spring perch. For the drivers side I used the stock Jeep jack to force it into the hole a bottle jack would work for this as well. The piece of wood method didn't work for me. On the passenger side I had to use a dremel rotary tool to take some of the material off of the spacers lip to get it to fit into the hole. used the jack here as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips and help guys, it's greatly appreciated! Will post pics once I get everything installed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just did this last weekend on my 2014 JK.
There is another set of videos on youtube that covers this install one for front and one for rear.
I followed this method which was to do one corner at a time and did not touch the driveshaft at all.
I was also thinking about leaving the control arm bolts alone but at the last minute contacted teraflex and asked them about it. The reply I got was that it needed to be done and he didn't know why it wasn't included in the video.

As for the re-torquing of the control arm bolts to 125 ft/lbs not being a big deal, don't fool yourself. It ain't easy getting them to that 125 mark while lying on you back underneath the Jeep with the wheels on. We got it done but I can say I am sore as hell now.

Another tricky thing was getting those rear spacers to pop into the holes in the spring perch. For the drivers side I used the stock Jeep jack to force it into the hole a bottle jack would work for this as well. The piece of wood method didn't work for me. On the passenger side I had to use a dremel rotary tool to take some of the material off of the spacers lip to get it to fit into the hole. used the jack here as well.
this was my experience also

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All installed! It went very smoothly, the hardest part was actually re-torquing the control arms and track bars back to 125 ft/lbs because some of the bolts don't have a lot of room to get the torque wrench in there are have enough leverage. I also did have to re-center my steering wheel ever so slightly.

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
Rent a coil spring compressor or a strut compressor. They will save you from taking apart alot of stuff.
Can you explain more?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Advanced Auto or someone like that typically have a loaner program for specialty tools. A spring compressor does exactly as titled, it compresses the spring smaller so you don't have to lower the axle as much to free up the spring for removal.

Me personally, I don't like them. They can be dangerous, and you still need to loosen the bolts to get the suspension to settle anyhow.

Can you explain more?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Advanced Auto or someone like that typically have a loaner program for specialty tools. A spring compressor does exactly as titled, it compresses the spring smaller so you don't have to lower the axle as much to free up the spring for removal. Me personally, I don't like them. They can be dangerous, and you still need to loosen the bolts to get the suspension to settle anyhow.
I don't think they will help in this application. The area is too tight to be able to get compressors on there and be able to tighten them down. Too many things in the way.
Just follow the above videos, it's not too difficult.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I agree. Aside from that, the install is very strait forward anyhow.

I don't think they will help in this application. The area is too tight to be able to get compressors on there and be able to tighten them down. Too many things in the way.
Just follow the above videos, it's not too difficult.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All installed! It went very smoothly, the hardest part was actually re-torquing the control arms and track bars back to 125 ft/lbs because some of the bolts don't have a lot of room to get the torque wrench in there are have enough leverage. I also did have to re-center my steering wheel ever so slightly.
Looks Great, I am running the same kit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts